The sweet spot in biking

Old October 23rd 04, 06:15 PM
Peter Cole

"amh" wrote

Running is different in that it doesn't react with the body. If you
take measures to reduce injury (stretch, wear proper shoes, don't over
do it, eat properly, etc) the body will adapt to the running just
fine.

Not for me. I tried regular running in my 20's, had knee problems. Went to
a sports doc, he told me I was just too big to run (6'10", 230), said I'd
just trash my body. I quit, and have had no knee problems since (30 yrs).
My brother, who is a couple of years younger, kept running, and is now
looking at double knee replacement. Our cycling club is full of ex-runners
who had to give it up because of chronic injuries. One guy I knew gave up
marathoning because of trashed knees, to up bike riding to rehab, wound up
winning a US national masters time trial. He couldn't run, but biked 1,000
mi/wk for training.

Old October 24th 04, 10:24 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:

|| Now some might say 'if you're not sore, you haven't ridden hard or
|| long enough', and no argument from that. I really expected to be a
|| little sore from my epic ride up Monticello, but, nope. Nada. (BTW I

Anytime I do about 60+ miles, my quads are sore for a couple of days
afterwards. I wish that problem would go away.

Old October 25th 04, 03:00 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:24:02 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

|| Now some might say 'if you're not sore, you haven't ridden hard or
|| long enough', and no argument from that. I really expected to be a
|| little sore from my epic ride up Monticello, but, nope. Nada. (BTW I

Anytime I do about 60+ miles, my quads are sore for a couple of days
afterwards. I wish that problem would go away.

You are nearly in the 'freak 0' nature' Cat, Rog. doing these 85 mile rides
in your first year on the bike! Someday I'll be trying that kind of
distance. Nov. hopefully. (metric century).

IOW, I don't get DOMS in the quads anymore. I have ridden a 60 mile day
recently, but it was two ~30 milers 1 am and 1 (non-scheduled) late
afternoon ride...nothing.

Btw, today I watched my first OLN network Bike race at home. I only had
basic cable and was not aware OLN was available, thus why I traveled to Va
beach to wach it as my brother's cable company had it as basic service.

Anyway today's were two triathlons, but with ample bike leg coverage. I was
whooping it up...er enjoying myself quite a bit.

Incidently, I was not aware that short course Triathlons in the series
allowed drafting and peloton type riding, just like a bike race. The long
course (Ironman distances) do not allow drafting and the passing rider has
12 seconds to get past and must maintain some distance (10 feet, 15 feet, I
forget) between any two riders. It ws a neat race with incredible tactics.
Catch it if you can (Germany Tri). I posted in another thread.

(A Postal team member participated in it, but they flash the names times so
freakin' fast on those, I couldn't get his name...rider #100, shaved head
all-white skinsuit. Made up huge time in the bike leg...couldn't get his
final.) The short course race (in Korea was Awesome. Incredible coverage,
and everything about it was super exciting (60 minute shows). Best of the
series so far)

-B

Old October 25th 04, 04:22 PM
SlowRider

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Anytime I do about 60+ miles, my quads are sore for a couple of days
afterwards. I wish that problem would go away.

In my experience, it will go away if you do adequate preparation ahead
of time. I'm still learning a lot about how the body responds to
training, but I've noticed that the body definitely improves its
ability to go for longer periods if you train it right: lots of long,
easy (meaning EASY) miles for the first few months of the season
(known as "base" to the racing types) followed by more intense
training and even longer rides later on.

A normal week for me during the main riding season includes 3-4 rides
of 20-30 miles (varying intensity) on weekday evenings, plus a long
ride (40-70 miles) on the weekend.

At the end of the summer I did a 50-mile charity ride. I just went
out and had fun -- hammered up some hills, sat back and chatted in a
group, hammered up some steeper hills, then went balls-to-the-wall for
the last ~15 miles. It was great fun, and I never had a thought about
my leg muscles (Ok, maybe on that one long, steep hill with the high
winds - yikes). They were a little sore at the end of the day, but
the next day I was fine.

BTW, I should mention that I don't race (too slow for that) -- I'm
just a medium-to-old fart who loves to ride.

As always, YMMV...

JR
Old October 25th 04, 05:07 PM
Badger_South

On 25 Oct 2004 08:22:24 -0700, (SlowRider) wrote:

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
[...]

I love you, man! uh, in a totally butch way, that is...er.

-B
You give good 'read'.

Old October 25th 04, 08:06 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:48:51 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

I love you, man! uh, in a totally butch way, that is...er.

-B
You give good 'read'.

*groan* Badge, that was a low blow.

*innocent look*

-km

Huh? I don't know what you mean. I was trying to say in a humorous way that
the post was just 'right', neat, and cool and got me off, since my thoughts
are so there....orgasmic riding / bike talk, iow.

Same as when a hot chick walks in with a totally state of the art
laptop...I sidle up and say, 'can I have a look...at your laptop'...and she
brightens and we talk shop!

