Serotta Legend Ti w/DuraAce triple?

Old August 14th 04, 03:12 AM
Dave Beal

Default Serotta Legend Ti w/DuraAce triple?

I'm considering ordering a Serotta Legend Ti (maybe the ST), and I'd
like to put a 9 speed DuraAce triple on it. The dealer didn't bat an
eye when I talked to him about this, but then I searched this
newsgroup and found Peter Chisholm's post saying that this won't work
because the Legend seat tube is so fat that the front der cage won't
move far enough inward to get the chain onto the small ring.

I have great respect for Peter's expertise, but I'm curious why I
can't find any other references to this problem on the Internet. Has
anyone successfully put a DuraAce triple on a Legend? Thanks.

- Dave Beal
Longmont, CO

Old August 14th 04, 03:30 AM
Dave Thompson

"Dave Beal" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering ordering a Serotta Legend Ti (maybe the ST), and I'd
like to put a 9 speed DuraAce triple on it. The dealer didn't bat an
eye when I talked to him about this, but then I searched this
newsgroup and found Peter Chisholm's post saying that this won't work
because the Legend seat tube is so fat that the front der cage won't
move far enough inward to get the chain onto the small ring.

I have great respect for Peter's expertise, but I'm curious why I
can't find any other references to this problem on the Internet. Has
anyone successfully put a DuraAce triple on a Legend? Thanks.

- Dave Beal
Longmont, CO

I had a Legend ST, and now an Ottrott, both with Dura Ace triple components.
In both cases it works just fine. I've never heard of what Mr. Chisholm
referred to. Perhaps it was a custom with very oversized tubes.

A better, more knowledgeable place to ask your question would be to Serotta
directly. And for further verification, post your question on the Serotta
forum. A lot of Legend Ti's live there.
http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Old August 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Dave Stallard

Dave Thompson wrote:

I had a Legend ST, and now an Ottrott, both with Dura Ace triple components.
In both cases it works just fine. I've never heard of what Mr. Chisholm
referred to. Perhaps it was a custom with very oversized tubes.

I have Dura Ace triple, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Very poor
shifting between middle and inner chainrings. It especially gets hung
up shifting down from middle to inner. Also, there aren't enough trim
clicks with the triple, so you get a lot of chain rub.

Dave
Old August 14th 04, 04:08 AM
Dave Thompson

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
Dave Thompson wrote:

I had a Legend ST, and now an Ottrott, both with Dura Ace triple

components.
In both cases it works just fine. I've never heard of what Mr. Chisholm
referred to. Perhaps it was a custom with very oversized tubes.

I have Dura Ace triple, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Very poor
shifting between middle and inner chainrings. It especially gets hung
up shifting down from middle to inner. Also, there aren't enough trim
clicks with the triple, so you get a lot of chain rub.

Dave

That's not been my experience with either of my Serottas or mty Kirk, all DA
triple equipped.

Old August 14th 04, 04:27 AM
Dave Stallard

Dave Thompson wrote:

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message

[snip]
I have Dura Ace triple, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Very poor
shifting between middle and inner chainrings. It especially gets hung
up shifting down from middle to inner. Also, there aren't enough trim
clicks with the triple, so you get a lot of chain rub.

Dave

That's not been my experience with either of my Serottas or mty Kirk, all DA
triple equipped.

It is on my Odonata.

Is it a maintainance or adjustment issue, perhaps? My chain is
reasonably clean and well-lubed. Maybe I should bring it in for a
look-see...

Dave

PS How is the Ottrott to ride?
Old August 14th 04, 04:46 AM
Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson wrote:

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message

[snip]
I have Dura Ace triple, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Very poor
shifting between middle and inner chainrings. It especially gets hung
up shifting down from middle to inner. Also, there aren't enough trim
clicks with the triple, so you get a lot of chain rub.

Dave

That's not been my experience with either of my Serottas or mty Kirk,

all DA
triple equipped.

It is on my Odonata.

Is it a maintainance or adjustment issue, perhaps? My chain is
reasonably clean and well-lubed. Maybe I should bring it in for a
look-see...

Dave

It sounds like an adjustment issue, though the downshift from the middle to
the inner ring requires more pressure on the lever than the same shift on my
Ultegra equipped bikes. I have no chain rub except in extreme cross-chain
configurations, which I never purposefuly do. With the front der properly
adjusted, there's plenty of trim.

PS How is the Ottrott to ride?

Very, very nice!

Old August 14th 04, 06:24 AM
RWM

"Dave Beal" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering ordering a Serotta Legend Ti (maybe the ST), and I'd
like to put a 9 speed DuraAce triple on it. The dealer didn't bat an
eye when I talked to him about this, but then I searched this
newsgroup and found Peter Chisholm's post saying that this won't work
because the Legend seat tube is so fat that the front der cage won't
move far enough inward to get the chain onto the small ring.

I have great respect for Peter's expertise, but I'm curious why I
can't find any other references to this problem on the Internet. Has
anyone successfully put a DuraAce triple on a Legend? Thanks.

- Dave Beal
Longmont, CO

Please excuse not answering your question, and I have no direct knowledge of
DA triples at all, but I was wondering if you have given any thought to a
compact chain ring setup? I am starting to investigate a new road bike and
am thinking that a compact crank might be the way to go. I have 9-speed
Ultegra triple now and I realized that I almost never use my top or bottom
gears.

Old August 14th 04, 01:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dave- I searched this
newsgroup and found Peter Chisholm's post saying that this won't work
because the Legend seat tube is so fat that the front der cage won't
move far enough inward to get the chain onto the small ring. BRBR

We have worked on many Serotta Legends with the fat seat tubes and have had
problems gettting the front der to move far enough inward to get the chain to
the small ring. Spacers on the BB, grinding of the portion of the front der
where it hits the seat tube and even small indentations have all worked to fix
this.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 15th 04, 12:04 AM
Jeff Starr

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:00:26 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

Dave Thompson wrote:

I had a Legend ST, and now an Ottrott, both with Dura Ace triple components.
In both cases it works just fine. I've never heard of what Mr. Chisholm
referred to. Perhaps it was a custom with very oversized tubes.

I have Dura Ace triple, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Very poor
shifting between middle and inner chainrings. It especially gets hung
up shifting down from middle to inner. Also, there aren't enough trim
clicks with the triple, so you get a lot of chain rub.

Dave

Hi, I have a DA triple on my 2002 LeMond Tourmalet and I have no
problem with chain rub. The DA triple allows trimming in both the
large and middle ring. I think your problem is adjustment. To resolve
any concerns about shifting down to the inner ring, I installed a
N-Gear Jump Stop. Although I don't believe the Jump Stop is necessary.
I did all the adjustments myself, following the instructions on the
Shimano instruction sheet[available online], info from Sheldon Brown,
and the Park Tool website.

Life is Good!
Jeff