Repair tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant?

Old November 4th 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Repair tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant?

Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers
Old November 4th 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 4 nov, 23:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers

Still messing with tubulars? Geez operating on a tubular on the
road...

Lou, thanks the Lord for the exellent clinchers today

Sorry not very helpfull.
Old November 4th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 4, 10:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.

A system developed for tubeless tubulars. It's not so suited to tubed
tyres as the tube may collapse as the point is inserted so particular
care is required in pinching the tube yet still managing to hit the
spot without causing further damage.
As the repair is virtually instant it is a good technique to apply for
a high-milage rider, but mark the tyre well in case it does not take
and you have to carry out a traditional repair.

I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.

Locating the puncture of a tubed tubular is generally the time
consuming part. Usually there is a puddle of water (or as a last
resort, your water bottle) which may assist if you have a bar of
soap.

Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

it would depend on the particular cement you had in mind and the
temperature you wished to apply it.

I've no personal experience with these, but can be either very quick,
or slow, depending on the time spent for locating the puncture. The
original was by Wolber IIRC and there may be one for Tufo, which are
today's tubeless tubular.
Old November 4th 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Nov 4, 6:44*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 4 nov, 23:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers

Still messing with tubulars? Geez operating on a tubular on the
road...

Lou, thanks the Lord for the exellent clinchers today

Sorry not very helpfull.

I too am thinking about changing all my tubular rims to clinchers due
to the greater ease of repair and reliability of a newely installed
clincher compared to a tubular after a roadside tire switch or repair.
I really do like the ride of my tubulars but the repair of them is
such a hassle that I'm going to see what kind of clincher rim I can
get that will allow me to just tape the rims togeth and relace the
spokes to the clincher rim.

Thanks and cheers
Old November 4th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Lou Holtman wrote:
On 4 nov, 23:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers

Still messing with tubulars? Geez operating on a tubular on the
road...

Lou, thanks the Lord for the exellent clinchers today

Sorry not very helpfull.

You're in the realm of taste.

300g with tube, rim's lighter as well. Under $20; about 1/3
the cost of a Michelin Pro 3. Three or four flats a year in
daily use. It isn't clear one is 'better'.

Nothing wrong with another guy's choice. Heck, a pair of
Chalo's wheels probably weighs as much as my fixie bike.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 4th 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Nov 4, 7:14*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Andrew, I *WISH* tubular tires were only $20.00 each here. Unlike the
two and a spare for $50.00 deal that you offer, a tubular with non-
removable valve core is close to $50.00 each here.

Cheers
Old November 5th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
CARL FOGEL

On Nov 4, 4:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers

Dear SR,

No-syringe technique for filling supposedly unremovable presta valve-
core tubes with sealant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiDrZ7dOHY

https://secure.techxpress.net/slime....PRESTA_doc.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 5th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 4, 4:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

A fairly big one. While a small compulsory "puncture" would be
preferable, a small needle may easily become blocked by the sealant,
especially any of the sealants with suspended fibrous material. But I
expect that's why you asked.
In going through a similar exercise I picked up the fattest (and
shortest) veterinary needle I could find at the local ranch supply co-
op. It's a nasty thing about 2.1mm OD. That appears to be 14 gauge,
about 1.6 MM ID . With that size I encountered no difficulty at all
injecting "True Goo" which uses mica flakes as the "coagulant."
I was just experimenting with tubes (applying a patch over the
injection hole), not a full tube and tire.
Let us know what you learn and and if it works.

DR

Old November 5th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 4, 4:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

One data point from an experiment I tried, a short 14 ga - 2.1mm OD
needle (fattest I could find at a ranch supply co-op) was clog-free
for injecting "True Goo" (as a preventive). But that was also into
tubes where I patched the injection hole so the sealant did not have
to seal that hole.
Let us know what you learn.
DR
Old November 5th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 4, 6:09*pm, CARL FOGEL wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm sure I saw a post here a while back showing a link to You Tube
video of a guy repairing a tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant.
I have a tubular tire with a non removable valvecore that I'd like to
try that on as a test of a possible on road tubular tire quick fix.
Does anyone *here know where that You Tube video can be found? If not
do any of you know what size needle the syringe would need?

Thanks and cheers

Dear SR,

No-syringe technique for filling supposedly unremovable presta valve-
core tubes with sealant:

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiDrZ7dOHY

*https://secure.techxpress.net/slime....pages/File/SLi....

Not nearly as likely to work well on a tubular where the stiffer tire
casing would hinder being able to "grasp" the freed valve stem inside
the tube.
DR