Best shoes for Mallets?

Old October 28th 04, 02:49 AM
Dan

Default Best shoes for Mallets?

Hi

I'm thinking about getting some Mallet Cs for the Enduro as I would often
like to be able to bail without having to clip out of the spd's. At the
moment I've got a 3 year old pair of Answer riding shoes that are a good fit
but have a solid sole so aren't really going to work that well on platforms.
Can anybody recomend a good pair of semi-soft (?) cleat compatible shoes for
wearing with or without the Mallet cleats in them?

Cheers
Dan

Old October 28th 04, 11:25 AM
Super Slinky

Dan says...

Hi

I'm thinking about getting some Mallet Cs for the Enduro as I would often
like to be able to bail without having to clip out of the spd's. At the
moment I've got a 3 year old pair of Answer riding shoes that are a good fit
but have a solid sole so aren't really going to work that well on platforms.
Can anybody recomend a good pair of semi-soft (?) cleat compatible shoes for
wearing with or without the Mallet cleats in them?

Cheers
Dan

I went through this whole adventure recently, only with Candy SLs. One
thing you should know is that soft soles grip on platforms and this can
make unclipping extremely difficult. With out of the box Candy SLs and
Shimano M120 shoes, I had to spend more than an hour with a utility
knife carving away parts of the soles that had too much contact with the
platform. By the time I was finished, I wished I had just bought regular
Eggbeaters.
Old October 28th 04, 09:17 PM
JD

"Dan" wrote in message ...
snip

Traditionally, mullets wear Chippewa boots with Vibram soles while
driving their Camaros.

JD
Old October 28th 04, 09:25 PM
Dan

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Dan" wrote in message

snip

Traditionally, mullets wear Chippewa boots with Vibram soles while
driving their Camaros.

JD

hmm, perhaps i should be investing in a gun rack for the bike too...

Dan

Old October 28th 04, 09:33 PM
bomba

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:25:49 +0000, Super Slinky wrote:

I went through this whole adventure recently, only with Candy SLs. One
thing you should know is that soft soles grip on platforms and this can
make unclipping extremely difficult. With out of the box Candy SLs and
Shimano M120 shoes, I had to spend more than an hour with a utility
knife carving away parts of the soles that had too much contact with the
platform. By the time I was finished, I wished I had just bought regular
Eggbeaters.

Even with regular Egg Beaters, my soles still needed carving.
Old October 28th 04, 09:34 PM
bomba

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:49:25 +1300, Dan wrote:

I'm thinking about getting some Mallet Cs for the Enduro as I would often
like to be able to bail without having to clip out of the spd's. At the
moment I've got a 3 year old pair of Answer riding shoes that are a good fit
but have a solid sole so aren't really going to work that well on platforms.
Can anybody recomend a good pair of semi-soft (?) cleat compatible shoes for
wearing with or without the Mallet cleats in them?

Go for the shoe that fits and feels good and then make them work with the
pedal. All shoes will work with clipless platforms anyway.

Old October 28th 04, 10:53 PM
Bruce Edge

JD wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message ...
snip

Traditionally, mullets wear Chippewa boots with Vibram soles while
driving their Camaros.

JD

LOL, I thought the same thing. Bad name.
Old October 28th 04, 11:07 PM
Stephen Baker

Bruce Edge says:

LOL, I thought the same thing. Bad name.

I was goingot suggest steel-toed shoes if he's playing with mallets, but
decided he couldn't be kack-handed enough to hit himself in the foot. ;-)

Steve
Old October 29th 04, 06:43 AM
Super Slinky

bomba says...

Even with regular Egg Beaters, my soles still needed carving.

I'm not surprised. I had to do a bunch of carving to get Frog cleats to
fit too.
Old November 1st 04, 09:17 PM
John Spann

"Dan" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Dan" wrote in message

snip

Traditionally, mullets wear Chippewa boots with Vibram soles while
driving their Camaros.

JD

hmm, perhaps i should be investing in a gun rack for the bike too...

Dan

All you need to know is right he
http://mountainbikemilitia.com/

John Spann