Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

Old June 27th 03, 01:18 PM
Michael Dart

Default Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

"Trentus" wrote in message

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

snip

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about

snip
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

My problem with this trick, is the fact that while learning it I'm almost
certainly going to come a gutser at least a couple of dozen times, and I
just aint that keen on falling onto a hard log, or off one even for that
matter (strange I know)

I get the concept, I just aint got the guts to go try it out.

Just start small to get the timing down until it becomes committed to
'muscle memory'. Then bigger stuff really becomes a 'no brainer'. ;^)

Mike

Old June 27th 03, 02:14 PM
Alan McClure

Well it seems that there is pretty much a concensus on how to do this. So,
I'll to exactly what is suggested, by starting with small logs, and working
my way up to larger ones. I don't have trouble with 6 inchers, so maybe, it
would be good to start with them, just to get the motion down, and then move
to bigger ones. Thanks for all the advice to everyone, I'll keep you all
updated when I am finally able to clear a 6 foot tall redwood log. I'm
thinking by as early as next week. :-)

Oh, by the way, if anyone on here lives out in Missouri, specifically near
Columbia, MO, and wouldn't mind riding sometime, I would enjoy it. There
are of course, plenty of great trails all over the state, as long as it
hasn't rained within the past few days.

Thanks,
Alan

Old June 27th 03, 02:15 PM
Dave Stocker

"Alan McClure" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12
inches tall.

Do You:

1) get off and carry your bike over

More often than not, yes.

2) hop over it

Sometimes, and if it is bigger than 6-8", I catch up on my chainring and it
is not a pretty sight.

3)bunny hop over it

Only the small stuff.

4)Other

You see, out of all the obstacles I come across, this is the only one that
consistently stumps me. I can get over them most of the time(especially
when they are smaller--heheheh), but it never feels smooth(rear wheel
bumps), sometimes I hit my chainring, and 1/3 of the time I fall or get
stuck. I am so frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to get
over them easily after many, many times trying. Soooo, what do you all do
when you see a log up ahead? And, what do you recommend me trying. I'll
practice anything if it'll help.

Thanks,

Alan McClure

I gots the same problem.

-Dave

Old June 27th 03, 02:18 PM
bomba

Alan McClure wrote:

I don't have trouble with 6 inchers, so maybe, it
would be good to start with them, just to get the motion down, and then move
to bigger ones.

My nomination for 'Freudian Post of the Month' award.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old June 27th 03, 02:23 PM
Dave Stocker

"Jon Bond" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...

Approach log fairly slowly, but not superslow. Figure middle front, one

of
the three largest rear. Rock backwards on the bike, pulling the bar with
you, and get the front wheel on the very top of the log.

I have seen Charlie's webpage and I remember this tip. I know that in
principle, I should not need strength to loft the front wheel. In practice
I end up jerking the front up. Is there more to it? What are your legs
doing? Is your butt moving horizontally or staying in place?

Try to stay
forward on the bike, over the bars, when you get to the log - if you're

too
far back, then you'll simply run right into the log with the rear wheel

and
fall. Ok, here's the important step - and its pretty hard to do without
clipless. What you want to do is pull up the rear wheel and put it on top
of the log. At the same time, you want to throw the front of the bike
forwards and down. This is a VERY explosive move, you actually get both
tires off the ground for a bit.

Aha! This lift the back wheel up thing I can do smoothly. I will work on
doing it directly following bring the front wheel up.

If you really do it well, and have enough
speed, you can actually clear the whole log this way. Usually, especially
on bigger logs, you'll simply end up with the front wheel down on the
ground, and the rear wheel on top. If you had the speed perfect, and do

it
right, then the wheel will come right off, and not even hit the top hard.
If not, you can give a very small pedal stroke and just watch your

balance.

I suspect that I approach too slow. This might be part of my problem.

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about, although Charlie doesn't quite
get the rear wheel all the way on top. Give 'im some slack tho, he is in
his mid 60s (and can still outpace me anyday, the guy's an animal!)
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

Hope that helps.

