How Much Difference Do Shoes Make?

Old June 9th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

Default How Much Difference Do Shoes Make?

I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Old June 9th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 8, 9:51 pm, Jorg Lueke wrote:
I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Who cares about efficiency? Racers do. Are you comfy? Then don't fret
Personally, I often go on thirty mile tears in Blundstone boots in
clips and straps with no discomfort.. If you're comfortable already,
but want more security, try some power grips. Or venture into the
world of spd. There are tons of walkable shoes that are spd
compatible, and also walkable. Are they necessary for casual riders?
Nah, unless you're suffering some sort of discomfort, stick with what
you got.

Old June 9th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:51:57 -0700, Jorg Lueke wrote:

I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Yes, but it wouldn't be dramatic. The main advantage over toe clip &
strap pedals is that it's much easier to get in and out of clipless pedals
with a little practice - you don't have to reach down to tighten and loosen
the strap. But if you're not stopping often, that wouldn't matter much.

Old June 9th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Jorg Lueke wrote:
I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

The biggest advantage of clipless pedals to recreational riders is that
when you get exhausted, the pedals are wonderful at helping hold your
feet on the pedals. This is a major issue for some recumbents, and may
be an issue for people riding downhill MTBs.

For the average person tottering around the neighborhood, they're not
much use.
~
Old June 9th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

On Jun 9, 5:03 am, landotter wrote:
On Jun 8, 9:51 pm, Jorg Lueke wrote:

I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Who cares about efficiency? Racers do. Are you comfy? Then don't fret
Personally, I often go on thirty mile tears in Blundstone boots in
clips and straps with no discomfort.. If you're comfortable already,
but want more security, try some power grips. Or venture into the
world of spd. There are tons of walkable shoes that are spd
compatible, and also walkable. Are they necessary for casual riders?
Nah, unless you're suffering some sort of discomfort, stick with what
you got.

Cool. Thanks all to the responses. I'll keep doing what I am
doing.
The shorts remain essential though :-D

Old June 9th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 9, 1:45 am, Michael Warner wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:51:57 -0700, Jorg Lueke wrote:
I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Yes, but it wouldn't be dramatic. The main advantage over toe clip &
strap pedals is that it's much easier to get in and out of clipless pedals
with a little practice - you don't have to reach down to tighten and loosen
the strap.

Huh? Back when I was using my pretty Diadora slot cleats, I never ever
tightened the straps down, as I've never found it necessary to pull my
leg straight up. Same goes for the clips and straps on my city bike,
the straps are tightened so that my shoe of choice barely slips in,
and the strap ends are tucked away permanently.

Old June 9th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 9, 7:06 am, DougC wrote:
Jorg Lueke wrote:
I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

The biggest advantage of clipless pedals to recreational riders is that
when you get exhausted, the pedals are wonderful at helping hold your
feet on the pedals. This is a major issue for some recumbents, and may
be an issue for people riding downhill MTBs.

For the average person tottering around the neighborhood, they're not
much use.
~

Indeed, for the average totterer, rubber block pedals are the best
choice, as they're comfy in bare feet.

Old June 10th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article . com,
Jorg Lueke writes:
I use the regular stap in peddles that came with my bike and regular
sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and sturdy,
but obvoiusly not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much difference?
Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour or two of riding?

Stiffer soles actually do allow a rider to transfer more
power into the cranks, than do more flexible soles. I
don't know if you'll notice any increase in efficiency,
but I think you'll detect a much more positive "feeling"
that all your output wattage is going to where it belongs.

Some riders put orthotics in their casual street shoes
to stiffen them up for riding. I don't know how well
that works; it sounds to me like one might as well
use plywood insoles. You really want the stiffness to
be integral with the shoe. But orthotics might make a
credible compromise between riding and walking in
your oxfords.

I once had a pair of Carnac Ventoux touring shoes (which
I used with toe clips & straps,) and they worked very
well for me. I too often forget to remind myself to
replace them, and there are many other things above them
on my wish list. But Carnacs do seem to fit my feet better
than many other brands. On the other hand, orthotics are
cheaper.

You are wise to forego running shoes for riding.

When I'm going to work, my Dakota[tm] steel toe shoes
perform surprisingly well -- they have that compromise
between stiffness and flexibility that so many riders
seek. They even fit into my humongous Mt Zefal plastic
toeclips, when I undo the straps enough. Too bad they're
so heavy and bulky.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 10th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Jorg Lueke writes:

I use the regular strap in peddles that came with my bike and
regular sneakers. They're not running shoes, pretty flat bottom and
sturdy, but obviously not cycling shoes. Do the shoes make much
difference? Would I notice an increase in efficiency over an hour
or two of riding?

I don't think you could detect efficiency but if you ride forcefully,
you will notice that you can do things that are not possible with
unattached shoes or even ones with straps and clips. That this occurs
was underscored by early claims that step in pedals (including steel
cleated SPD) would pop out under heavy load.

It was so much a subject that track riders refused to change to such
pedals claiming that they would pop out. The reason they popped out
is that clips and strap riders develop a foot twist to make sure the
shoe cannot lift while sprinting, and it is this twist that caused
release.

This is similar to the introduction of step-in pedals when it was
common to see riders lying on the ground in the pedals because they
forgot lat minute that getting out of clips and straps was done by
lifting while step-in pedals required a twist, one that experienced
riders used to remain in the pedal.

If you occasionally stand and sprint over small hills or up railway
under/over passes, you'll find having the foot firmly and reliably
attached to the pedal is a welcome effect, especially when it is so
secure in use while being easily released when desired. Tightening a
strap has two deficits, it constricts the foot if effectively tight,
and it works itself loose over time making it unreliable.

I prefer the SPD 737 pedal with no float and the:

http://tinyurl.com/yxfwd3

shoe with a smooth rubber sole that allows walking indoors and on the
street without sounding like women's spike heels. An additional
feature is that the steel cleat works even when full of dirt, it being
designed to work in mud as well.

Jobst Brandt
Old June 10th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 9, 7:00 pm, wrote:

If you occasionally stand and sprint over small hills or up railway
under/over passes, you'll find having the foot firmly and reliably
attached to the pedal is a welcome effect, especially when it is so
secure in use while being easily released when desired. Tightening a
strap has two deficits, it constricts the foot if effectively tight,
and it works itself loose over time making it unreliable.

I never tightened my straps when I rode slot cleats, and never pulled
out. If such shoes were still readily available, I'd likely still ride
clips and straps. I like the positive feel. My 105 platforms from
circa '90 were the pinnacle of feel and comfort.

I prefer the SPD 737 pedal with no float and the:

I like the Wellgo WPD-801. It's also rebranded by Nashbar and Ritchey.
It's bulletproof pedal, and cheap enough that you can put it on five
bikes for the price of the Shimano 737. I use it with road shoes
because that's what I happened to have handy. Works great, needs next
to zero maintenance. Never a pull out, never a tip over.

http://tinyurl.com/yxfwd3

shoe with a smooth rubber sole that allows walking indoors and on the
street without sounding like women's spike heels. An additional
feature is that the steel cleat works even when full of dirt, it being
designed to work in mud as well.

Indeed, walkable cycling shoes are the best thing that arrived with
the modern retention systems.