eggbeater problems

Old November 6th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default eggbeater problems

Ok. I buy the eggbeater 3 pedals a nice pedal, I have the lower model on my
other rode bike now. I like them no problems 3000 miles but installing this
egg 3 is different. Instead of the usual 9/16 thread and you tighten the
pedal it has a cap to tighten with an 8mm hex nut. It works fine for the
right-sided pedal but the left is crazy. Naturally you have reverse thread
on the left but tighten the hex nut on the inside cause it to loosen against
the spindle. Now I can get the pedal on and it works but you cannot get any
real pressure to at least near the torque specs. I realize this is the left
pedal so maybe it really does not matter but I am at total loss why they
make this so difficult. I manage to do a fret job and vintage Gibson L5
guitar today and that took less time to figure out than this simple pedal on
a bike.

I am I stupid or does this even make sense? Any help on those who might know
what I mean?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Old November 6th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church
"Mark Cleary" wrote in message

[...]

What and idiot I am! Finally comes the dawn, I need to use the 8 mm allen
wrench from the other side of the pedal by the crank to tighten the puppy.
Never occurred to me to look at using the other side until I saw a diagram
on the web. You can have a good laugh on my stupidity. Hey I at least found
my own answer.

Old November 6th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

On Nov 5, 8:37*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
[...]

It happens to the best of us Mark. Try not to "fret" over it. Ride
happy!
Coz
Old November 6th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:42:49 -0700 (PDT), TheCoz
wrote:

[...]

Ha! I just installed a set of Shimano 520's using an allen wrench.
Felt pretty proud of my self..... until I happened to read the Shimano
technical sheet packed with the pedals and found a little note saying
that using an allen wrench does not provide sufficient torque and a
wrench must be used :-(

Cheers,

John B.
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
Old November 7th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

news
wrote:

[...]

Big difference in torque supplied by a norma-length 6mm allen and a
longer 8mm designed for pedals. But you can get enough torque for the
6mm on the backside, if you use a cheater bar (hollow tube, something
like a seatpost but a bit smaller) for leverage. You're still fighting
the increased flex of a 6mm (vs 8mm) wrench, but you can certainly get
them tight enough that way.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 8th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:36:49 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

I wasn't commenting on the possibility of getting the pedals tight
enough, but on the fact that Shimano mentions using a wrench in spite
of making the pedals with an allen wrench receptacle.

Old November 8th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 7, 10:36*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

Or use a torque wrench with a 3/8 x 8mm driver you can find at Auto
Zone, etc.
Leverage plus a "reading".
--D-y

Eggbeater Cleats Marian Techniques 4 June 14th 07 06:33 AM
WTB: Eggbeater pedals Bill Marketplace 0 August 23rd 05 11:45 AM
EggBeater Failure Zoot Katz General 17 August 11th 05 09:48 PM
Crank Brothers Eggbeater, Candy, et al. pedal problems Llatikcuf Techniques 1 August 9th 05 07:44 PM
EggBeater question Chris Zacho The Wheelman Techniques 8 January 3rd 05 09:06 PM