Jon Bond

Thanks,
-Dave

Old June 27th 03, 02:54 PM
Alan McClure

"bomba" wrote in message
Alan McClure wrote:

I don't have trouble with 6 inchers, so maybe, it
would be good to start with them, just to get the motion down, and then

move
to bigger ones.

My nomination for 'Freudian Post of the Month' award.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Okay, I'll even second that one.

Alan

Old June 27th 03, 02:56 PM
J'm Sm'th

Alan McClure wrote:

Well it seems that there is pretty much a concensus on how to do this. So,
I'll to exactly what is suggested, by starting with small logs, and working
my way up to larger ones. I don't have trouble with 6 inchers, so maybe, it
would be good to start with them, just to get the motion down, and then move
to bigger ones. Thanks for all the advice to everyone, I'll keep you all
updated when I am finally able to clear a 6 foot tall redwood log. I'm
thinking by as early as next week. :-)

Oh, by the way, if anyone on here lives out in Missouri, specifically near
Columbia, MO, and wouldn't mind riding sometime, I would enjoy it. There
are of course, plenty of great trails all over the state, as long as it
hasn't rained within the past few days.

Thanks,
Alan

Hey Alan,

Have you done Berryman Trail recently? Would be interested to know what kind
of condition it is in.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
....-.-
Old June 27th 03, 03:05 PM
Alan McClure

"J'm Sm'th" wrote in message
Alan McClure wrote:

[...]

...-.-

Nope, actually, I'm gonna try to make it out to St. Louis and St. Charles
this weekend, but I haven't made it any further south than Binder Lake in
Jefferson City yet this season. So, I'm thinking I'll try in the next
couple of weeks. I'm gonna try to get an idea about it by talking to some
people in St. Louis. I'll let you know what I find out.

Alan

Old June 27th 03, 03:07 PM
Jon Bond

"Dave Stocker" wrote in message
"Jon Bond" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...

Approach log fairly slowly, but not superslow. Figure middle front, one

of
the three largest rear. Rock backwards on the bike, pulling the bar

with
you, and get the front wheel on the very top of the log.

I have seen Charlie's webpage and I remember this tip. I know that in
principle, I should not need strength to loft the front wheel. In

practice
I end up jerking the front up. Is there more to it? What are your legs
doing? Is your butt moving horizontally or staying in place?

Basically, if you can get the front wheel up while your body is still
forward over the bars (so you have room to push out and down), then you're
good.

[...]

I've gotten to the point where if I can get the front wheel on, I can
actually stop, do a hop to line myself up (read: keep myself from falling
sideways), then do the lunge forward onto rear wheel thing. I wouldn't do
it this way by choice, but I've had to do it on a 6" log 8" in the air when
the guy in front of me on a group ride flubbed it. You don't need much
speed, if you lunge hard enough, the bike gets a good deal of momentum that
way. If you can get the rear wheel onto the very very top of the log, then
the bike will either roll off, or just a little bit of a pedal stroke will
do it for you - just get that wheel up there, then you're golden!

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about, although Charlie doesn't

quite
get the rear wheel all the way on top. Give 'im some slack tho, he is

in
his mid 60s (and can still outpace me anyday, the guy's an animal!)
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

Hope that helps.

Jon Bond

Thanks,
-Dave

No problemo. Like I said, as soon as I have a mountain bike, and get used
to the full suspension timing, I'll take video of it on both small and large
logs, and post it up. Should help a bunch of people.

Jon "The log hoppa" Bond

Old June 27th 03, 03:10 PM
Andrew Thorne

[...]

Lotsa good advice so far, but I'm surprised no one has suggested the cyclocross
approach.

1) Approach the log at pretty high speed. (Middle ring, halfway down the
cassette)

2) Clip out your right foot and swing your right leg around to the left side of
your bike.

3) Pass your right foot between your left leg and the frame, clip out your left
foot at the same time.

4) Hit the ground running fast. Hoist your bike up onto your shoulder in the
same motion as jumping off.

5) Run/jump over the log

6) Get the bike off your shoulder and onto the ground, still running alongside

7) Leap back on without breaking stride.

8) Sprint away, leaving the guys who slowed down to ride over it in your dust.

Cheers,

-Andrew