Fires near my house again!

Old September 4th 04, 06:19 AM
Sierraman

Default Fires near my house again!

Fires near my house again, will it even end? My rides now consist of
checking out what been torched since my previous rides. Copters and planes,
Copters and planes and smelly smoke makes for some dizzying rides!

B-

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

Fire Rages Near Yosemite

Three structures are lost and scores of homes evacuated as more than 400
acres burn.

By Eric Malnic, Times Staff Writer

A wind-driven brush fire continued to burn out of control near Yosemite
National Park on Thursday night after destroying at least three structures
and scorching more than 400 acres, officials said.

"It's spreading fast," said Judy Ward, a spokeswoman for the California
Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. "There are lots of homes in the
area, and people are being evacuated."

Ward said the fire, of suspicious origin, started about 2 p.m. near Mormon
Bar, a rural community in Mariposa County, about 35 miles northeast of
Merced.

Fanned by winds, the flames moved rapidly into large stands of dry grass and
chaparral south of the town of Mariposa. Daytime temperatures were in the
90s and relative humidity was low.

"The winds are causing a lot of the difficulty," said Diane Crisp, a
spokeswoman for the Mariposa County Fairgrounds, where a temporary
evacuation center was set up.

"The smoke is going way up, maybe 1,000 feet in the air," she said.

About 250 firefighters were battling the blaze, which was 20% contained by
about 9:30 p.m.

Air tankers had made water drops until nightfall.

Crisp said scores of homes had been evacuated. Many residents went to the
fairgrounds, which had few permanent structures suitable for housing.

"The fair is opening tomorrow," she said, "so there's already a lot of
people there."

Kent Gosting, a transportation planner working in Mariposa, said trucks in
town were being commandeered to help haul livestock away from the flames.

Ward and Crisp said there had been several arson brush fires in the area in
recent weeks, leading to suspicion that the same person may have started
Thursday's blaze.

Old September 4th 04, 09:45 PM
Sierraman

"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

I went for a ride up that way and took a few shots, but the guy in the road
in one of these photos told me to beat a trail, so I had to turn back. I
spotted the smoke in the hot spot in the photo and told the guy about it,
but that didn't gain me any favor to stay any longer to take a few shots.
There were inmates working up the road and I guess it made him nervous. The
fire was mostly contained today. The house in the photo survived but burnt
all around his house and the horse in the photo must of been nervous.

http://216.219.161.193/temp/1.jpg
http://216.219.161.193/temp/2.jpg
http://216.219.161.193/temp/3.jpg
http://216.219.161.193/temp/4.jpg
http://216.219.161.193/temp/5.jpg
http://216.219.161.193/temp/6.jpg

Old September 5th 04, 08:41 AM
Kyle Legate

Sierraman wrote:
"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

Could you please resize these in the future? They don't have to be so large.

Old September 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Sierraman

"Kyle Legate" wrote in message
Sierraman wrote:
"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

True, but then many have cable and DSL, and like bigger. 56k doesn't fly too
well. Germany broadband is growing nationwide.

Old September 5th 04, 05:29 PM
Kyle Legate

Sierraman wrote:
"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

I _do_ have DSL, but I still think they're too big. Big enough to fit on the
screen is big enough.

Old September 5th 04, 05:47 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:29:10 +0200, Kyle Legate wrote:
I _do_ have DSL, but I still think they're too big. Big enough to fit on the
screen is big enough.

They fit on *my* screen, ahem.
Old September 5th 04, 06:33 PM
Sierraman

Sierraman wrote:
"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

true, 800x600 would do, but IE 6.0 will resize the photos automatically to
fit your browser. According to stats, more users now use 1024x768 then
800x600, and 1280x1024 is much more common now with cheaper prices on
monitors.

Old September 6th 04, 07:51 PM
Kyle Legate

Sierraman wrote:
"Sierraman" wrote in message
[...]

There's the problem! I use Mozilla, which doesn't resize, and I am using
1024x768 but a crappy laptop monitor.

Old September 6th 04, 08:17 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:51:49 +0200, Kyle Legate wrote:
There's the problem! I use Mozilla, which doesn't resize

Firefox does, see mozilla.org.