Diabetic Unicyclists

Old March 6th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

Default Diabetic Unicyclists

I am diagnosed with type one diabetes. Am I alone here?

--
dunawan

dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Old March 7th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

My niece, who is deaf, is also type I. She can ride, but doesn't do it
often. Don't worry, there are others as well!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old March 7th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Peter Haworth

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:28:37 -0600, dunawan wrote:
I am diagnosed with type one diabetes. Am I alone here?

I was diagnosed 13 years ago, within a year of learning to ride (I
don't remember exactly how long it was, or even which came first).

Unicycle conventions play merry hell with my control, what with the
usually extreme differences to my normal food, exercise and sleep
patterns (not to mention climate and timezone if it's abroad). So I
just have to keep a closer eye on things by doing more blood tests,
and being prepared to adjust my sugar levels up or down at any time
with extra food or insulin.

As with any other activity, diabetes is no reason to give it up.
I have shied away from endurance races though, but this is due in
equal part to my wimpiness.

--
Peter Haworth
"There are two kinds of people, those who finish

Old March 7th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

I'm type 2.
I've been injecting myself with insulin twice a day for the last
eighteen years.
The novelty wore off after about a month.

When I go riding I always make sure I have a bottle or two of Lucozade
in my rucksack.
Never had a hypo on the wheel.
Yet.

--
Into the blue

\"now listen up, you primitive screwheads...see this?...this is my
-boom- stick!\"
Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084

Old March 7th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

Wait...
I can never remember if type 2 is injection dependant or tablet
dependant.

Whatever.
I'm on injections.

Old March 7th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

Its not stopping me from riding. Nothing will stop me from unicycling.
The only thing that would stop me is if I was physicly unable to ride a
unicycle (God forbid). And even at that I would still try to find a way
around it.

Old March 7th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

dunawan wrote:
I am diagnosed with type one diabetes. Am I alone here?

I was diagnosed type 1 about 5 years ago and inject myself with
quick-acting insulin every time I eat anything with carbohydrates and
with long-acting insulin just before going to bed at night.

I took up unicycling about 1.5 years ago. Started on a 24 inch wheel
and then got interested in distance riding and now ride mostly on the
Nimbus 29er. I ride at least 30 minutes everyday with frequent rides
of about an hour or so. Last year, I participated in the American
Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure and completed 30 miles of the first
day on my uni. It was a tough 5-hour ride with lots of hills and I
still felt like a beginner. I didn't know about seatpost rail adapters
then and it was the seat discomfort that ultimately stopped me from
finishing. Diabetes management was challenging on the ride in that it
was very hard to eat enough to keep my glucose up. I found that after
the first two hours, I needed about 35 grams of carbohydrates every 20
minutes while riding with no insulin dosing. Checking on the glucose
level every ten miles or so helps. I'm considering trying again this
year.

I've noticed a direct association between my glucose levels and my
unicycling performance. Of course, when I am hypoglycemic (below 75
mg/dL), it's very difficult to balance and ride. But it's interesting
that even with glucose levels between 80 and 100, I have a more
difficult time freemounting and carving out turns. My best performance
occurs when my glucose level is between 120 and 150. Higher than 150,
and my performance degrades again. I carry a granola bars with me all
the time so that I can immediately correct any hypoglycemia. In fact,
I mounted a small under-seat bike pouch on the seat post of my Nimbus -
inside: ID with Diabetic alert info and phone numbers, granola bar,
coins for a phone call, and bandaids. It's always there for
emergencies. Gotta wear wrist and hand protection because diabetics
are at greater risk of infections. When I am not unicycling, I try to
keep my glucose levels between 80 and 110.

Sounds like a lot of work, but actually, unicycling helps me manage my
diabetes better. I am better aware of my glucose levels and because of
this awareness, I am in better control.

Good luck,
-David

--
abridged
abridged's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11292

Old March 7th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

abridged wrote:
I was diagnosed type 1 about 5 years ago and inject myself with
quick-acting insulin every time I eat anything with carbohydrates and
with long-acting insulin just before going to bed at night.

I use the Humalog pen for my fast-acting (every time i eat) and 22
units of Lantus every night and every morning. ( Im guessing the
Humalog pen and lantus is also what you use.)

Old March 7th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

That was a great post by abridged!

My neice has a pump. The old pump required monitoring, and basically
did an automatic "base" injection, but you still had to test and bolis
yourself around meals and when needed. I think she's getting a new pump
that monitors her blood sugar all by itself. If it works, it should
have a huge impact on her long-term health as the extreme highs and
lows she sometimes hit have long-term effects. Plus I don't think she
has to stick herself anymore, or at least not as much.

For abridged, I wonder if on-ride stuff like Power-Gel would work for
the big rides? Or they might hit you with too much glucose at once? I
have found they work well for me in the right circumstances, namely a
long race or other long, hard event. They are much less useful for
recreational rides, or rides with a lot of stops.

Old March 7th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan