more cycling in England

Old November 13th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default more cycling in England

Cocaine is hardly news until it turns tragic:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...list-bike.html

(US variant: Oregon salmon swim across roads while in the
midwest we improvise with mushrooms and fantasy fish:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/cri...-say/860169001
)

Always everywhere taxpayer funds will be wasted, if not
perniciously turned against taxpayers, one way or another:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-fly-by.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 13th 18, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 10:47:39 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Cocaine is hardly news until it turns tragic:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...list-bike.html

Yow. That's one rough looking 35 year old!

And the definition of "woman of good character" seems to have gotten far too
broad.

Always everywhere taxpayer funds will be wasted, if not
perniciously turned against taxpayers, one way or another:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-fly-by.html

I guess I wouldn't object to the idea of the signs; but the cost seems crazy.
That seems like the thing any subscriber of _Make_ magazine could build
for less than $100.

However, 10 mph is maddeningly slow on a bike. I'm not much of a fan of physical
segregation between bikes and cars, except in unusual situations. But I'd
welcome physical segregation between pedestrians and bikes in places like that.
It makes more sense to me than keeping bikes to "barely balance" speed.

I've probably said this before, but when our local metropark closed a road
(18 feet wide) and made it a bike-ped MUP, they imposed a 10 mph bike limit.
(No speed limit for runners or skaters, just bikes.) They attempted to enforce
it with an enclosed police scooter with a radar gun.

The cop tried to pull over one guy I knew. He was probably doing about 15 mph,
and he's not the type to ever endanger anyone, so it was probably empty
pavement where he did that.

He refused to pull over. He simply accelerated and rode away. Turns out that
scooter had a top speed that wasn't as great as his.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 13th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/13/2018 2:13 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Elegant solution!

in re British 10mph signs, at least the UK spends less than
California, at $3million+ per day to not build a train
which, if actually built, can never break even on operations

https://ktla.com/2018/08/26/californ...lation-delays/

Old November 13th 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 8:31:01 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

in re British 10mph signs, at least the UK spends less than
California, at $3million+ per day to not build a train
which, if actually built, can never break even on operations

https://ktla.com/2018/08/26/californ...lation-delays/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In California the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. And all of that was done by Pure Might of Virtue Signalling. I'm working on bottling it.

Andre Jute
---after which I'll rename myself Yo! and cut a hit record

cycling in England AMuzi Techniques 41 September 21st 14 02:10 PM
Cycling England to go JMS UK 3 September 30th 10 07:56 PM
Cycling England review Tom Crispin UK 2 April 14th 10 01:20 PM
Cycling in North of England Klaus Steinkamp UK 13 November 17th 08 03:27 PM
Cycling England Tom Crispin UK 2 April 13th 07 11:03 PM