-B

Old October 25th 04, 09:33 PM
Roger Zoul

SlowRider wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Anytime I do about 60+ miles, my quads are sore for a couple of days
::: afterwards. I wish that problem would go away.
::
:: In my experience, it will go away if you do adequate preparation
:: ahead
:: of time. I'm still learning a lot about how the body responds to
:: training, but I've noticed that the body definitely improves its
:: ability to go for longer periods if you train it right: lots of long,
:: easy (meaning EASY) miles for the first few months of the season
:: (known as "base" to the racing types) followed by more intense
:: training and even longer rides later on.

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

::
:: A normal week for me during the main riding season includes 3-4 rides
:: of 20-30 miles (varying intensity) on weekday evenings, plus a long
:: ride (40-70 miles) on the weekend.

My problem is I can't really count on riding 30 miles during the week. I
did managed to do that back in June, but only because my work schedule
happened to permit that. I'm not sure if I'll be able to count on that next
summer.
::
:: At the end of the summer I did a 50-mile charity ride. I just went
:: out and had fun -- hammered up some hills, sat back and chatted in a
:: group, hammered up some steeper hills, then went balls-to-the-wall
:: for
:: the last ~15 miles. It was great fun, and I never had a thought
:: about
:: my leg muscles (Ok, maybe on that one long, steep hill with the high
:: winds - yikes). They were a little sore at the end of the day, but
:: the next day I was fine.
::
:: BTW, I should mention that I don't race (too slow for that) -- I'm
:: just a medium-to-old fart who loves to ride.

Yeah, me too. Way too slow to race, and too heavy too. That's what leads
to such a workout for my quads, actually.

::
:: As always, YMMV...
::
:: JR

Old October 25th 04, 09:39 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
:: On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:24:02 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::: Badger_South wrote:
:::
:::
:::::
::::: Now some might say 'if you're not sore, you haven't ridden hard or
::::: long enough', and no argument from that. I really expected to be a
::::: little sore from my epic ride up Monticello, but, nope. Nada.
::::: (BTW I
:::
::: Anytime I do about 60+ miles, my quads are sore for a couple of days
::: afterwards. I wish that problem would go away.
::
:: You are nearly in the 'freak 0' nature' Cat, Rog. doing these 85
:: mile rides in your first year on the bike! Someday I'll be trying
:: that kind of distance. Nov. hopefully. (metric century).

Hmm....I don't really think that's true, Badge. I'm certain you could do it
too if you set your mind to it.

::
:: IOW, I don't get DOMS in the quads anymore. I have ridden a 60 mile
:: day recently, but it was two ~30 milers 1 am and 1 (non-scheduled)
:: late afternoon ride...nothing.

Hills. Hills. Hills.

::
:: Btw, today I watched my first OLN network Bike race at home. I only
:: had basic cable and was not aware OLN was available, thus why I
:: traveled to Va beach to wach it as my brother's cable company had it
:: as basic service.
::
:: Anyway today's were two triathlons, but with ample bike leg
:: coverage. I was whooping it up...er enjoying myself quite a bit.

Yeah, I've got my Tivo on the job getting those bike races for me. I love
tivo.
::
:: Incidently, I was not aware that short course Triathlons in the
:: series allowed drafting and peloton type riding, just like a bike
:: race. The long course (Ironman distances) do not allow drafting and
:: the passing rider has 12 seconds to get past and must maintain some
:: distance (10 feet, 15 feet, I forget) between any two riders. It ws
:: a neat race with incredible tactics. Catch it if you can (Germany
:: Tri). I posted in another thread.

I saw that and I have my buddy on the job

Seems kinda hard to be forced to pass in 12 seconds....depends on what the
other guy is doing.

::
:: (A Postal team member participated in it, but they flash the names
:: times so freakin' fast on those, I couldn't get his name...rider
:: #100, shaved head all-white skinsuit. Made up huge time in the bike
:: leg...couldn't get his final.) The short course race (in Korea was
:: Awesome. Incredible coverage, and everything about it was super
:: exciting (60 minute shows). Best of the series so far)

Did I mention that I saw Hincappie race right here in Greenville SC a few
weeks ago? It was in some pro-level bike race in the Fall For Greenville
Festival. Hincappie won the race and I was standing ride in line with the
finish line when he crossed and put those arms up. That was fun. Every
time the peloton flew by I tried to imagine how I would do in relation to
them. It was sad.

Old October 25th 04, 10:00 PM
the black rose

wrote:

I love you, man! uh, in a totally butch way, that is...er.

-B
You give good 'read'.

*groan* Badge, that was a low blow.

*innocent look*

-km

Huh? I don't know what you mean. I was trying to say in a humorous way that
the post was just 'right', neat, and cool and got me off, since my thoughts
are so there....orgasmic riding / bike talk, iow.

I think I saw a pun where none was intended (hence the groan).

My husband is an inveterate punster. He had a friend in
college that was as bad as he was; when those two got
together, people moved to more distant tables. Seriously.

Our sons showed signs of punster-ness at early ages.

I'm doomed. :-D

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie