You know it's blowing when ...

Old February 20th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default You know it's blowing when ...

.... when you're pedalling hard in low gear on the downhill!

Had to cross quite a lot of open moorland today (including -
naturally - four river valleys, three of them taking me
rapidly from 200m+ down to not much above sea level and
back again). The valleys were very pleasant, with a
strongish but manageable wind. Up on top I was blowing
around like a leaf! Took a scenic route home, but refrained
from going up the track to Princetown (at over 400m) - which
would have been a normal version of that route.
Beautiful bright sunshine and comfortable temperatures
made it a real pleasure, despite the 'interesting' control ...

Who else has had a 'fun' ride today? There were quite a few
cyclists around.

--
not me guv
Old February 21st 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Nick Kew wrote:

... when you're pedalling hard in low gear on the downhill!

Had to cross quite a lot of open moorland today (including -
naturally - four river valleys, three of them taking me
rapidly from 200m+ down to not much above sea level and
back again). The valleys were very pleasant, with a
strongish but manageable wind. Up on top I was blowing
around like a leaf! Took a scenic route home, but refrained
from going up the track to Princetown (at over 400m) - which
would have been a normal version of that route.

Pork Hill (Princetown to Tavistock) is the best road descent. Ever.
Someone from St Budeaux CC claimed to have hit 72mph down there; I got
up to 56mph but then caught up with a car!!!
Old February 22nd 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Nick Kew wrote:

... when you're pedalling hard in low gear on the downhill!

Had to cross quite a lot of open moorland today (including -
naturally - four river valleys, three of them taking me
rapidly from 200m+ down to not much above sea level and
back again). The valleys were very pleasant, with a
strongish but manageable wind. Up on top I was blowing
around like a leaf! Took a scenic route home, but refrained
from going up the track to Princetown (at over 400m) - which
would have been a normal version of that route.

Pork Hill (Princetown to Tavistock) is the best road descent. Ever.
Someone from St Budeaux CC claimed to have hit 72mph down there; I got
up to 56mph but then caught up with a car!!!

It's one I regularly do (usually up the hill offroad, down on it).
But it's not too bad on the uphill, either: the road itself or
various other routes don't feel like the not-far-off-400m ascent
shown on the OS map. Except when it's as windy as Monday.

OTOH, the river valleys around here are always hard work.

(BTW, first time I came down that hill this year, I had a strong
tailwind. Go figu-)

--
not me guv