Effects of too much cycling

Old July 22nd 17, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon B. Slocomb

Default Effects of too much cycling

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:25:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 16:03:28 +0700, Jon B. Slocomb
wrote:

Re the various "statins", like many other modern medicines (and some
very old ones) they may be a hazard to health so the question is which
may be the greatest hazard the fat in the pipes or the medicine.

That was my problem. I've been to 3 cardiologists, have had a triple
bypass operation, and had 2 stents installed last year. I tend to
collect plaque in the arteries and most of my ancestors have died from
either a heart attack or stroke. (Choose your parents wisely).
Chances are high that I will drop dead writing this message.

The cardiologists all agree that I need to do everything possible to
reduce cholesterol causing plaque buildup or my plumbing will clog the
point of no return. So, I was chugging statins for about 9 years, and
suffering with the associated back muscle aches. Every time I saw
blood in the urine (without any kidney pains), I cut back on the
statins until it went away. The problem was that the pains and muscle
damage were cumulative and after 9 years, I couldn't take it any more.
I stopped taking statins and decided is was better to take my chances
with the plaque in the plumbing. It didn't work because 4 years
later, I had to have 2 stents installed. I did some experiments with
minimum statin dosage and settled on 20mg atorvastatin twice a week.
Amazingly, the reduction in cholesterol with this minimal does was the
same as when I was taking much larger doses. No back pain, yet. So,
if you're stuck choosing between taking dangerous statins and risking
a heart attack, run a blood test with minimal dosage.

You might want to look at Livalo which my cardiologist suggested I try
as it is given in smaller dose - I take 1 mg daily. It is still a
statin but, again according to my cardiologist, a rather benign one.

Incidentally, see:
http://www.directlabs.com
for cheap blood tests.

I see
my cardiologist quarterly and that includes a blood test to be sure
that none of the three medicines, two - hypertension, one for
cholesterol, I take are causing problems.

Same here except every 6 months. I usually test for much more to see
if there are any new surprises. This covers most of the heart related
tests:
https://www.directlabs.com/Resources/Cardiovascular/CardioPlusPanel/tabid/191/language/en-US/Default.aspx
Last results were all within limits, except I had low protein in the
blood with was easily fixed by tweaking my diet.

As an aside, aspirin, after an estimated 2500 years of use is now
considered almost poisonous :-)

I take low dose 81mg aspirin and 75mg plavix (blood thinner). Nothing
like waking up in the morning and looking like I had been in a fist
fight. It works well for intimidating irate customers and haggling
with merchants over prices. The only problem so far is that both my
knees are large purple bruises thanks to abrasion with my pant legs.
Also, I had to switch to an electric shaver to keep from looking like
a knife assault victim in the morning. I've been playing with a blood
clotting accelerator spray, which seems to help.

Just about anything in sufficient dosage and over extended periods is
dangerous. You can get sick from drinking too much water.

You can die from too much water :-)
--
Cheers,

John b

Old July 22nd 17, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon B. Slocomb

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:12:46 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 12:26:00 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Snipped
Just about anything in sufficient dosage and over extended periods is
dangerous. You can get sick from drinking too much water.

You can get DEAD from drinking too much water. See hyponatremia.
Cheers

Yep. I know a couple that did that to themselves. Someone convinced
them that everyone was perpetually dehydrated and that they should
drink some outrageous amount of water per day. So, they carried
around water bottles wherever they went and drank from them almost
continuously. I don't recall exactly how long it took for both of
them to land in the hospital but I think it was about 6 months.

"Hyponatremia: Epidemiology"
https://www.aace.com/sites/all/files/blevins_hyponatremia_ss2013AM.pdf
Looks like it's fairly common:
15% of hospitalized patients
1% incidence and 2.5% prevalence
67% of cases were hospital acquired.
18-22% incidence in chronic care facilities
It gets worse:
104 patients with Na+ 125 mEq/L in a 6 month period
42% of diagnoses incorrect
33% of patients with significant management errors
Overall mortality 27%
41% in those with errors in management
20% in those managed appropriately

Oh, swell. Go to the hospital and get even more sick or die.

Yes, water is dangerous.
http://www.dhmo.org

It is hot over here, but practically every tourist I see is carrying a
bottle of water although I seldom see anyone drink any. I can only
assume that one or more of the tourist books/magazines have told them
to. I find it a bit humorous as, say 10 or 15 years ago you never saw
this. Perhaps it is global warming?

--
Cheers,

John b

Old July 23rd 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:58:44 +0700, Jon B. Slocomb
wrote:

It is hot over here, but practically every tourist I see is carrying a
bottle of water although I seldom see anyone drink any.

Not here (Santa Cruz CA). I haven't checked the beach or the
amusement parks, but in the hills, no water bottles in sight. However,
several of the local stores have a large display of water bottles,
which don't seem to be moving.

I attended a meeting today (yawn) at the local fire department. When
I visited the rest room, I found this on the wall:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/hydration.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=urine+color+test&tbm=isch
My guess(tm) is that the fire departments started reminding their
employees and fireman to stay hydrated when doing hot and sweaty work.
That somehow migrated to the witch doctors, supplement swindlers,
quacks, wellness advisors, and other marginal members of the medical
establishment, who advised their patients to do the same. Since a
little water is good for you, a radical overdose must be better.

I can only
assume that one or more of the tourist books/magazines have told them
to.

Should be something on the internet. Yep:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Americans+do+not+drink+enough+water
Also books on the topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hydration+books
Seems rather odd that evolution or your favored divine creationist,
didn't set our thirst threshold at the correct level.

I find it a bit humorous as, say 10 or 15 years ago you never saw
this. Perhaps it is global warming?

