Do typical trikes have a gearshift?

Old April 21st 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Default Do typical trikes have a gearshift?

On Apr 20, 3:14 pm, Medical Physics IT Officer Peter Clinch wrote:
Epicyclic hub gear systems are nothing new, but often have limited
range. The Rohloff Speedhub is a notable exception, and is
available as a standard option on several recumbent trikes from the
factory, and could be fitted to many others. It gives a 520%
overall gearing range, and can be changed while stood still as well
as while you're going. The catch is they have a very big price
tag, but since recumbent trikes tend not to be cheap to start with,
and tend to be ridden by folks willing to spend $$$s on cycling,
they're more common in the recumbent world than you might think.
And another way would be a Schlumpf bottom bracket mounted over or
under drive, which is a twin speed system changed with a heel
button at the crank centre. The Mountain Drive gears you down 2.5
times, the Super Speed Drive gears you up 2.5 times, so if you're
on the "big" range you can gear down quite dramatically at standstill.

Several trikes combine the Rohloff hub and Schlumpf bottom bracket.

Medical Physics IT Officer Peter Clinch neglects to mention the third
member of the "family", the Schlumpf Speed Drive [1] which has a
1.65:1 ratio.

[1] http://www.schlumpf.ch/sd_engl.htm.

Old April 21st 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Poulsen

"Rich Grise" skrev i en meddelelse
news
10-speed bikes, of course, have the derailleurs; but if you make an
emergency stop in high gear, you have to screw around with it to get
it back to low gear so that you can get going again. Are trikes like
that?

Ever heard of the Leitra trike? As a standard it combines a rear derailleur
with an internal 3 speed hub.

Note the fairing when checking out this site:

www.leitra.dk

Peter Poulsen

Old April 22nd 07, 01:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
Several trikes combine the Rohloff hub and Schlumpf bottom bracket.

I took a bit of interest in the Rohlhoff hub lately. Or at least, I was
interested until I saw what a Rohlhoff /costs/....

But anyway-

I read where people opined that using the Rohlhoff with the Mt Drive was
not recommended as it would impact the Rohlhoff's durability.

I was quite surprised to see (on their own website, no less) that
Rohlhoff does not recommend using their hub with *either* of the
Schlumph drives.
~
Old April 22nd 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Apr 21, 7:29 pm, DougC wrote:
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

Several trikes combine the Rohloff hub and Schlumpf bottom bracket.

I took a bit of interest in the Rohlhoff hub lately. Or at least, I was
interested until I saw what a Rohlhoff /costs/....

But anyway-

I read where people opined that using the Rohlhoff with the Mt Drive was
not recommended as it would impact the Rohlhoff's durability.

I was quite surprised to see (on their own website, no less) that
Rohlhoff does not recommend using their hub with *either* of the
Schlumph drives.

Rohloff does not appear to prohibit the use of the Schlumpf Speed
Drive [2] with its 1:1.65 overdrive ratio, only the Mountain Drive and
High Speed Drive.

[1] http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?
id=308&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=416&tx_ttnews[backPid]=289&cHash=000f1ebb36&L=1.
[2] http://www.schlumpf.ch/sd_engl.htm.