Max heart rates and age

Old June 10th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

Default Max heart rates and age

On Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:56:23 AM UTC-7, Choppy Warburton wrote:
I've always used the old 220 - age formula to calculate MHR. Based
on my age it would be 170 and I've been training by that standard for
some time now.

Last night I got ****ed at this guy trying to ride faster than me and
broke my training pace for several 3 minute intervals. I thought I
saw 179 on the HRM but actually had valid periods of 185-186 during
these efforts.

Being faster is normally the best revenge but finding out my MHR is 16
years younger than I am felt even better.

This page says I have the heart of a 30 yr old.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

So I am feeling really good about that.

Anyone else have some input on this subject? Thanks

Is there a page on the internet that tells you
what age you have the brain of? Because we
could use something like that.

That old MHR regression formula is not particularly
useful for individuals. It has a fairly high RMS
and if I remember correctly was originally derived
from some non-random sample (I think there's an anecdote
about the original line being drawn by eye through
some points).

Ah, wikipedia even covers it, "formula" section of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Maximum

Basically, heart rate is a red herring. If you
want training advice you're going to have
to post your SRM logs.

Fredmaster Ben
Old June 10th 11, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
Basically, heart rate is a red herring. If you
want training advice you're going to have
to post your SRM logs.

You must be trolling that guy who lives in the Oort cloud.

Max heart rates and age Choppy Warburton Racing 30 June 13th 11 09:12 PM
Tdf 'live' Heart rates cupra UK 2 July 18th 07 12:55 AM
Understanding heart rates Solvang Cyclist Techniques 34 April 2nd 07 09:05 PM
decrease of heart rates le-sheq Techniques 4 March 1st 06 12:33 AM
Heart rates. Simon Mason UK 0 January 21st 06 08:45 PM