Bike adjustments

Old December 13th 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bike adjustments

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 15:22:05 +1100, James
wrote:

On 12/12/19 4:04 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

How many bikes have you not yet converted to discs?

I thought I had mentioned that I am happy not to have disc brakes on my
road bike. In fact on neither road bike. I don't ride them in wet
weather at all often, and I don't carry loads with them. Rims last
years and all weather braking performance is a non-issue.

My gravel/touring bike and MTB are both disc brake bikes though, and
IMHO it is a good choice for those bikes.

My wife has a city/commuter bike with flat bars and disc brakes. They're
hydraulic levers and calipers. Having had to play with them, I don't
really like them. I prefer cable disc brakes.

Goodness James, buy the woman a Ute, humping all those groceries on a
bicycle is cruel :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 13:56:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BLOG1XVI/PATIEN6h.JPG

Errr... That isn't a photo of anything that my wife sewed.... In the
early years of our marriage she apprenticed herself to a "Ladies
Tailor" (to translate freely) and has been making her own clothes for
40 years or more.

It's a picture of something that I sewed very badly.

Hence, he'd be better off recruiting her than me.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old December 13th 19, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 8:07:35 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 12/12/19 3:02 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick release and
take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my canti equipped
bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them, like I'm
not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

Its a 20 second fix, assuming one squeeze is enough to prevent re-installation of the wheel. I prefer hydraulic to cable discs for braking feel and the fact that the pads are self-adjusting, but cables are fine, too - except on my CAADX commuter because of the long cable run in housing caused a lot of drag, and the return springs on the BB5 were weak. I definitely prefer hydro discs on that bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 13th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:22:11 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 12/12/19 4:04 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

How many bikes have you not yet converted to discs?

I thought I had mentioned that I am happy not to have disc brakes on my
road bike. In fact on neither road bike. I don't ride them in wet
weather at all often, and I don't carry loads with them. Rims last
years and all weather braking performance is a non-issue.

OK, so you used the same thought processes I did. It sounds like neither of us
simply dismissed disc brakes "utterly."

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 13th 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BLOG1XVI/PATIEN6h.JPG

Errr... That isn't a photo of anything that my wife sewed.... In the
early years of our marriage she apprenticed herself to a "Ladies
Tailor" (to translate freely) and has been making her own clothes for
40 years or more.

It's a picture of something that I sewed very badly.

Hence, he'd be better off recruiting her than me.

Ah... sorry about that :-)

Apparently you need a bit of practice :-(

When we lived on the boat I used to convince my wife that I needed
help making a new canopy for the boat so she'd sit on the dock - with
my sail making sewing machine - and sew 40 foot seams :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick release and
take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my canti equipped
bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them, like I'm
not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

Its a 20 second fix, assuming one squeeze is enough to prevent re-installation of the wheel. I prefer hydraulic to cable discs for braking feel and the fact that the pads are self-adjusting, but cables are fine, too - except on my CAADX commuter because of the long cable run in housing caused a lot of drag, and the return springs on the BB5 were weak. I definitely prefer hydro discs on that bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Years ago I read that squeezing the brake lever of a disc brake immediately after a wheel was removed could often result in the hot pads fusing to something. I don't recall whether it was the pads fusing to the rotor or to each other. I'm pretty sure it was the pads fusing to each other that was the concern. I do know it turned me away from considering disc brakes a that time.

Cheers
Old December 13th 19, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick release and
take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my canti equipped
bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them, like I'm
not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

Its a 20 second fix, assuming one squeeze is enough to prevent re-installation of the wheel. I prefer hydraulic to cable discs for braking feel and the fact that the pads are self-adjusting, but cables are fine, too - except on my CAADX commuter because of the long cable run in housing caused a lot of drag, and the return springs on the BB5 were weak. I definitely prefer hydro discs on that bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

I bought a cross bike after disks brakes became available for them (never wanted a crossbike with canti lever brakes; they are really crap for that kind of riding). First cable disks. Never liked them on my cross bike. I had more issues with them than I have with my current hydraulic disks. Never had any issues with these hydraulic brakes in almost six years now. My 'biggest problem' is breaking in the pads which is the same for cable discs. I don't understand why people prefer cable discs on off road bikes for off road riding with a lot of mud. Glad I'm not hydrau phobic.

Like you said you have to squeeze really hard to get into trouble reinstalling you wheel and then it is an 20 seconds fix with your tire lever. It is not something that happens just by accident on a regular basis.

Lou
Old December 13th 19, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

James wrote:

[...]

Isn’t there a spacer or clip or something to keep the pads in place when
taking off the wheel? I haven’t tried disc brakes but friends that put
their bikes on my roof rack seem to have something like that. Doesn’t seem
like a big issue.

Old December 13th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James wrote:

[...]

Plenty. I have got these with my brakes:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...-M7100-p39047/

You can use any kind of DIY wedge. If you take these apart:

https://www.coole.eu/houten-vormen/c...per-15-cm.html

you have two.

Lou
Old December 13th 19, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

James wrote:

[...]

It isn't a big issue. The usual problem with disc bikes and roof racks are through axles. Your friend apparently had an adapter or a non-through axle bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

USE Alien adjustments Chris M Techniques 7 February 19th 06 02:43 PM
Some adjustments to bars Ken M General 14 January 1st 06 05:40 PM
derailer adjustments Bob Rutledge Techniques 2 December 10th 05 08:42 PM
Derailleur adjustments D.M. Procida UK 2 August 8th 04 12:03 PM
derailleur adjustments on new bike? Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 22 June 28th 04 05:32 PM