42mm Bearing clamp fabrication?

Old March 6th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chrome

Default 42mm Bearing clamp fabrication?

I'm wondering if anyone has fabricated their own bearing clamps for a
home made uni frame? I've seen 40mm United clamps at UDC, but I'm
looking for 42mm to hold a Moment hub. Something pre machined would
work also, as I can braze them onto the frame....

Cr

--
chrome
chrome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12885

Old March 6th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

chrome wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has fabricated their own bearing clamps for a
home made uni frame? I've seen 40mm United clamps at UDC, but I'm
looking for 42mm to hold a Moment hub. Something pre machined would
work also, as I can braze them onto the frame....

Cr

I know for a fact, and experience, that the Moment bearings fit into
the standard 40mm holders. No problems at all - just use the Uniteds.

--
UniTyler
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old March 6th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chrome

Cool! Which frame is your Moment hub in?

Old March 8th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

chrome wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has fabricated their own bearing clamps for a
home made uni frame? I've seen 40mm United clamps at UDC, but I'm
looking for 42mm to hold a Moment hub. Something pre machined would
work also, as I can braze them onto the frame....

Cr

I have fabricated some... not an easy way to go. plus mine give me
trouble some times because it doesn't fit perfectly
if you are building a frame I would advise buying some main caps off
udc. it is the easiest way to go about abtaining some

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

Unicaw89 wrote:
Koxx rapes Torker hard!

unifreak7 wrote:
Where they should be - Holding your unicycle, ready to quit kissing and
get out and practice.

torkerdx's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12543

Old March 8th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

It seems that people have had most sucess machining bearing collars to
the size they need to make thier own bearing holders. But I ran 42mm
bearings (03 KH hub) in a 40mm frame (nimbus II extra-wide) for years
no problems.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 8th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

chrome wrote:
Cool! Which frame is your Moment hub in?

My Moment hub is in a Yuni 24" frame set up with a DX32 rim, 165mm KH
cranks, and a Duro Leopard 3" tire.

|Filename: mini-DSCF5668.JPG |

Old March 8th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chrome

I appreciate the information.

A friend of mine has built like 15 or 20 MTBs. He's encouraging me to
build my own uni frame. I'll learn how to spoke and true my wheel. It
will be an opportunity to learn something new. I've had a good
industrial education, and he has a garage full of machine tools. I can
weld and machine the components.

Should the bearing holders have a circumferential flange on each side
of the bearing? The bearing holders in Jack Wiley's book are made from
tubing, without a flange on the inside or outside. There is probably a
strength advantage in capturing both sides the outer bearing race?

Cr

Old March 8th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Without a flange on atleast one side you're relying on the friction to
hold the wheel central, this may well not be enough as you can't
tighten down on the bearings very tightly. Ideally you'd like a flange
on both sides, if you only put them on the outside then the frame can
still splay outwards. You can achieve this effect by welding a plate
over the end of a machine collar, it doesn't necessarily require
machine work.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 8th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim_Rob

Check out this thread;

http://tinyurl.com/38zu9k

We have made both 40 and 42mm holders, and about 5 frames total. And we
just happen to have some bearing holders for sale. PM me if you are
interested.

--
Jim_Rob

TTFN- JR

The Sage claims nothing, and so cannot be reproached, Lao Tzu
Jim_Rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3824

Old March 8th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclepa

if you want plans for the kh ones i can give them to you

[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../Picture1.jpg]

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
team YAMS member in your sig or title and say
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246