Touring Bike Recommendations?

Old April 18th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Touring Bike Recommendations?

On Saturday, November 26, 1994 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-8, VFRANKL wrote:
I'm looking for a touring bike (under $2000 price range).
Any recommendations?
Any opinions on the most important and/or preferred features?
Most bike shops that I've been to in my area don't seem to carry many
strictly touring bikes. Some that I've seen in the bike shops include:
Cannondale T1000, Trek 520, and the Trek 2120. One bike shop that did
seem to have a pretty extensive collection of all types of bikes, also
would build custom bikes (but would likely be a tad expensive ;-).
I would appreciate any recommendations and/or input on good/bad
experiences with particular touring bikes/features.
Thanks.
--Vic

I would recommend the Surly Long Haul Trucker with disc brakes. See https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker. These are about $1600 so they are within your price range.
Old April 18th 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

SMS wrote:
[...]

If he hasn't bought a bike in 24 years, he has given up.

--
sig 125
Old April 18th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/18/2018 4:34 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

The good news is, that's only about $950 in the 1994 dollars VFRANKL is
using.

Now if we could just get that message to him, back in time...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 21st 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 4/18/2018 2:45 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/18/2018 4:34 PM, SMS wrote:
On Saturday, November 26, 1994 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-8, VFRANKL wrote:
I'm looking for a touring bike (under $2000 price range).
Any recommendations?
Any opinions on the most important and/or preferred features?
Most bike shops that I've been to in my area don't seem to carry many
strictly touring bikes.Â* Some that I've seen in the bike shops include:
Cannondale T1000, Trek 520, and the Trek 2120.Â* One bike shop that did
seem to have a pretty extensive collection of all types of bikes, also
would build custom bikes (but would likely be a tad expensive ;-).
I would appreciate any recommendations and/or input on good/bad
experiences with particular touring bikes/features.
Thanks.
--Vic

I would recommend the Surly Long Haul Trucker with disc brakes. See
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker. These are about $1600 so
they are within your price range.

The good news is, that's only about $950 in the 1994 dollars VFRANKL is
using.

Now if we could just get that message to him, back in time...

It's a little-known fact that the Surly Disc LHT has a mount for a
compact flux capacitor in the BB shell and stay mounts for a Mr. Fusion.

Mark J. [It's otherwise a great bike, too]