Was I caught by an electric bike?

Old March 4th 11, 06:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Was I caught by an electric bike?

Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
hopelessly outclassed

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
Old March 4th 11, 08:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
hopelessly outclassed

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)
Old March 5th 11, 05:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 5/03/2011 7:48 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
hopelessly outclassed

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)

No, that was the other chick at Regent Street, Redfern That one was
riding a road bike and and I simply could not keep up - not that I
wasn't trying despite the obvious advantages of "falling behind" I
give no quarter when I am riding my bike.

God's truth, she beat me fair and square - tight shorts AND in rubber
thongs!!!! Yes, I know some smart arse will ask, she did have a top on
Old March 5th 11, 05:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 5/03/2011 2:10 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Alan on Sat,
05 Mar 2011 07:48:37 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
hopelessly outclassed

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)

To give Geoff the benefit of the doubt , it was probably a windy day and
the dust was swirling around making visibility almost impossible. ;-)

No, mate, the one in Mascot was just dressed normally and there was
virtually no wind

I still reckon she had an electric bike with some snazzy minuscule motor
hidden in he rear hub.
Old March 5th 11, 05:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.

A front wheel motor, eh?

The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
for them.

The battery was about an inch thick, underneath the basket and the same
length and width as the basket.

Can't rightly remember where the battery was for the postie bike. I
think it was under the seat. Much like the tool bag on your new trike, I
think.

A disadvantage with that trike was it only had 3 gears when I needed to
peddle it.

My current trike has much the same arrangement with the motor on the
front wheel. The battery presents as if it could be a tool bag under the
seat. An advantage is this trike has 6 gears when I need to peddle it.

How big is that battery? How long does it last under "normal" use? Any
specs - voltage, amps? Have you tried the maximum speed your trike is
capable of? And oh, no need for precise details as you could always just
point me to some website - I am just after info which you have handy -
if you don't have them handy, don't worry too much

Have you tried pedaling that trike? Must be a ******* to pedal cos it
must weigh a bit.
Old March 5th 11, 08:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

Ah! back peddle brakes?

Old March 5th 11, 08:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

[...]

The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.

Old March 6th 11, 03:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 6/03/2011 7:08 AM, Rob wrote:
On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-la...304-1bi1d.html

The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
for them.

Ah! back peddle brakes?

Yeah? You having me on, aren't you?
Old March 6th 11, 03:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 6/03/2011 12:21 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
16:55:01 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.

A front wheel motor, eh?

Being a trike a front wheel motor is the only choice. If you wanted a
rear motor you would need to fit motors to both back wheels otherwise
the trike would probably go around in circles. :-)

Heheheh! I guess if you drove only one rear wheel of the trike, that
would happen, eh?

Have you tried the maximum speed your trike is
capable of? And oh, no need for precise details as you could always just
point me to some website - I am just after info which you have handy -
if you don't have them handy, don't worry too much

My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had a speedo and I was
never able to exceed 20kph. My current trike also does 20kph which is
the maximum speed an unregistered electric trike is able to travel at.

Ah! It's not a registered vehicle. I see.

Have you tried pedaling that trike? Must be a ******* to pedal cos it
must weigh a bit.

Yes I have, with a very very full basket of groceries I was able to
pedal home, I used 1st 2nd& 3rd but there was no chance of me obtaining
a higher gear. ;-)

Heheheh! You need to find a downhill section, eh?

But being able to use the first 3 gears with a fully laden trike
suggests that the gear ratios are not too bad.

You have one of these?

http://www.electricbicycle.com.au/electrictricycle.html
Old March 6th 11, 03:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote
On 6/03/2011 7:08 AM, Rob wrote:
On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
for them.

Ah! back peddle brakes?

Yeah? You having me on, aren't you?

Except for the spelling, no. Back pedal brakes, also known as coaster brakes
were pretty much standard on most bikes when I was a kid.

Theo