I think this is why hydration packs were invented:
https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/07/WATSON_00004198-042.jpg
I think that's what we were doing before hydration packs and growlers.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 23rd 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:38:46 +0700, Jon B. Slocomb
wrote:

You might want to look at Livalo which my cardiologist suggested I try
as it is given in smaller dose - I take 1 mg daily. It is still a
statin but, again according to my cardiologist, a rather benign one.

Been there and tried that:
https://www.livalorx.com
The most common side effects of LIVALO in clinical studies we
- Back pain
- Constipation
- Diarrhea
- Muscle pain
- Pain in the legs or arms
I managed to experience all of the various "pains" in the list after
about a week. No thanks.

You can die from too much water :-)

Nope. I know where I will meet my well deserved premature demise. It
will be in the local supermarket parking lot, run over by some person
who believes that the rules of the road and common sense are all
suspended in the parking lot. I've come closer to meeting my end in
such parking lots than in any other dangerous situation. Death by
internal flooding is the least of my worries.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 23rd 17, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

The Phuket Iron Man bike section is held on public roads which are
temporarily blocked from other traffic during the period that the
bicycles will actually be traveling over that section of the route,
and it happens that my normal Sunday ride is over about a third of the
Iron Man route. When I approach one of the sections, on my bicycle,
the police just wave me on and so I have ridden sections of the route
with the participants (although much slower) and noticeable they are
not carrying large amounts of liquids. I see, maybe, a handle bar
mounted bottle with a drinking tube and occasionally a tube mounted
(seat or down) bottle.

Also, during my running days I ran in the Singapore marathon and the
Bangkok marathon and noticeably the front runners neither carry water
nor do they seem to stop at drink stations. Which is not to say that
they do not drink but it certainly wasn't noticeable.But also their
marathon is probably much shorter then mine as it only takes them a
couple of hours to get around while it takes me much longer :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 23rd 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

You might want to look at Livalo which my cardiologist suggested I try
as it is given in smaller dose - I take 1 mg daily. It is still a
statin but, again according to my cardiologist, a rather benign one.

Been there and tried that:
https://www.livalorx.com
The most common side effects of LIVALO in clinical studies we
- Back pain
- Constipation
- Diarrhea
- Muscle pain
- Pain in the legs or arms
I managed to experience all of the various "pains" in the list after
about a week. No thanks.

Goodness. I was taking something (forgot the name) that made my legs
swell up and I wasn't all that happy with the cardiologist so went to
a different hospital and told the cardiologist there why I had decided
to change doctors and she put me on Livalo - 1 mg daily - and
NATRILIX, which is a diuretic and my cholesterol is staying well
within bounds and the HDL/LDL ratio is well within the recommended
range.

Out of curiosity did you ever try a purely vegetarian diet? My wife,
for religious reasons, is a vegetarian during certain periods of the
year and her cholesterol does drop a bit during those periods.

Old July 23rd 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/22/2017 10:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I know where I will meet my well deserved premature demise. It
will be in the local supermarket parking lot, run over by some person
who believes that the rules of the road and common sense are all
suspended in the parking lot. I've come closer to meeting my end in
such parking lots than in any other dangerous situation.

Bringing the discussion back to [gasp!] cycling:

I've written quite a few articles on bicycling safety. One of them was
titled, IIRC, "Advice for the Timid." It had tips for people who choose
to use parking lots, sidewalks, etc. because they're afraid to ride on
the roads.

And yes, one major point is that there are effectively no rules in
parking lots. They are much more chaotic than roads.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 23rd 17, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 00:54:06 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/22/2017 10:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I know where I will meet my well deserved premature demise. It
will be in the local supermarket parking lot, run over by some person
who believes that the rules of the road and common sense are all
suspended in the parking lot. I've come closer to meeting my end in
such parking lots than in any other dangerous situation.

Bringing the discussion back to [gasp!] cycling:

I've written quite a few articles on bicycling safety. One of them was
titled, IIRC, "Advice for the Timid." It had tips for people who choose
to use parking lots, sidewalks, etc. because they're afraid to ride on
the roads.

And yes, one major point is that there are effectively no rules in
parking lots. They are much more chaotic than roads.

Out of curiosity who administrates parking lots. I remember years ago
a young fellow that worked for me got his fender dented in a drive in
theater (a long time ago :-) he got the guy's number and went to the
Cop Shop who told him as it was private property they had nothing to
do with it.

I've always wondered who was responsible in one of these giant
parking lots with several hundred cars in it?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 23rd 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 9:54:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/22/2017 10:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I know where I will meet my well deserved premature demise. It
will be in the local supermarket parking lot, run over by some person
who believes that the rules of the road and common sense are all
suspended in the parking lot. I've come closer to meeting my end in
such parking lots than in any other dangerous situation.

Bringing the discussion back to [gasp!] cycling:

I've written quite a few articles on bicycling safety. One of them was
titled, IIRC, "Advice for the Timid." It had tips for people who choose
to use parking lots, sidewalks, etc. because they're afraid to ride on
the roads.

And yes, one major point is that there are effectively no rules in
parking lots. They are much more chaotic than roads.

A niece really had trouble riding and it turned out it was because she had an old cruiser which was so difficult to ride that she could barely riding a couple of miles. When she tried her sisters racer she was astonished at how easy it rode.
Old July 23rd 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Property owner or lessee if there's a question of structural
or management errors but just the other auto owner if it was
simple driver error. Your friend might pursue that civilly
but since it's not a public way the police are not
interested on an administrative level. If a (non-traffic)
crime occurred such as deliberate harm that's a different
story; whatever agency has jurisdiction could investigate.

My amateur two cents anyway, I'm sure Jay could tighten that
up a bit.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/