Andrew Gilligan and Greenwich Council

Old July 24th 13, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Andrew Gilligan and Greenwich Council

Following last months disgraceful Greenwich Council meeting, where
Cllr. Hyland made disparaging remarks about part-time workers in
general, and the Mayor of London's part-time cycling commissioner in
particular, and Cllr. Roberts accused the Mayor of London as giving
"jobs for the boys", the following motion has bee proposed for this
month's council to consider:

======================

Motion Signed by Councillors Drury, Wilson, Thomas, Hills, Clare,
Brighty, Brinkhurst and N. Fletcher

Council notes that at the June Council Meeting the Leader of the
Council and Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Enterprise and Skills
answered three questions which reflected on the Council’s relations
with Mr Andrew Gilligan, the Mayor of London’s Cycling Commissioner.

Council notes the negative views of Greenwich resident Andrew Gilligan
contained in the answers, including sections which read:

“In relation to the Mayor’s Cycling Commissioner, this is a part time
post awarded to a Greenwich resident who is a journalist who has
blogged and written about significant issues of public policy within
Greenwich and it is our view that he has an irresolvable conflict of
interest.” (Cllr Hyland)

And

“I think the issue is why given the first 12 or 13 years have we not
required a Cycling Commission why we now need a Cycling Commissioner
on the equivalent of £90,000 a year for somebody who got another job,
seems like jobs for the boys.” (Cllr Roberts)

Council disagrees with the Cabinet Member’s suggestion that Mr
Gilligan has “an irresolvable conflict of interest” and considers that
his superior knowledge of our Borough should be something which works
to Greenwich residents’ advantage.

Council regrets that Greenwich is the only Borough not to meet with
the Cycling Commissioner to help plan spending on infrastructure to
support cycling across London.

Council considers that the actions and comments of the Leader of the
Council and Cabinet Member with regard to the Cycling Commissioner
places our residents at a clear disadvantage as plans are developed to
improve cycling across London.

In particular Council wishes to express clear support for the ‘Mayor’s
Vision for Cycling in London’, most notably in its plans for a network
of direct, high-capacity, joined-up cycle routes. In addition Council
supports the Vision’s plan for ‘Mini-Hollands’ in the suburbs and Mr
Gilligan’s support for the linked Dutch ideas of bike-specific traffic
lights, station cycle hire, and streets designs that could be
implemented in London.

Council calls upon the Leader of the Council or Cabinet Member to meet
with the Cycling Commissioner as soon as possible to ensure that
Greenwich residents (like Mr Gilligan) are not disadvantaged by the
Executive’s failure to engage fully with the Mayor’s Vision for
Cycling in London.