SS Belt Drive?

Old November 11th 04, 03:48 PM
supabonbon

Default SS Belt Drive?

A couple riders have brought up a discussion on chainwear recently.
That made me recall a Jericho SS showing off a belt drive they called
'Red October'. I've also seen them on Strida folding bikes. I'm sure
it's not a new concept.
Anybody out there actually riding a belt? I'm curious about pros and
cons. If they're trusted on motorcycles, why not bikes? You'd think
the drivetrain would last forever.
/s
Old November 11th 04, 09:56 PM
J G

If they're trusted on motorcycles, why not bikes? You'd think the

drivetrain would last forever.

Most of my MC riding buds have belt-drive's on thier MC's that last 10's of
thousands of miles....

I'd certainly give it a try on the 29"er Disc SS, since it is about as much
of an oddball bike as you cna uild these days.

--
ITSN Gunterman USN
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.

Old November 11th 04, 10:55 PM
peter.kidwell

"supabonbon" wrote in message
om...
A couple riders have brought up a discussion on chainwear recently.
That made me recall a Jericho SS showing off a belt drive they called
'Red October'. I've also seen them on Strida folding bikes. I'm sure
it's not a new concept.
Anybody out there actually riding a belt? I'm curious about pros and
cons. If they're trusted on motorcycles, why not bikes? You'd think
the drivetrain would last forever.
/s

I saw a belt driven bike badged Mercedes Benz the car company, it was belt
driven 7sp nexus hub. The rear sprocket initially gave problems jumping
Mercedes did a Sun Planet gear mod at the sprocket and since then the bike
as done many thousands of trouble free miles with no adjustment.
I have a pic of the mod
Question can you attach a picture to a newsgroup reply as I have never seen
an a reply with one.

PK

Old November 12th 04, 12:25 AM
bomba

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.2.4

Old November 12th 04, 01:18 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:25:45 +0000, bomba
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:55:18 +0000, peter.kidwell wrote:

Question can you attach a picture to a newsgroup reply as I have never seen
an a reply with one.

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.2.4

Hey, I made 1.3.6.

nice,
bill

Old November 12th 04, 03:01 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:18:58 -0500, Bill Wheeler =

wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:55:18 +0000, peter.kidwell wrote:

Question can you attach a picture to a newsgroup reply as I have nev=

er =

seen
an a reply with one.

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.2.4

Hey, I made 1.3.6.

nice,
bill

Welcome to 2003, Rumpelstiltskin.
--
Slacker

-- =

Slacker
Old November 12th 04, 03:09 AM
hippy

"bomba" wrote
Question can you attach a picture to a newsgroup reply as I have never

seen
an a reply with one.

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.2.4

The clipless FAQ link is broken..
http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt

other than that it's one of the funnier faq's I've
seen :-)

hippy

Old November 12th 04, 03:22 AM
miles todd

On 11 Nov 2004 06:48:44 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

A couple riders have brought up a discussion on chainwear recently.
That made me recall a Jericho SS showing off a belt drive they called
'Red October'. I've also seen them on Strida folding bikes. I'm sure
it's not a new concept.
Anybody out there actually riding a belt? I'm curious about pros and
cons. If they're trusted on motorcycles, why not bikes? You'd think
the drivetrain would last forever.
/s

Jericho gave up on it because of the near impossibility of getting enough
tension on the belt to prevent it from skipping. However, since they
shelved the idea a revolution in SS design has happened, and now
horizontal dropouts are passe, so maybe with an eccentric BB setup the
belt drive could be revived...

miles
Old November 12th 04, 08:52 PM
JD

"miles todd" wrote in message ...
On 11 Nov 2004 06:48:44 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

A couple riders have brought up a discussion on chainwear recently.
That made me recall a Jericho SS showing off a belt drive they called
'Red October'. I've also seen them on Strida folding bikes. I'm sure
it's not a new concept.
Anybody out there actually riding a belt? I'm curious about pros and
cons. If they're trusted on motorcycles, why not bikes? You'd think
the drivetrain would last forever.
/s

Jericho gave up on it because of the near impossibility of getting enough
tension on the belt to prevent it from skipping. However, since they
shelved the idea a revolution in SS design has happened, and now
horizontal dropouts are passe, so maybe with an eccentric BB setup the
belt drive could be revived...

But it's about what works, not what may be passe or in style, Miles.
I don't trust that eccentric BB crap at my weight and never will.

JD never in style, just riding bikes

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction Chalo General 86 December 3rd 03 06:41 AM
"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction Chalo Techniques 87 December 3rd 03 06:41 AM