Why are cyclists chasing a motorcycle race?

Old April 6th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Why are cyclists chasing a motorcycle race?

Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 6th 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Apr 5, 7:59*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

Dumbass -

I was in a solo break once in a race that had lead motorcycles. I
wanted to catch them so I could draft them. ****ers. They're like a
tease. I could never catch them.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old April 6th 09, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Apr 5, 9:58*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Apr 5, 7:59*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

Dumbass -

I was in a solo break once in a race that had lead motorcycles. I
wanted to catch them so I could draft them. ****ers. They're like a
tease. I could never catch them.

Dumbass,

If you were Belgian and they were Belgian motos,
you would have had a better chance.

Don't blame your lack of ability. Blame your
parents, your upbringing, and your genes.

Ben
RBR Minister of Self-Help
Old April 6th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:59:52 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You see it occasionally, when there are several no-car zones near the
end and the (lack of) separation doesn't warrant the extra support
vehicles. What's there isn't on camera much.

I think this is the race that Graham Watson wrote about being caught
out and unable to catch up on the road, so they were running up the
side roads to get back in position for photos.
Old April 6th 09, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

On Apr 5, 8:59*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I wonder if it's a reflection of the narrow roads used for this and
other spring classics but even on stage races, it seems out of
control, the number you see. Seems like 2 or 3 times the number just a
decade ago. Security? Press?
Old April 6th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but anybody watching the last 30k of Flanders notice
the huge number of motorcycles covering the race?

To be fair, it appears to be a zillion motorcycles and very few cars. It
just gives it a different sort of flavor when watching the coverage.
Almost as if it's a motorcycle race and the cyclists are trying to catch
up.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You see it occasionally, when there are several no-car zones near the
end and the (lack of) separation doesn't warrant the extra support
vehicles. What's there isn't on camera much.

I think this is the race that Graham Watson wrote about being caught
out and unable to catch up on the road, so they were running up the
side roads to get back in position for photos.

Graham was there taking pix of the guy that broke his (sram)
chain....dooohh!!
Old April 6th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

wrote:
[...]

i'm disappointed. i thought this thread was going to be about how
devolder went up the Muur van Geraardsbergen like a Harley ...
Old April 6th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote:
[...]

Coughing, gasping, wheezing, and breaking a chain? Don't think so...

wrote:
[...]

Heiden chasing Longo [email protected] Racing 26 February 4th 08 12:15 PM
WTB: English BB chasing taps Neill Currie Marketplace 0 May 23rd 06 06:09 PM
BB Chasing Tap monkeyboy Techniques 19 January 8th 06 02:05 AM
Are cyclists allowed to race on public roads? RipVanWinkle UK 1256 June 4th 05 01:41 AM
chasing grams Golden Chicken Unicycling 6 July 26th 04 09:43 PM