RR: Foggy Ride.

Old October 30th 04, 04:36 PM
Bill Wheeler

Default RR: Foggy Ride.

Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
least there would be no major mud to deal with.

As expected two knuckle heads buzzed me on the way to the trails head,
can't really blame them because of the thick fog.

I was supposed to hook up with another rider on the UMBC side, I start
on the Landing Road side (for you locals who know what I'm talking
about). It was slow going, I just took it easy on the way down
following the Cascade Trail. A little dab did me just fine here and
there.

I made it to the UMBC side just after 8:00. I was happy to see that
my buddy brought his SS. It was his first time out in Patapsco on the
SS. He was in for an eye-opener to say the least. This guy can smoke
me on the road, but when it comes to the SS and the trails I got his
number.

He calls his SS the dumpster bike. (Frame from the dumpster) Canties
on the front and rear, but all in all when it comes to SSing simpler
is better. Actually that's the whole point of SSing.

The fog never lifted, at least it was warm somewhere around 60-65 F.
I ended up popping 2 spokes on routine fall. (yes falling is routine,
more people should learn that skill) ;-) Thank goodness for discs.

The spokes were right next to each other one on either side of the
hub. The wheel was about 1/4 out of true. Did I say thank goodness
for disc? I lost absolutely no loss of braking power and I was able
to continue without further incident. Now I just need to do a
semi-rebuild.

I was riding my 18t so the going was very easy for me. My buddy on
the other hand was running a 16t which made life a little difficult
for the conditions.

We ended up riding for 3 hours, that's riding, not
ride-stop-ride-stop-ride crap that you see people do.

Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

Peace,
Bill

Old October 30th 04, 04:37 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Bill Wheeler wrote:
[...]

Nice,

Bill "it had to be done" S.

Old October 30th 04, 09:52 PM
FeltnA

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
Bill Wheeler wrote:

[...]

Another foggy ride photos:
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/Oktobrskaskupna2004
Old October 30th 04, 11:27 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

FeltnA wrote:

Another foggy ride photos:
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/Oktobrskaskupna2004

Looks like fun.

Bill "so is snipping" S.

Old October 31st 04, 03:23 AM
Chris Brown

Bill Wheeler Wrote:
Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
least there would be no major mud to deal with.

Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

Peace,
Bill

Coupla singlespeeders out tearing it up. Pretty good stuff.

paladin

--
Chris Brown

Old November 1st 04, 01:26 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:37:44 GMT, "B i l l S o r n s o n" Formerly
from Maryland
wrote:
[snip]

Nice,

Bill "it had to be done" S.

sawright,
bill

BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?
Old November 1st 04, 10:59 AM
Stephen Baker

Bill W asks Bill S:

BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?

'Sallright, Bill, Sorni's just a bit spaced out at the moment. ;-)

Steve "keepin' it together" B
Old November 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Stephen Baker wrote:
Bill W asks Bill S:

BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?

'Sallright, Bill, Sorni's just a bit spaced out at the moment. ;-)

Steve "keepin' it together" B

Ah, I'd missed the question. Months ago someone hijacked my account (I
think), so I tried a few versions of User Names to thwart the fiend. (I
started having server problems around same time; prolly just a paranoid
coincidence.)

Bill " s p a c e d i n d e e d " S.

Anyone ride slow but long? Bob in CT General 56 September 1st 04 02:51 AM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
2003 RSVP (post ride ramblings) William Higley, Sr. Recumbent Biking 0 August 11th 03 02:07 AM