Bike lanes (USA theme, but partially applies in UK)...

Old June 14th 11, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Bike lanes (USA theme, but partially applies in UK)...

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:43:55 -0600, The Revd wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 05:22:33 -0700 (PDT), "Nkosi (ama-ecosse)"
wrote:

On Jun 13, 9:31*am, "GT" wrote:
This will no doubt be raised by one of the cyclists in here, so I'll get in
first...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/wor...anada-13730774

When driving my car on the road, if I find another vehicle blocking my lane,
I pull out and pass it - never really had a problem with that as it follows
the instructions in the highway code. The same rules apply to cyclists, so
again there isn't really a problem if their lane is blocked. However, it
would appear that the rules are different in the states - this guy was fined
for riding his bike outwith the cycle lane.

British cyclists use everything except the cycle lanes. We have them
here wherer I live but the choice is rather to use the pavements.

That should be illegal.

What do you mean "should be"?

Surely cyclists are allowed to ride on pavements, jump red lights, ignore
pedestrian crossings and travel at whatever speed they like as the speed limits
do not apply to them.
Old June 15th 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
The Revd[_3_]

wrote:

On Jun 13, 9:31*am, "GT" wrote:
[...]

Yes, they are alllowed to do all this, especially if they're black.
But it should still be illegal.