A March on Washington... on Bicycle?

Old November 15th 08, 04:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 14, 10:00*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Dane Buson writes:

In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats wrote:
In article KingOfTheApes writes:

But since
you say biking is so dangerous, and neither the Republican Party nor
the Democratic Party is the solution, who's the solution?

Solution to /what/ -- your disinformation about the supposed
"dangerousness" of cycling? *The solution to that is
pretty obvious, but you're still here.

I will admit that sometimes truly I long for the day where you can
deliver a punch to the face over TCP/IP. *It would purely make for a
much politer interblag.

I allow I may be encouraging Sgt Simian, by responding
to, and rebutting his inanities.

But I'm certain that ignoring him would actually
encourage him all the more, as that would let
his destructive fearmongering go unchallenged.
To further explain my point:

most regular perusers of these various x-posted
newsgroups recognize his hogwash for what it is.

But my concern is about incipient new ridership who
may be affected to any degree. *The very subject
line of this thread was obviously designed to
dissuade people who may be considering bicycling.
Then he throws in unsubstantiated, unqualified,
unquantified, ostensibly hearsay statements like:
"Accident statistics on bicycling are horrific per
mile traveled."

Great way to promote bicycling, eh?

Impugning people with certain /federal/
political leanings, for some alleged sorry
state of affairs is just a feint to divert
attention, so his planted seeds of Fear,
Uncertainty & Doubt (about the safety of
bicycling) might quietly and subtly sprout in
the minds of folks thinking about taking up
the bicycling avocation.
The ol' hit-'n-run propaganda technique.

His seeds are weeds in a garden. *We can't
ignore weeds in a garden. *Not for very long,
anyway.

There's no garden. There's simply a jungle on American roads, and
possibly in Canada. NO LANE DISCIPLINE, NO LAWS AGAINST CELL PHONES,
NO RESPECT FOR CYCLISTS.

Ride at your own risk, and hope that if you are hit, it doesn't become
another HIT AND RUN, something very common around here.

And to anybody in the world who is considering
[re]joining the ranks of bicyclists: there are
plenty of resources available on-line, in hard
copy, at your local cycling clubs and among your
cycling compatriots & peers, from which to learn
to ride safely and enjoyably. *If you see people
already riding safely and enjoyably in your own
parts of the world, that should be proof enough
that BananaCreamBoy is working against you.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.

Yeah, you sure sound like a very unsafe person.
Old November 15th 08, 05:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default TAME TRAFFIC AND/OR BUILD BIKE FACILITIES

On Nov 15, 1:45*am, wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:00 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

But my concern is about incipient new ridership who
may be affected to any degree. *The very subject
line of this thread was obviously designed to
dissuade people who may be considering bicycling.
Then he throws in unsubstantiated, unqualified,
unquantified, ostensibly hearsay statements like:
"Accident statistics on bicycling are horrific per
mile traveled."

Great way to promote bicycling, eh?

Well horrific is a subjective term but it is true that bicycling has
per-mile injury rates far higher than driving. We shouldn't be too
surprised by that. Most of the injuries to bicyclists (80%) are
caused by falling off, wiping out, things motorists don't have to
worry about. And then, when a car and bike smash together, only the
bicyclist gets hurt. Bicycling may be a little more deadly than
driving but neither is remotely likely to result in fatality.
Motorcyclists have far worse fatality rates than anyone but better
injury rates than bicyclists. Again it is easy to predict this stuff
that is found in the numbers.

Bicycling has benefits that can't be gained any other way. That's the
difference that we need to get across to beginners or potential new
riders, and what is often forgotten when people start talking about
the danger of riding. The benefits dwarf the dangers.

People who are safety obsessed about bicycling are probably barking up
the wrong tree. There is no safety in traffic. The only cure is to not
leave the house. People who are too paranoid to ride a bike on the
street get in a car and go 80mph on the highway without a second
thought. That's simply irrational behavior. But bicycling has its
dangers and they should be acknowledged. Here in particular, the truth
shall set us free. The truth is that bicycling is the superior mode,
providing superior health benefits and other benefits as well as
superlatively efficient transportation, despite a relatively high
injury rate.

