geared 36er

Old March 2nd 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Default geared 36er

maxcarriere wrote:
Thanks haper. So how fast are they ? Also you got any idea of
how much livewire would charge me ?

I think they're about as fast as you ride them. I think they would
charge you about what they cost.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Old March 2nd 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

maxcarriere wrote:
Alright, so you have to change the gears manually ? so When you want to
change gears you have to stop? corect me if I am wrong.. Also.. no
price is up on the website anyone got an idea of how much it should be
?

Cost for a Outta Phaze style geared Coker is probably going to be
expensive. If you have to ask how much it is going to be you probably
can't afford it.

I don't know if U-Turn has had any interest in the geared Outta Phaze
yet. Costs would likely include the design time necessary to get it
designed and then there's custom machining that needs to be done to
make the hub. U-Turn has the rights to the basic design but I don't
know if he has a specific design already engineered.

If you do ask him, make sure you're sitting down and ready for a
wallop. At worst then you'll end up pleasantly surprised if it comes
in under your expectations.

A very cool unicycle though. I predict that an Outta Phaze will
ultimately end up owning the hour record and the 100 mile record.

Course with the gearing ratio possibilities with the Outta Phaze design
you could make it with a 29er wheel rather than the Coker wheel. Just
gear it up more. You'll end up with a lighter wheel. Might be better
that way for speed and endurance records.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old March 2nd 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheeliefine[_2_]

On Mar 2, 3:58 pm, john_childs
. com wrote:
maxcarriere wrote:
[...]

john_childs's Profile:http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
View this thread:http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58509

Hans Fiby rode a geared (1 / 1.5 ratios) 36"er on the SINZ unitour.
It was a Schlumpf hub (are there any others?) which he bought together
with the frame and had fitted up. It was pretty quick.

See also:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44599
http://www.sinzuni.org/

Old March 2nd 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

You can get schlumpf geared 36ers, loosemoose has one. Basically you buy
the hub cranks and frame from schlumpf, then buy a rim, spokes, tyre,
seat etc. and stick the lot together. Expect to pay in excess of £1k
($2k) for it though. I've ridden it quite a lot and it's a good setup,
albeit tricky to change gears at speed.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 2nd 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Wheeliefine wrote:

Hans Fiby rode a geared (1 / 1.5 ratios) 36"er on the SINZ unitour.
It was a Schlumpf hub (are there any others?) which he bought together
with the frame and had fitted up. It was pretty quick.

Yes, the Schlumpf hub in a Coker wheel would be the other option.

The two styles of geared unicycles we currently have are the Schlumpf
style hub and the Outta Phaze style jackshaft gearing.

I was talking about the Outta Phaze style that LiveWire Unicycles
(U-Turn) can make. Of course U-Turn could also make a geared Coker
using the Schlumpf hub too.

Some info on the Outta Phaze design are he
http://www.livewireunicycles.com/Outta%20Phaze.htm

Old March 2nd 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Wheeliefine wrote:
(are there any others?)

Yes. The originals. Franks Bonsch's '(Unifrank)'
(http://freenet-homepage.de/unifrank/hub_engl.htm) and 'mine'
(http://staff.washington.edu/gharper/FinishedHub.htm).

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Old March 2nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

Greg, why is the axle so wide? I don't really have any experience with
geared unicycles, I rode a 36" geared for a minute or two at Unicon and
it was quite disapointing... saying that the unicycle had 125mm or
140mm cranks on which didn't get me more speed than 80mm or 90mm, a 36"
with short cranks would probably ride better. Maybe Greg can answer
this question, why are all the gear ratio's so small? Myself I would be
going for a smaller wheel and a heavier gear ratio instead of a big
wheel with a 'small' ratio like 1.5 is it because above 1.5/1.6 is
mechanically impossible or is there a longer train of thoughts behind
it?

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

Old March 2nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

DustinSchaap wrote:
Greg, why is the axle so wide? I don't really have any experience with
geared unicycles, I rode a 36" geared for a minute or two at Unicon and
it was quite disapointing... saying that the unicycle had 125mm or
140mm cranks on which didn't get me more speed than 80mm or 90mm, a 36"
with short cranks would probably ride better. Maybe Greg can answer
this question, why are all the gear ratio's so small? Myself I would be
going for a smaller wheel and a heavier gear ratio instead of a big
wheel with a 'small' ratio like 1.5 is it because above 1.5/1.6 is
mechanically impossible or is there a longer train of thoughts behind
it?

The first pass making the geared hub, I wanted enough taper on the axle
to make sure I could get any cranks on it. I was unfamiliar with making
the tapers. It increased the "Q" substantially and when I made the
first hardened axle upgrade I shortened it to match the CroMoly axle
profiles.

The limit of the simple planetary hub gear ratio in this mode (fixed
sun, driven planets, hub connected ring) is 2. The 2 is actually
unattainable because it requires infinitesmally small planet gears. The
ratio goes as

1+sun/ring

where sun is the number of teeth in the sun gear and ring is the number
of teeth in the ring gear. The sun/ring ratio is limited by

ring=sun+2*planet

where planet is the number of teeth in a planet gear. Higher gear
ratios require going to a compound gearing system. This adds quite a
bit of weight and complexity.

I personally think that the larger and heavier the wheel is the more
stable the ride is. I have ridden light 24" up through Coker wheels in
1.5 mode and found that stability increases with diameter and weight
or, better, stability increases with wheel inertia.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Old March 2nd 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Here's 'a picture of me'
(http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2480482#130140839) on the
Schlumpf 36" I rode in the Marathon at Unicon last summer. I don't know
the status of being able to order one of these directly, the story on
this particular one, etc. It belongs to Roger Davies.

The nice thing about it is you can cruise along at a nice clip without
having to pedal so fast. The downside is you have to pay *a lot* more
attention to keep it balanced. I was not able to ride at (or near) the
speed of the front group in the race. Due to my lack of conditioning
for such a long race however, I think I got a better time on that cycle
than I would have on an ungeared Coker. Maybe. My experiences in that
race are described in great detail in some similar threads.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old March 2nd 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

Will any square taper crank arm fit the geared Schlumpf?

--
Daytripper63
Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789