unicycling-a future sport?

Old March 12th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
epistolize

Default unicycling-a future sport?

the future is now

and you better not quit making it justin, cos i'm sure not going to
despite my not being so great just now

--
epistolize

affirmation: i will hit tricks in a heavy stylee, quit prehoppin and
flow freely
organise my thughts into lines
and WORK "I lli T!
eratepeoplegetthefulleffectofalphabetsoup?"
epistolize's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11876

Old March 12th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

unicycling is at a good size right now. i like the feeling of intimacy
among other riders, and also the safety of bringing a unicycle
anywhere. since not many ride it, it probally won't get stolen. and
even if it does get stolen, the market for unicycles is so small that
it would be easy to track down.

extreme unicycling is like bike trials riding. people think your crazy,
but also awesome at the same time. if we grew to the size of bike
trials i'd be happy.

--
zfreak220

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

howdigetsogood wrote:
man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=57071), oh wait
nevermind i still do.

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old March 12th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
KlownLife

tholub wrote:
Let's be realistic here; unicycling just isn't that impressive to watch.
We will never have anything like the half-pipe that drives the
spectator popularity of skateboarding, or the dirt jumps that drive the
popularity of BMX. For us, big air is an 8-set; that doesn't play on
ESPN2.

Ride because it's fun!

I hate to break it to you, but it was the popularity of street skating
that made skateboarding what it is today. Yes, half pipes are extreme
and unicycling doesn't have that element in it, but within the skating
community vert skating is practically dead and buried. You hear it all
the time, that there are no vert skaters coming in because all the kids
are skating street. So for me that arguement means nothing as far as
unicycling is concerned.

Ride because it's fun, ofcourse, I think that's why we all started and
ofcourse why we keep going, but what's wrong with having ambition and a
goal at the end of it.

Unicycling is what you make it and if you don't wanna be a star then
you shouldn't have to be but that doesn't mean we are gonna stop
trying.

Damn right justin, Get big or die trying!

Jason

--
KlownLife

One hop is a gift, two hops...now you're just taking the ****!

unifreak7 wrote:
To me believing in yourself not only helps if your going really big. If
there's no fear, (tech stuff), it doesn't really matter, It's just what
the body does.

-Shaun Johanneson

KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

Old March 12th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

KlownLife wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but it was the popularity of street skating
that made skateboarding what it is today. Yes, half pipes are extreme
and unicycling doesn't have that element in it, but within the skating
community vert skating is practically dead and buried. You hear it all
the time, that there are no vert skaters coming in because all the kids
are skating street. So for me that arguement means nothing as far as
unicycling is concerned.

Ride because it's fun, ofcourse, I think that's why we all started and
ofcourse why we keep going, but what's wrong with having ambition and a
goal at the end of it.

In the amount of time it takes to learn how to ride a unicycle, someone
could already be doing ollies up curbs. By the time the new unicyclist
can hop up a curb, the skateboarder could have three or four tricks
down and be connecting them on the street. It's a big barrier to
entry.

Not to mention the fact that it's easy to pose with a skateboard, and
stupid to pose with a unicycle. Lots of people go out and buy boards
just because they look cool; you have to be really good on a unicycle
before it can even begin to look cool (and even then, people will ask
if you're a clown).

I think it would be really cool to see unicycling in the X Games or
whatever, but it just doesn't seem likely.

--
tholub

Old March 12th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

tholub wrote:
In the amount of time it takes to learn how to ride a unicycle, someone
could already be doing ollies up curbs. By the time the new unicyclist
can hop up a curb, the skateboarder could have three or four tricks
down and be connecting them on the street. It's a big barrier to
entry.

I think it would be really cool to see unicycling in the X Games or
whatever, but it just doesn't seem likely.

