Garmins

Old January 6th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cadseen

Default Garmins

Are garmins worth it ?

Think they can be used with some of the trainers like Tacx

___________________________
http://virtualcycling.googlepages.com

Old January 6th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:58:24 +0000, Cadseen wrote:

Are garmins worth it ?

Worth what? The price you pay for them? Hard to say. Each person would
have to make that determination for themselves. In a general sense, they
can certainly be useful.

Think they can be used with some of the trainers like Tacx

Sure.

Old January 9th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jan 6, 10:04*am, Dan C wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:58:24 +0000, Cadseen wrote:
Are garmins worth it ?

Worth what? *The price you pay for them? *Hard to say. *Each person would
have to make that determination for themselves. *In a general sense, they
can certainly be useful.

Think they can be used with some of the trainers like Tacx

Sure.

The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
Ahhhhhhh!: *http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

I don't know, I wear my GPS while I'm on the rollers and it just
doesn't show that I've gone anywhere...
But then again I haven't - so, yeah: I guess it's working fine. But
then that's the new GPS - which only kinda works indoors, my older one
doesn't work indoors at all.
Old January 10th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
DennisTheBald writes:
On Jan 6, 10:04*am, Dan C wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:58:24 +0000, Cadseen wrote:
Are garmins worth it ?

Worth what? *The price you pay for them? *Hard to say. *Each person would
have to make that determination for themselves. *In a general sense, they
can certainly be useful.

Think they can be used with some of the trainers like Tacx

Sure.

The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
Ahhhhhhh!: *http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

I don't know, I wear my GPS while I'm on the rollers and it just
doesn't show that I've gone anywhere...
But then again I haven't - so, yeah: I guess it's working fine. But
then that's the new GPS - which only kinda works indoors, my older one
doesn't work indoors at all.

Sounds like a plain ol' hardcopy map would do the trick :-)
(Or even a Post-It with your address written on it.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old January 10th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:
In article ,
DennisTheBald writes:
On Jan 6, 10:04*am, Dan C wrote:
[...]

BTW, I just ~luvs~ hardcopy maps, 'cuz one gets such
a range of big-picture view, to discrete details from them.

Looking at electronic maps is like looking at a pixelated
version of a hardcopy map, through a stupid little scrollable
peephole. They'll kill your eyesight and render you needful
of reading glasses.

I'm fairly sure Claire Petersky and I share the same
appreciation of real maps and their beauty, for the
same reasons.

A display the size of a few square centimetres is simply
not enough to convey any nuances of the local landscape.

cheers,
Tom

Old January 12th 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jan 9, 11:14*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * (Tom Keats) writes:

In article ,
* *DennisTheBald writes:
On Jan 6, 10:04*am, Dan C wrote:
[...]

How do you get that hardcopy map to tell you how fast moving?

Old January 17th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats[_20_]

In article ,
DennisTheBald writes:
On Jan 9, 11:14*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * (Tom Keats) writes:

In article ,
* *DennisTheBald writes:
On Jan 6, 10:04*am, Dan C wrote:
[...]

Pocket calculator or mental arithmetic or GNU's bc or real
Unix's dc,) and a clock or watch.

On the fly, wetware gives as good results as the size of
the fish that "got away." That's usually good enough
for everybody.

One can also count streetlight standards and pedal-strokes
between them -- if one is OCD.

Why is speed so important, anyways? It's as though people
wanna get their rides over 'n done-with as soon as possible.

I've been observing how people use speed. Most don't use
it very well. Eg: people using public transit buses to
access rapid transit trains -- they've gotta be first off
the bus, so they can dawdle and thereby keep the people
behind them from getting onto the rapid transit train.
They rush to butt-in on you, and then they prevent you.

And bicycles -- everybody who sees a bicycle ahead of them
just simply /has/ to get ahead of the bicycle, at any cost.
They'll crawlingly scramble over a mile of broken beer bottle
glass shards if they have to, to achieve that goal. What's
up with that?

cheers,
Tom