Subaru hitch and bike racks

Old September 28th 18, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc
Larry Dawson

Default Subaru hitch and bike racks

I have a 2016 Subaru Outback with the factory installed 1.25” hitch. I
am looking to get a hitch mount rack for it and have settled on the
Thule Helium Aero 3 but have read the only rack that will correctly fit
Subaru’s hitch is the Subaru branded Thule available only through
Subaru. It appears to be identical to Thule’s Helium Aero 2. Has anyone
had success using a hitch rack with the Subaru hitch other than the
Subaru branded rack? Thanks for your help.

Old September 28th 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

On 9/28/2018 3:29 PM, Larry Dawson wrote:
I have a 2016 Subaru Outback with the factory installed
1.25” hitch. I am looking to get a hitch mount rack for it
and have settled on the Thule Helium Aero 3 but have read
the only rack that will correctly fit Subaru’s hitch is
the Subaru branded Thule available only through Subaru. It
appears to be identical to Thule’s Helium Aero 2. Has
anyone had success using a hitch rack with the Subaru hitch
other than the Subaru branded rack? Thanks for your help.

First off, I do not know.

So I looked at Saris hitch fits for Outback (of which there
are several submodels - which?) clicking 5 door wagon.

All Saris hitch models fit that vehicle.

Basically, the 1-1/4 and 2 inch hitch formats are federally
specified formats for towing trailers. I can't imagine a few
bicycles being any safety problem.

That said, I would check your rack vendor's fit list before
assuming the liability yourself.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 28th 18, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/28/2018 4:29 PM, Larry Dawson wrote:
I have a 2016 Subaru Outback with the factory installed 1.25” hitch. I
am looking to get a hitch mount rack for it and have settled on the
Thule Helium Aero 3 but have read the only rack that will correctly fit
Subaru’s hitch is the Subaru branded Thule available only through
Subaru. It appears to be identical to Thule’s Helium Aero 2. Has anyone
had success using a hitch rack with the Subaru hitch other than the
Subaru branded rack? Thanks for your help.

I can't say about an Outback, but a good friend just put a Kuat hitch
rack on his Subaru Forester. He loves it.

What do they claim is the problem with a rack without the Subaru brand?

In my experience, the rack manufacturers take pains to make things fit.
The car manufacturers want you to buy only their high-priced accessories.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 28th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

On 9/28/2018 4:34 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

But there are indeed foibles and failings; dumping a rack
full of bikes through the windshield behind you is a bad
thing, possibly criminal negligence. Do indeed confirm the
rack manufacturer's fit guidelines first.

Old September 29th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 1:29:22 PM UTC-7, Larry Dawson wrote:
I have a 2016 Subaru Outback with the factory installed 1.25” hitch. I
am looking to get a hitch mount rack for it and have settled on the
Thule Helium Aero 3 but have read the only rack that will correctly fit
Subaru’s hitch is the Subaru branded Thule available only through
Subaru. It appears to be identical to Thule’s Helium Aero 2. Has anyone
had success using a hitch rack with the Subaru hitch other than the
Subaru branded rack? Thanks for your help.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-164584.html https://www.yakima.com/holdup
I have one that I use with an Curt aftermarket 2" receiver on an Outback. Full disclosure -- I'm brand loyal because the head of products for Yakima is my best bicycling buddy and my next-door neighbor. If any of my racks doesn't work right, I walk a few doors down and complain.

-- Jay Beattie.