What makes an expensive unicycle worth it?

Old March 10th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ctaba67ny

Default What makes an expensive unicycle worth it?

I have 3 unicycles altogether worth about $100. I love riding them and
enjoying them. I don't go off road and do any tricks. My friend is
always wanting to buy a new expensive Chris Horn. Why buy a $300+ uni
if these seem to fit my needs?

UniNewbie

--
ctaba67ny
ctaba67ny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14475

Old March 10th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

expensive unicycles can take more abuse, and due to their more suited
components (stronger rims, strong cranks, fatter tires, more
comfortable seats, bigger, grippier pedals) makes riding tougher
terrain more enjoyable, and comfortable for much longer.

Chances are...your riding doesn't suit a $100 unicycle...your $100
unicycle limits what you are able to experience in terms of what you
could actually get out and do if you had the equipment to allow you to
push the limits.

Hope that makes sense.

But if 'actually' find your $100 all you need, then great, good stuff,
keep with it.

PS...It's Kris Holm

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVDs now available from www.LBMmultimedia.com :
'NAUCC 2006' (http://tinyurl.com/lrvln)
'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old March 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

ctaba67ny wrote:
I have 3 unicycles altogether worth about $100. I love riding them and
enjoying them. I don't go off road and do any tricks. My friend is
always wanting to buy a new expensive Chris Horn. Why buy a $300+ uni
if these seem to fit my needs?

UniNewbie

I've got two expensive unicycles: a Nimbus 29er (which I use for XC
muni) and a UDC 36er. Both have been customised by me since I bought
them...

These were worth the money to me simply because I wanted to ride longer
distances, and higher speeds, in more comfort and bigger wheels help
with that - and run-of-the-mill "cheap" unis like you find in a bike
shop rarely have larger than a 24" wheel.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Old March 10th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
musketman

ctaba67ny wrote:
a new expensive Chris Horn.

lol

It depends on what kind of riding your doing. If you are taking drops,
and are going on rouph road that a stronger unicycle is needed then a
Chris Horn unicycle might be a step up for you. If you are simply
riding around, and not doing anything to big or being hard on your
unicycle, then your just waisting money by buying a Kris Holm unicycle.
So you decide if you need it or not.

--
musketman

MUSKETMAN
www.unicycle.com

For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

Old March 10th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

ctaba67ny wrote:
Why buy a $300+ uni if these seem to fit my needs?

If they really fit your needs then there's no point, but most riders
would be severley limited in the riding they wanted to do with a cheap
uni, and would break a lot of equipment which is both expensive and
dangerous.

I have two 'expensive' unis, a KH24 muni and a nimbus 36 tourer. I
used to have a much cheaper muni (still about $300) and i broke nearly
every component on it, I'm sure i spent more on it in total than I did
on my 'expensive' muni. As for the nimbus, I want to learn to ride
really long distance and it's just easier on a uni with more expensive
components like a good quality rim, good handle/seat setup for comfort
etc.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 11th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

sounds like you are happy with your unis, if you are truley happy then
why change eh? if they realy suit your needs (wants) stick with what
you got but if stuff starts to break then getting a new tougher uni
will probably save you some money and greef.

PS the KH is overkill if you dont do any offroad but it should last
forever.

--
saskatchewanian

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

Old March 11th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chris.James

who needs an expensive unicycle? just get this, it says "heavy duty"

http://www.danscomp.com/101471.php?cat=PARTS

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
to watch we don't land in dog poop.....

Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Old March 11th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni57

Welcome, ctaba67ny.

Have you been to a 'New York Unicycle Club'
(http://www.newyorkunicycle.com/) meeting yet? We are an informal club
with riders of all skill levels. You can take the 1 train to 116th (or
125th) and Broadway. We meet just a few blocks away. It's all on our
web site.

Hope to see you soon! Our next meeting is Saturday, March 17. Look
for the guy with the purple coker (me).

--
uni57

20 GOTO 10
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old March 11th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Chris.James wrote:
who needs an expensive unicycle? just get this, it says "heavy duty"

http://www.danscomp.com/101471.php?cat=PARTS

Isn't the seat on the wrong way round in the featured picture!?!

Old March 11th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Your $100 unicycle may suit you fine, as you say that you don't do
tricks or ried off road. But eventually I would think that you will
want to expand your skills to include either tricks(Freestyle or
street), or overcoming terrain obstacles (trials or MUni).

When you start to do these things, you will start to break your
unicycle. A more expensive unicycle will last much longer. But like you
say, if you don't need a more expensive unicyle, it makes no sense to
spend the money, however, a cheap unicycle may begin to limit what you
are able to do.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