Chain life on 27/30 speed bikes.

Old March 31st 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

Default Chain life on 27/30 speed bikes.

I have a 24 speed bike but may convert it to 27 or 30 gears, depending on
what parts I can get at the right price. Question is are the chains thinner
for use with 9 or 10 gear cassettes? If so are they as robust?

Old March 31st 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Mar 31, 6:29 am, "Fred" wrote:
I have a 24 speed bike but may convert it to 27 or 30 gears, depending on
what parts I can get at the right price. Question is are the chains thinner
for use with 9 or 10 gear cassettes? If so are they as robust?

Plates are thinner and pins are shorter. More expensive but not
drastically less robust than 8s..MUCH more expensive tho, particularly
10s.

Old April 10th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Bonnell

On Mar 31, 11:16 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
On Mar 31, 6:29 am, "Fred" wrote:

I have a 24 speed bike but may convert it to 27 or 30 gears, depending on
what parts I can get at the right price. Question is are the chains thinner
for use with 9 or 10 gear cassettes? If so are they as robust?

Plates are thinner and pins are shorter. More expensive but not
drastically less robust than 8s..MUCH more expensive tho, particularly
10s.

I snapped the chain on my 10-speed bike last year. Replacement chain
was close to $50. I have never snapped a chain on my 8- or 9- speed
bikes. Even if I did, replacement chains are dirt cheap. YMMV.
Honestly, I don't see a big motivation to switch to 10-speed...you
generally save a few grams and get smoother shifting, but the costs
(parts/maintenance) are significant.

If you're *really* determined to have a 10-speed bike, I would suggest
buying a new (stock) bike rather than upgrading an old one. To
upgrade, you generally need to replace shifters, crankset, derailleur,
and cassette. In replacing the cassette, you may require new hubs
(and perhaps wheels). Your current frame may make upgrading a hassle
(and chances are that you wouldn't realize it until *after* you've
purchased parts). I'm sure I'm missing something here. Not only
that, but I've seen 10-speed bikes going for just over $1k. $1500
gets you a pretty decent ride these days.

Old April 10th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

wrote:
On Mar 31, 6:29 am, "Fred" wrote:

[...]

Why 10 speeds anyway? All my MTBs are 3 front and 7 rear, giving me 21
speeds and I have never broken a chain. Also I have never felt like
there was a gear missing between shifts. Your legs can go from 0 to 120
RPM, which is already a lot more range than a car engine has. They may
make some sense for 'some' of the racer types, but I would hate to be
standing on the pedals climbing (attacking?) a hill when the chain
broke, possibly leading to a near neuter event.
Bill Baka
Old April 10th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Fred wrote:
I have a 24 speed bike but may convert it to 27 or 30 gears, depending on
what parts I can get at the right price. Question is are the chains thinner
for use with 9 or 10 gear cassettes? If so are they as robust?

Yes, they are thinner, or, to be precise, the side plates are thinner.
Are they as robust? My experience (between 8 and 9-speed chains, no
10-speed for me yet) is that there is little difference between the
durability of the two sizes.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
Old April 10th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Plates are thinner and pins are shorter. More expensive but not
drastically less robust than 8s..MUCH more expensive tho, particularly
10s.

To be precise, 10-speed anything is way more expensive. 8-speed Campy
parts are now more expensive than comparable 9-speed (cassettes are not
only more expensive in 8-speed, but hard to find, and when you do you
have essentially zero choice of gears).

Old April 11th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

wrote:

On Mar 31, 6:29 am, "Fred" wrote:

I have a 24 speed bike but may convert it to 27 or 30 gears, depending on
what parts I can get at the right price. Question is are the chains thinner
for use with 9 or 10 gear cassettes? If so are they as robust?

Plates are thinner and pins are shorter. More expensive but not
drastically less robust than 8s..MUCH more expensive tho, particularly
10s.

I snapped the chain on my 10-speed bike last year.

shimano??

Replacement chain
was close to $50. I have never snapped a chain on my 8- or 9- speed
bikes. Even if I did, replacement chains are dirt cheap. YMMV.
Honestly, I don't see a big motivation to switch to 10-speed...you
generally save a few grams and get smoother shifting, but the costs
(parts/maintenance) are significant.

If you're *really* determined to have a 10-speed bike, I would suggest
buying a new (stock) bike rather than upgrading an old one. To
upgrade, you generally need to replace shifters, crankset, derailleur,
and cassette.

My Aunt Harold's mustache. For shimano and Campagnolo all you need is
the shifter, cogset and chain...NO need to change cranks, ders and
such.

In replacing the cassette, you may require new hubs
(and perhaps wheels).

Only if the bike is about 2 decades old is shimano or a decade old if
Campagnolo. PLUS most hubs are convertible to 10s, freehub only.

Old April 11th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Apr 10, 3:19 pm, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Plates are thinner and pins are shorter. More expensive but not
drastically less robust than 8s..MUCH more expensive tho, particularly
10s.

To be precise, 10-speed anything is way more expensive. 8-speed Campy
parts are now more expensive than comparable 9-speed (cassettes are not
only more expensive in 8-speed, but hard to find, and when you do you
have essentially zero choice of gears).

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

Not hard to find for bike shops and yes 12-23 and 13-26...if you are
having a hard time finding Campag 8s cogsets, it's the bike shops that
are being lazy...

Old April 12th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris BeHanna

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:16:09 +0000, Bill wrote:

Why 10 speeds anyway?

It'd be darned nice to switch from my 30/42/52 triple and a 9sp 12-25
rear to a 36/53 double and a 12-27 or 12-28 10sp rear 'round these parts.

--
Chris BeHanna

Old April 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Apr 11, 10:10 pm, Chris BeHanna wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:16:09 +0000, Bill wrote:

Why 10 speeds anyway?

It'd be darned nice to switch from my 30/42/52 triple and a 9sp 12-25
rear to a 36/53 double and a 12-27 or 12-28 10sp rear 'round these parts.

--
Chris BeHanna

Right 10s shifter, compact crank, new 53t ring, triple FD, 12-27 10s
cogset and chain and bob's yer uncle.

Chain life vs cassette life Euan Techniques 32 August 24th 05 12:34 AM
chain life 1oki General 4 May 11th 05 09:02 PM
Re extending life of chain etc geepeetee General 24 August 29th 04 06:38 AM
Chain life Just zis Guy, you know? UK 8 April 19th 04 03:33 PM
Flip chain: double life Wayne Pein Techniques 92 March 17th 04 03:15 AM