And I think it's okay to acknowledge that, because of the unique
challenges of riding a bike, bicycling may not be for everybody. Like
el Banana for instance.

Neither for 99% of Americans who do NOT dare ride on the road. First
you have to TAME TRAFFIC AND/OR BUILD BIKE FACILITIES. Did I say that
before?

The other day I went down this very dangerous causeways where I've had
so many incidents before, and for the first time I obeyed the law...
and walked my bike across bridge. It took me over 5 min. of walking
and a lot of care not miss my step on a sidewalk that's only 2 1/2'
wide. Yeah, someone has determined that this bridge in not rideable,
but I'm sure he hasn't walked it either. He probably forgot that a
bicycle IS a vehicle in Florida.

I felt like a piece of trash, humiliated and mad. So I decided to ride
it back against all laws, including the law of the jungle, which is
the most prevalent around here. So it is incidents like this that keep
me coming back to the Internet, and making a lot of noise.

Well, it's not chaotic noise, but the clear cry of "lion!"

Here's a video of how the lions can be fought...

BATTLE AT KRUGER (THE PERFECT METAPHOR)

*WITHOUT SOLIDARITY WE ARE LUNCH!!!*

http://mybignoise.blogspot.com/2007/...of-jungle.html
Old November 15th 08, 05:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Nov 15, 3:28*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Many residential streets are safe for cycling but some aren't. Same goes for
roads both rural and urban. High speed highways with no shoulders are never
safe for cyclists. Bike lanes are not as safe as some think. Bike paths are
the safest provided they do not become too crowded. Ergo, we should all work
for bike paths as much as possible.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

You've come down in the evil scale by 3 points. Now you stand at 7
(passing grade). Keep up the good work!
Old November 16th 08, 01:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]
The Internet was created so smart and civilized behavior prevailed in
the jungle. But there still some alpha male apes that relapse to
primitive behavior. Usually cured with a banana.

There is no animal so disgusting, so vile that it deserves comparison to
you, for even the lowest, dirtiest, most parasitic member of the animal
kingdom fills an ecological niche. You fill no niche.
To call you a parasite would be injurious to the thousands of honest
parasitic species. You are worse than vermin, for vermin does not pretend
to be what it is not. You are truly human garbage.

****ing Regards,

Old November 16th 08, 01:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 3:28 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
Many residential streets are safe for cycling but some aren't. Same goes
for
roads both rural and urban. High speed highways with no shoulders are
never
safe for cyclists. Bike lanes are not as safe as some think. Bike paths
are
the safest provided they do not become too crowded. Ergo, we should all
work
for bike paths as much as possible.

You've come down in the evil scale by 3 points. Now you stand at 7

(passing grade). Keep up the good work!

Every time you make allusions to your animals of the jungle you will get
nothing but invective from me. Either reform yourself and start making some
sense or get used to being called a scumbag. Also, learn how to edit a post
so we do not have to keep wading through the same old **** over and over.

Old November 16th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
writes:
On Nov 14, 8:00 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

But my concern is about incipient new ridership who
may be affected to any degree. The very subject
line of this thread was obviously designed to
dissuade people who may be considering bicycling.
Then he throws in unsubstantiated, unqualified,
unquantified, ostensibly hearsay statements like:
"Accident statistics on bicycling are horrific per
mile traveled."

Great way to promote bicycling, eh?

Well horrific is a subjective term but it is true that bicycling has
per-mile injury rates far higher than driving.

Some would suggest per-hour injury rates are more telling than
per-mile rates. I tend to agree.

We shouldn't be too
surprised by that. Most of the injuries to bicyclists (80%) are
caused by falling off, wiping out, things motorists don't have to
worry about. And then, when a car and bike smash together, only the
bicyclist gets hurt. Bicycling may be a little more deadly than
driving but neither is remotely likely to result in fatality.

