new chain, slack

Old February 3rd 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default new chain, slack

BTW in the text, it says

Subject: 8d.2 Chain cleaning and
lubrication; wear and skipping

Provided the section "8d.2" isn't a joke, where
can I find the rest of the book? If all
sections are as good as this one, and if we add
illos on top of it, I dare say it is one of the
best bicycle books OAT

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 3rd 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/3/2018 11:04 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
BTW in the text, it says

lubrication; wear and skipping

Provided the section "8d.2" isn't a joke, where
can I find the rest of the book? If all
sections are as good as this one, and if we add
illos on top of it, I dare say it is one of the
best bicycle books OAT

He refers to the FAQ for this usenet group:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 4th 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

BTW in the text, it says Subject: 8d.2 Chain
cleaning and lubrication; wear and skipping
Provided the section "8d.2" isn't a joke,
where can I find the rest of the book?
If all sections are as good as this one, and
if we add illos on top of it, I dare say it
is one of the best bicycle books OAT

He refers to the FAQ for this usenet group:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/

Any other gold pieces in that FAQ that you
think of instantly?

Old February 4th 18, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/3/2018 8:31 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

BTW in the text, it says Subject: 8d.2 Chain
cleaning and lubrication; wear and skipping
Provided the section "8d.2" isn't a joke,
where can I find the rest of the book?
If all sections are as good as this one, and
if we add illos on top of it, I dare say it
is one of the best bicycle books OAT

He refers to the FAQ for this usenet group:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/

Any other gold pieces in that FAQ that you
think of instantly?

There was a time when newcomers to a Usenet group were expected to read
the FAQs.

It still makes sense.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 4th 18, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

There was a time when newcomers to a Usenet
group were expected to read the FAQs.

It still makes sense.

So what part did you like the best?

Old February 4th 18, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

There was a time when newcomers to a Usenet
group were expected to read the FAQs.

It still makes sense.

So what part did you like the best?

The ending was fantastic, but I wouldn't want to ruin it for you...

Old February 4th 18, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/3/2018 9:04 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
BTW in the text, it says

lubrication; wear and skipping

Provided the section "8d.2" isn't a joke, where
can I find the rest of the book? If all
sections are as good as this one, and if we add
illos on top of it, I dare say it is one of the
best bicycle books OAT

It's all there.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part2/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part4/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/

Some of it is rather amusing:

"2) Be careful when buying film in Europe. Some of the film prices
include processing charges. It is best to ask what's what."

"20) rather than change your foreign currency back to US money when you
return home, save it for future use when you return for your next
adventure."

"Air fares differ between high and low seasons, arrival and departure
locations, date of purchase"

But Jobst's advice on chain lubrication is still just as true:

"Lubricating the chain with hot 90W gear lube works but it is also
efficient fly paper, collecting plenty of hardpack between sprockets
and on the outside of the chain. Motor oil is far better, but
motorcycle chain and chainsaw lubricants are better yet, because they
have volatile solvents that allow good penetration for their
relatively viscous lubricant. Paraffin (canning wax), although clean,
works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing
surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any
water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

You can buy a gallon of chainsaw oil for under $8 at Walmart, and it
should last you many years, or the chain lubricants with foaming
solvents that evaporate can be purchased at a motorcycle parts store.