How to remove a stuck pedal

Old November 10th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default How to remove a stuck pedal

On 11/09/2010 11:57 AM, kolldata wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:20 pm, wrote:
On Nov 8, 1:12 am, wrote:

A friend gave me a low-end Truvativ Touro crank, not a great crank.
Non-drive side (left) arm has a pedal on it that will not come off. I
tried using a 3 feet "cheater" pipe over my pedal wrench in
combination with both soaking the joint overnight in MEK and then a
liberal dose of penetrating oil. This sucker will not budge. And yes I
know its reversed threaded so I'm turning clockwise to get it off.
I also tried heating the crank arm around the pedal.

All ideas welcome. Junk crank anyway so what the heck.

Check that it is indeed left pedal shaft by the marking on the boss or
spanner flats. Use coca -cola here if we have not got plus-gas and
leave it to soak some hours, then re-apply when the original has
soaked up and leave again. Hit the working end of the spanner as you
apply the torque with the cheater bar. Shock tactics work well,
otherwise it's the propane torch and shock tactics.

coca-cola ?

yes it really works! I've used it before in a pinch. believe it's the
phosphoric acid that does the trick?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Stuck cleat on new pedal. Never came across this before. [email protected] Techniques 2 June 29th 06 05:58 PM
Help!! pedal stuck! annaats Unicycling 4 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Help!! pedal stuck! tholub Unicycling 0 May 6th 06 10:32 PM
Stuck pedal darchibald Unicycling 20 January 23rd 05 09:54 AM
Pedal stuck, any suggestions? Tony Raven UK 4 August 22nd 03 04:46 PM