First ride of the year

Old January 1st 05, 07:40 AM
vernon levy

Default First ride of the year

I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Old January 1st 05, 08:31 AM
Stan Cox

vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Club New Years day 10 mile TT this morning. Happy new year all.

Stan Cox
Old January 1st 05, 09:34 AM
MSeries

vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Happy New Year everyone.

I fell off twice last time I was on the Tan Hill Inn to Muker road due
to the snow and ice.
Old January 1st 05, 01:57 PM
Brian G

vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Lucky you. The weather here in Perthshire is so horrifically
horrendous today that the planned Ne'erday ride into Glen Artney never
got started. So it's another day of Pictionary and Trivial Pursuit with
the family :-(

Still, all the best to everyone for 2005.

--
Brian G
Old January 1st 05, 02:10 PM
Zog The Undeniable

vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

I did 29:10 in Corinium CC's New Year "10". That's 2:30 off my August
PB, but most people were 3:00 or more adrift. No cramp, which augurs
well for this season - I had it in every race from April to July last year.
Old January 1st 05, 02:54 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , vernon levy
') wrote:

I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker
and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the
year.

Just back from mine, 24 miles (on road). Remarkably warm for the time of
year and a very pleasant ride despite a rising wind - apart from the
last mile where it tipped it down with rain and some hail. Horrid.

Prior to that, however, largely empty roads, lots of wild geese, four
red kites, various buzzards, a woodcock (I _think_), and all the usual
stuff. Very nice.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.
Old January 1st 05, 10:15 PM
vernon levy

"MSeries" wrote in message
vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker

and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the

year.

Turned out to be 28 mile-ish.

I fell off twice last time I was on the Tan Hill Inn to Muker road due
to the snow and ice.

I was nearly blown off several times and thought it wise to rejoin the Tan
Hill - Muker road after only three miles of off road riding.

The weather deteriorated from windy to gale force surges with driving rain.
My Aldi winter wear stood up well to the challenge and I stayed warm even
though I was wering shorts. There were some lovely aromas of wood and coal
burning fires as I road throught the villages and hamlets. The road was
awash in many places and despite the unpleasant weather I loved the ride -
it's been the most challengin loop to date :-)

Old January 2nd 05, 02:54 PM
MSeries

vernon levy wrote:
I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Just got back from mmy first ride. Hell of the North. A wind assist roll
out of the city through some very crappy industrial areas in the rain.
Got a puncture, second this week, different wheel though. WInd assisted
blast up to Ulleskelf then a very hard grind into the wind to the A162
then up to Tadcaster. Cafe shut, knew it would be, bike shop shut,
thought we might scrounge a coffee from them, they did offer us one
once. My mates wife was playing up on the phone so we headed directly
back to Leeds into the teeth of the gale instead of going up to the cafe
at Thorpe Arch. Jackets on and off all morning. 54.26 miles.
Old January 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
James Hodson

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:40:56 -0000, "vernon levy" wrote:

I'm off to Reeth to do a 25-ish mile loop via the Tan Hill pub, Muker and
Gunnerside with some off road riding. Should be a nice start to the year.

Absolutely OT: Last ride of the old year.

Having become fed up with new year's eve parties in 1999/2000 when
some drunken teenager tried to kill me - I looked at him in the wrong
manner, apparently - I have celebrated the clock going from 23:59:59
to 00:00:00 either at home or at OP's houses for the last few years.

I was stocked up with Tesco's finest cheap red and Messrs Benson and
Hedges produce and was ready to go. No! There was one item missing:
coffee, which would, no doubt, indicated the following morning.

So, at about 22:00 I redonned my cycling gear and set off to my local
7/11 shop - the one that closed at 22:00 :-) On the way I noticed
that my front light was becomming a bit dim so decided to carry on to
a 24 hour petrol station (now know as the petrol station with the
truthful opening hours sign) to by a new set of bunny powerers.

I was quite enjoying being out on cool evening so I decided to carry
on pedalling.

In the end I must have cycled some 15 miles, albeit at a slow average
speed as I slowed to wish many a happy old year etc.

I arrived back home with some minutes to go. The clock moved from
23:59:59 to 00:00:00 in the usual fashion and that was that.

Oh, and I never did get the coffee.

Happy year all
James

TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM
Lar's 24 hr ride part 2 Cokerhead Unicycling 4 July 18th 03 01:34 AM