Riding to Canberra

Old March 10th 11, 10:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Riding to Canberra

On 10/03/2011 11:00 PM, suzyj wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:35 pm, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

I did the Hume to Canberra and back as part of an Audax 600. It's
pretty quick, and the hills are relatively easy, but it's incredibly
boring. The biggest hazard is debris on the shoulder - mainly bits of
truck tyres.

Audax 600? Bloody hell, I have heard of Audax 300 and I reckon they are
mad - stark raving, so that make you twice as crazy?

Better to make your way through Mittagong, Bowral etc on the old Hume,
only popping onto the freeway when necessary.

Hm, that would make it a bit further, I think? Dunno, not very familiar
with that area.
Old March 10th 11, 10:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 11/03/2011 7:43 AM, terryc wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

Thousands.
Hint, you could always catch the train part of the way;
Campbelltown/Penrith, Moss Valeor gouldburn spring to mind.
How many days did you want to spend doing it?
What weight and how are you carrying it?
Can you fix a puncture or three?
Accomodation by plastic or tent?

Catching the train part of the way seems like a good compromise as I
intend to do it in one day.

Weight wise, I'll probably not be carrying very much - change of
clothes, something warm, water, basic tools. I'll be sleeping rough in
Canberra so no tent.
Old March 10th 11, 10:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 11/03/2011 7:55 AM, Rob wrote:
On 10/03/2011 4:35 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

There is a big difference with traffic travelling relatively slow
through Sydney and 110Km/h on the highway.

Traffic is my main concern as I have no idea of conditions on route.

When I started riding in Sydney, I had time to suss out the traffic
before venturing onto the main road with my riding style. Riding to
Canberra with zero knowledge of traffic conditions is a bit of a worry
to me

I ride along an expressway which is 80Km/h in the cycle lane, that is
full of road debris and the cars and trucks passing are scary.

Provided I do not come a cropper riding in the middle of the lane as I
normally do, I am not too worried with the speeds of other vehicles in
other lanes.

In travelling down to Canberra I like the car. It's usually a pretty
boring trip.

No car
Old March 10th 11, 11:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

The Federal Highway is pretty much OK, lots of Canberra cyclists use it,
there would be 100 or more out there most Saturdays or Sundays. The Hume
north of Goulburn is not much fun because of the trucks. Even off the
road you get blown around and the debris in the breakdown lane is a hazard.

I'd have to say that it doesn't in general feel unsafe, just unpleasant,
so I'd look for other roads such as through
Mittagong-Bowral-Exeter-Penrose-Marulan-Brayton-Goulburn. North of
Mittagong I'll defer to local advice, south of Goulburn you'll be right
on the highway. There is only a short bit of the Hume from Goulburn to
the Federal Highway intersection where you'll have the company of all
the trucks. Just before the turnoff from the Federal Highway to Bywong
you can join the old highway which makes a pleasant change. You can stay
off the highway from there (apart from a few hundred metres at the
Sutton Road intersection) to Eaglehawk near the ACT border.

Old March 11th 11, 12:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

Just reread this... brain fade... you can turn off the Federal Highway
onto the old highway much earlier... as soon as you climb the escarpment
at Lake George.

Old March 11th 11, 02:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:21:55 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 10/03/2011 5:15 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
close to Canberra, but I don't think I've seen any in the hilly bits,
perhaps there's a different route they take?

You'll get a bit of a workout on the hills!

Long uphill climbs?

Well.. rollers, just big ones! you are going over the Great Dividing
Range after all, even if it is not the Greatest part.

THere are some long mild uphills and a couple of big *******s but from
memory most of the big ups have a big down before them.

Zebee
Old March 11th 11, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

Almost all the climbing is between Campbelltown (altitude about 100m)
and Bowral (altitude about 740m), after that it is more or less level
the whole way with 50m up and down rollers. You don't cross the Great
Dividing Range till after Goulburn (it is about 755m but you'll hardly
notice it) and the altitude doesn't vary much through the southern
highlands until the final descent to Canberra at 560m.

Old March 11th 11, 07:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Geoff Lock wrote:

Catching the train part of the way seems like a good compromise as I
intend to do it in one day.

Catch the train to Goulburn, then down through Tarago and Bungendore and
in that way.

Caveat, that was the recommended way before the four lane highway was
taken all the way to Canberra, In the old days, traffic on the Kings
highway could be bad, but usually you were riding at other times. It
would still be the scenic route.

Basic google maps is;
Highway 93kms
T, B and then back to highway 110kms
T, B and Queanbeyan(the old touring route) is 107kms.
Old March 11th 11, 10:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

I regard the Goulburn to Tarrago section as marginal because of the
amount of heavy traffic and comparatively poor shoulders. I think
traffic for the garbage dump and wind farms has made it worse.

I'm going out through Tarrago on Sunday so I will give it another check.

Old March 11th 11, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

If you come in via Bungendore I would seriously avoid Mac's Reef road. I
think it is entirely unsuitable for bicycles because of the high speed
traffic and zero shoulders with poor sight lines and significant
climbing. Coming the other way on it is worse though. Better to go via
Bywong or Norton Summit Road.

I must say though that the best route is the Federal Highway. It is
scenic if you are not doing 110kph. Rowe's Lagoon, Collector, Lake
George, what isn't to like about this route?

Geoff Lock wrote:

Catching the train part of the way seems like a good compromise as I
intend to do it in one day.

Catch the train to Goulburn, then down through Tarago and Bungendore and
in that way.

Caveat, that was the recommended way before the four lane highway was
taken all the way to Canberra, In the old days, traffic on the Kings
highway could be bad, but usually you were riding at other times. It
would still be the scenic route.

Basic google maps is;
Highway 93kms
T, B and then back to highway 110kms
T, B and Queanbeyan(the old touring route) is 107kms.

Clothes for riding in the middle of winter in Canberra Joseph Australia 11 May 7th 08 04:41 AM
24hr riding in Canberra RobWoozle Australia 4 April 27th 07 12:01 PM
Riding in Canberra on 29er Gags Australia 4 March 5th 07 10:37 AM
Canberra Riding Marty Mountain Biking 12 January 6th 07 02:38 PM
Er? Anyone here from Canberra? asterope Australia 7 October 15th 06 01:04 PM