Max heart rates and age

Old June 9th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Choppy Warburton

Default Max heart rates and age

I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? Thanks
Old June 9th 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

On 6/9/2011 11:56 AM, Choppy Warburton wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? Thanks

These are just general guidelines. By those same standards my Max
heartrate is around 160. I can still get to 188 when sufficiently motivated.

So take with an appropriate grain of salt.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com
Old June 9th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

Your numbers sound reasonable. I'm 53, 220-age gives me 167 bpm, I saw
172 on the treadmill when getting a stress echo and I wasn't anywhere
near gassed. Most guys I know who are older who race or raced and
still ride have higher max HR's than 220-age would indicate.
Old June 9th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil H

On Jun 9, 9:56*am, Choppy Warburton wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. * *Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. *I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? *Thanks

220 minus your age with an estimated standard deviation of ~10 bpm
means its not a very useful statistic.
95% of 20 year olds would have a max HR between 180 and 220. 30 year
old between 170 and 210 etc.
Not a reliable method of measuring exertion as it can vary so much
depending on temperature, hydration, training state etc.
In my lifetime, I've never seen anything above the 160s. Generally
athletes have lower max HR than sedentary people but can pump more
blood per beat.
I'm not sure that having a higher max HR means anything significant.
Phil H
Old June 9th 11, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Choppy Warburton wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? Thanks

Consider increasing your stimulant dosage.
Old June 9th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ben Trovato

On Jun 9, 11:21*am, Brad Anders wrote:
Your numbers sound reasonable. I'm 53, 220-age gives me 167 bpm, I saw
172 on the treadmill when getting a stress echo and I wasn't anywhere
near gassed. Most guys I know who are older who race or raced and
still ride have higher max HR's than 220-age would indicate.

I'll be your age in a couple of months, and I still occasionally see
190 on a good day and a hard climb. But I'd gladly trade 10bpm for
8kph.
Old June 9th 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
FAT

At 36 I had physiology test and had a VO2 Max of 68, but a max heart rate of
160. BTW...it was done at UMass Medical for a program to calibrate
Lifecycle levels to actual human specimens.

Old June 10th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Jun 9, 11:56*am, Choppy Warburton
wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. * *Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. *I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? *Thanks

Don't know squat but if you could have passed your enemy while maxing
out at, say, 116 bpm, it would be better than having to go to 185 bpm
to do it.
Of course, you need the actual heart of a youngster to do that kind of
thing, plus the training.

I think they came up with those numbers back in the days of some
fitness craze of yore as a way of holding the body count and wrongful
death lawsuits to a reasonable miniumum.
--D-y
Old June 10th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steven Bornfeld

On 6/9/2011 12:56 PM, Choppy Warburton wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? Thanks

Two years ago my brother was told he had the coronary arteries of a 25
year-old. Unfortunately, he had the mitral valve of an 80 year old, so
he needed surgery.
Too many moving parts.

Steve
Old June 11th 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

That statistic has too high variance to be meaningful in any single
case. The best method is to do your own max heart rate test, a 5
minute maximal effort (noting that max heart rate may appear after the
effort), and work from there.

However, this misleading statistic is remarkably persistent. I had a
stress test where the doctor (he told me he was one after I started
telling him he was ignorant) stopped because I reached 220-age, and
wrote in his report that I was at the "acme of effort." Nothing could
persuade him that my max was actually at least 18 beats higher,
including (a) I had seen that 2 weeks before on my heart rate monitor,
(b) that what he stated was my maximum was actually my aerobic
threshold heart rate and I could maintain that rate for at least 30
minutes, and the best argument (c) I was having a normal conversation
with him at my supposed maximal heart rate.

My big mistake there was paying him for the consultation. Afterwards,
I had a laugh about it with the doctor who referred me and who worked
in the same medical sports center, Dr. Gerard Porte.

By the way, real sports medicine doctors report that max heart rates
in the 180's for racing cyclists in their 60's is not at all unusual.

In the other direction, there was a 30 year old female grad student
racing at Stanford whose maximal heart rate was about 170, and she had
previously been a speedskater. Add to that the fact that women
generally have higher max heart rates.

Max heart rate is different for different sports. Running should give
you a higher max than cycling. Personally, I saw a slightly higher
value roller skating.

Max heart rate can decrease with increased fitness. The highest I ever
saw was 204 when I started riding again seriously and used a heart
rate monitor for the first time. After a year of training and much
improved fitness, I never went above 195 ever again. Since then, it's
decreased to about 187 in 15 years, but gets that high only when I am
less fit.

I talked to a guy in August 2002 who was good friends with Azevedo,
and he told me that Beloki's heart rate was 230 when he attacked
Armstrong (which happened only once in that Tour de France).

Finally, one thing which I never quite figured out. As your max heart
rate goes down, is the top end cut off, or does the whole system shift
with the shifted max?

-ilan

Tdf 'live' Heart rates cupra UK 2 July 18th 07 12:55 AM
Understanding heart rates Solvang Cyclist Techniques 34 April 2nd 07 09:05 PM
decrease of heart rates le-sheq Techniques 4 March 1st 06 12:33 AM
Heart rates. Simon Mason UK 0 January 21st 06 08:45 PM
Metabolism of Fat at Elevated Heart Rates Your name Techniques 11 September 16th 04 07:11 PM