I'm inclined to agree, as an example riding this weekend with some
mates in an MTB park, I can jump on a mates bike and take it down the
track much faster than I can a uni, and with more air, even tho i've
been riding muni for years, and this is only the second time I've riden
a bike on a dirt track.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 13th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

believe me, if i could ride my unicycle for a living, i wouldn't be
getting a degree in college. but, then again, i'd be obligated to
ride.

more than getting large by far, i would like it to remain strong. the
unicycling community prides itself because it's so tight knit. the
social/networking structure that unicycling has, isn't seen in big
sports like skateboarding, and bmx for example.

--
TrialsUni

If you can do it easier seat-in, don't go seat-out [-my new trials
mantra, influenced from trials discussions with Sponge on MSN
Messenger-]
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

Old March 13th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_jim

If unicycling got as big as skateboarding, i might have to concider
quiting. One of the gratest aspects of uniing is that it is an
unconventional sport, and the people who do participate can get excited
when they see someone else on a unicycle. There is no way that the
sport can't grow, but it more than likely won't become a mainstream
activity. As for people being posers, it is the easiest thing in
skateboarding (mom buys you a setup, a pair of DC's, and a West 49
t-shirt, then you go stand around the local skatepark looking cool) but
on a unicycle, it doesn't work. You can't stand in the corner with your
Bedford getup and a KH 20 and expect people to show you respect unless
you can actually ride the thing! I think that 30% of skaters in my area
are posers, and if 30% of skating's market disappeared, it would not be
nearly as large of an empire as it is now. Anyway ride hard, ride on!

--
uni_jim

Beware of the pixies!
uni_jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13559

Old March 13th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
one wheely

Everyone's talking about this big influx of noobies that suddenly hit
the forums/join the sport and wreck everything. That's already
happening, but it's a gradual change and occurs over a couple of years
so you hardly notice it.

As for the time that it takes you to learn everything on a unicycle,
that's just part of why the sport is so unique and fun.

If unicycling was to be a part of the x-games i think this would bring
a lot of people in, but it'd change the culture of it. Freestlye would
be forgotten and everything would just be about the extreem-ness of it.

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

BillyTheMountain wrote:
End Bike Supremacy! Refuse to be marginalized!!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
*Power to the Unicyclists!! Right on!!*

one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

Old March 13th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phthoruth

If everyone unicycled, we'd probably take up bicycling. I think it
should stay a nitch sport. But it would be cool to see uni in X Games

--
phthoruth
phthoruth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11491

Old March 13th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

one wheely wrote:
Everyone's talking about this big influx of noobies that suddenly hit
the forums/join the sport and wreck everything. That's already
happening, but it's a gradual change and occurs over a couple of years
so you hardly notice it.

As for the time that it takes you to learn everything on a unicycle,
that's just part of why the sport is so unique and fun.

If unicycling was to be a part of the x-games i think this would bring
a lot of people in, but it'd change the culture of it. Freestlye would
be forgotten and everything would just be about the extreem-ness of it.

I have only been riding for just over a year and am fairly new to the
forums so you could count me in the influx of noobies, I hope we aren’t
wreaking everything

But seriously I think that the sport is growing because of some key
people and organizations like UDC, Kris Holm, John Foss, Daren Bedford,
and anyone else who are making unicycles either more visible or
available to the public. I agree that the x-games would be a huge boost
to the popularity of unicycling initially but unless becomes a standard
event it probably wont have much of a lasting effect.

I believe that unicycling is here to stay due to its long history and
loose conection with biking and we all know that bikes will never be a
thing of the past (or at least we can hope!). Unicycling is definitely
getting more popular but I don’t think it will ever be mainstream.

--
saskatchewanian

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

rec.sport.unicycling tr4nspo Unicycling 24 June 9th 06 08:22 PM
rec.sport.unicycling trials_uni Unicycling 0 June 7th 06 10:05 PM
rec.sport.unicycling Eroick Unicycling 0 June 7th 06 09:56 PM
Future of Unicycling. juggle508 Unicycling 35 September 6th 05 09:18 AM
The future Australain unicycling newsletter... andrew_carter Unicycling 16 November 7th 03 08:15 AM