today's ride

Old April 19th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default today's ride

On 4/18/2018 11:14 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I bought a rain cape once. I put it into my pannier, went for a ride,
as I was leaving a mall parking lot it started to rain, I stopped and
put the cape on, looked back to see whether it was safe to start
moving, got off, and put the cape back into the pannier. It hung on a
hook in the back entry until it rotted and I threw it away.

??

Why?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-19 07:24, Duane wrote:
On 2018-04-17 19:50, Joy Beeson wrote:
James wrote:

-snip clothing-

For the self-employed like me that won't work. Of course, I
won't wear a Greenbay Packers T-shirt with holes in there to
a client.

I don't follow football but are you really more special than
His Holiness himself?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ay-packers-fan

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 19th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-19 07:24, Duane wrote:
On 2018-04-17 19:50, Joy Beeson wrote:
James wrote:

-snip clothing-

For the self-employed like me that won't work. Of course, I
won't wear a Greenbay Packers T-shirt with holes in there to
a client.

I don't follow football but are you really more special than His
Holiness himself?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ay-packers-fan

Nah, I actually gave up (cut up) my Packers T-shirt when a dog had a
medical emergency.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 19th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 20/04/18 02:36, dave wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:59:12 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I get almost 1/2h of evap cooling out of my cotton T-shirts. That is
usually enough to get to the next lake, creek or other water source.

My lycra skin suit dries far quicker than 1/2h of riding. More like 5-10
minutes.

I suspect the cotton retains more of the moisture rather than wicking it
away and evaporating it. The aim is not to stay wet but be cooled by the
evaporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen

Facinating stuff. Never knew it had such a long history of usage.

If only it was elastic!

--
JS
Old April 19th 18, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-19 15:14, James wrote:
On 20/04/18 02:36, dave wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:59:12 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I get almost 1/2h of evap cooling out of my cotton T-shirts. That is
usually enough to get to the next lake, creek or other water source.

My lycra skin suit dries far quicker than 1/2h of riding. More like 5-10
minutes.

That's exactly what one does not want for evap cooling. Cotton provides
enough of a reservoir to keep evaporating and thus cooling my body for
half an hour. On hot days I wear the slightly thicker version T-shirts
for that reason.

I suspect the cotton retains more of the moisture rather than wicking it
away and evaporating it. The aim is not to stay wet but be cooled by the
evaporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen

Facinating stuff. Never knew it had such a long history of usage.

If only it was elastic!

Yup :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6XEzhqaCE

Someone here once said that the inventor of Lycra deserves a Nobel prize.

Old April 20th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Old April 20th 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:32:12 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Pockets? Don't need them, don't want them. To me a real bicycle has a
trunk or panniers just like motor vehicles do.

Commercial jerseys don't have *enough* pockets. There are things that
must come with me when I leave the bike, such as my wallet and keys
and reading glasses, and there are things that I must get at without
dismounting, such as my handkerchief, pocket watch, and notebook.

(I pull off and stop before using the last two, of course.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old April 20th 18, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 6:10:13 AM UTC+1, Joy Beeson wrote:

Commercial jerseys don't have *enough* pockets. There are things that
must come with me when I leave the bike, such as my wallet and keys
and reading glasses, and there are things that I must get at without
dismounting, such as my handkerchief, pocket watch, and notebook.

(I pull off and stop before using the last two, of course.)

You could join the 21st century and fit a cheap bike computer like the Sigma BC509, which will tell you the time at a glance.

If you don't want to descend quite that far into nerdiness, the Altura Night Vision Evo jacket has four ziippered pockets, one the normal one across the lower back, plus three on the front. Reading glasses would most handily slip into the outside breast pocket

AJ
Old April 20th 18, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Pockets? Don't need them, don't want them. To me a real bicycle has a
trunk or panniers just like motor vehicles do.

Commercial jerseys don't have *enough* pockets. There are things that
must come with me when I leave the bike, such as my wallet and keys
and reading glasses, and there are things that I must get at without
dismounting, such as my handkerchief, pocket watch, and notebook.

(I pull off and stop before using the last two, of course.)

The Ancients had pockets on both sides of their jerseys:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...rtali--012.jpg

Today's ride Tom Crispin UK 7 October 12th 08 03:37 PM
Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
today's ride Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 May 14th 06 09:02 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 12:58 PM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 11:45 AM