It's up to us individuals to mitigate potential traffic
dangers around us; to put it in simplistic terms: to
manufacture our own safety. We are well armed to do so,
by the contributions of so many riders (like yourself) who
have been there & done that, learned from their experiences,
and passed along what they've learned to any fellow riders
who might be interested in learning stuff the easier way
instead of the hard way.

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people don't want to learn
anything from anybody. Everybody's a f***in' expert.

A lot of people want things dumbed down for them so they don't
have to think about stuff, and that's what they expect bike
lanes to do for them. Play bumper-cars in real traffic, and
feel oh-so-safe.

And y'know what? I /like/ bike lanes when they're properly
implemented. I have nothing against bike lanes per se at all.

But I /do/ take issue with the notion that bike lanes are some
sort of sanctuary in which riders can ignorantly squirrel
around, without having to understand the social ramifications
of being part of traffic, and relating to/with our mobile,
vehicular neighbours. 'Cuz when you think about it, traffic
is a dynamic, mobile neighbourhood.

I think you'll agree with me when I suggest that being
among traffic (and surviving it) is more a matter of
smartening up than dumbing down.

It's not about bike lanes, it's about attitude.

A while back, Jobst Brandt took me to task because, like
you, I dared suggest bicycles are a superior mode of
transportation. The word "elitist" was evoked. I guess
he misinterpreted my statements as being anti-motorist or
driver-hating. Truth is, I get along with my neighbours
quite well.

Yeah. Traffic is a neighbourhood. And not just
metaphorically -- it really /is/ a neighbourhood.

You can't dumb down a neighbourhood -- too much
soap opera drama goin' on.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 17th 08, 01:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

On Nov 16, 1:08 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

You can't dumb down a neighbourhood -- too much
soap opera drama goin' on.

I like that interpretation.

With that in mind I'm a huge fan of these stylish big double chevron
sharrows that are being installed in several cities. Encourage these
neighbors to really get to know each other.
Old November 17th 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
writes:
On Nov 16, 1:08 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

You can't dumb down a neighbourhood -- too much
soap opera drama goin' on.

I like that interpretation.

With that in mind I'm a huge fan of these stylish big double chevron
sharrows that are being installed in several cities. Encourage these
neighbors to really get to know each other.

Yeah, that sort of works. Except here in Vancouver
there are very many traffic-engineering attempts to
accomodate non-motorized traffic, and sometimes they
conflict with each other. For example, we recently had
sharrows installed along our Main Street. But at the
same time, we have these pedestrian's sidewalk bulges
at intersections. So from a rider's POV you're just
riding along in a straight line in the safe zone, and
suddenly the curb juts out at you, and you're squeezed
between the motorized traffic and the curb.

That's why I cry out for intelligent & thought-out
implementation instead of traffic engineers just
slap-dashing stuff down on the streets, dusting their
hands off, and saying: "There, that oughta keep 'em
happy."

Anyway, Commander CarmenMiranda'sHat says traffic is a
jungle. I say it's a neighbourhood. I shall leave it
to the readership to decide upon their own approaches.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 17th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Nov 15, 7:23*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

[...]

The Internet was created so smart and civilized behavior prevailed in
the jungle. But there still some alpha male apes that relapse to
primitive behavior. Usually cured with a banana.

There is no animal so disgusting, so vile that it deserves comparison to
you, for even the lowest, dirtiest, most parasitic member of the animal
kingdom fills an ecological niche. You fill no niche.
To call you a parasite would be injurious to the thousands of honest
parasitic species. You are worse than vermin, for vermin does not pretend
to be what it is not. You are truly human garbage.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

You know, Big Ed (notice you are not Dr. Evil anymore) the revolution
is...

Well, the revolution is hiring people...

-WILLING TO FORGO PAYMENT

-WILLING TO SAY THE TRUTH

-WILLING TO DIE IN THE LINE OF DUTY (ride a bike)

-WILLING TO REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE REVOLUTION...

The last one was kind of easy, wasn't it?

Taming the Money Making Beast is a job for every lion tamer. The art
is in not letting yourself become lunch.

http://www.simonfieldhouse.com/LionT...JPEG-large.jpg