looking out for 25.4 quill stems

Old October 12th 03, 06:01 PM
Garry Broad

Default looking out for 25.4 quill stems

Hi, I have a new bike - another secondhand one - mountain bike, rigid
fork, 21 speed, and quite a nice light frame [handbuilt Saracen,
whatever they are].
Thing is, the reach and height of the handlebars is not entirely to my
liking and I'd like to raise it by an inch or so and extend the reach
slightly.

Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill
stems they'd be happy to part with.

I've had no luck locally with the LBS.

If you want to contact privately then:

Many thanks
Garry
Old October 12th 03, 06:29 PM
Pete Biggs

Garry Broad wrote:
Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill
stems they'd be happy to part with.

Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal
extension or the other way round?

Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

(Sorry I haven't got any stems for sale at the moment).

~PB

Old October 12th 03, 06:36 PM
Pete Biggs

ps. Don't forget the ahead adaptor option (using ahead stem with existing
forks and headset). These work very well and will increase your choice of
stems hugely. There are a lot of ahead stems with plenty of rise out
there.

~PB

Old October 12th 03, 08:20 PM
Garry Broad

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:29:23 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Garry Broad wrote:
Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill
stems they'd be happy to part with.

Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal
extension or the other way round?

Sorry yes, the 135-150mm refers to the 'reach', the horizontal
extension and the 100+ to the vertical.

Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

Yes, I did have a look at these and there are one or two there that
might do the job, but in all honesty I'm reluctant to spend too much
on one just at the moment, as the bike only cost about £15 in the
first place!! [I've get this strange kind of satisfaction from
maintaining 'cheap transport'....only to then wander down the pub and
spend 25 quid on Guinness watching Becks sky a penalty yesterday!!].
Having said that, if it's the difference between comfort and
discomfort then it's money well spent in getting it sorted.

And refering to your other post Pete, thanks for the suggestion of
using an ahead adaptor, hadn't thought of that, good idea. I wasn't
intending to get into ahead stems until at least another 10 years or
so, when they might start appearing down at the dumps :-)

many thanks
Garry

Old October 13th 03, 10:20 AM
Clive George

wrote:

Garry Broad wrote:
Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill
stems they'd be happy to part with.

Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal
extension or the other way round?

Sorry yes, the 135-150mm refers to the 'reach', the horizontal
extension and the 100+ to the vertical.

Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

Yes, I did have a look at these and there are one or two there that
might do the job, but in all honesty I'm reluctant to spend too much
on one just at the moment, as the bike only cost about £15 in the
first place!!

Settle do a long adjustable one that's quite cheap (13sq?). It's not great
(a bit soft) but it does appear to work.
It's bigger than most ahead/adapter solutions I could find.

cheers,
clive

Old October 15th 03, 09:27 PM
Garry Broad

Settle do a long adjustable one that's quite cheap (13sq?). It's not great
(a bit soft) but it does appear to work.
It's bigger than most ahead/adapter solutions I could find.

Yeah, thanks, I did in fact come across this after I'd posted his
original message...it could well be the best option.

cheers
gb