5-year Hiatus is over! What should I do to my Cinelli??

Old July 30th 05, 01:23 PM
Andy & Denice Katz

Default 5-year Hiatus is over! What should I do to my Cinelli??

Hey -

I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
the loop a few times a week.

Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
since I've been out of the loop for so long.

I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
XA stem last another 10 years?

I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
shifters?

Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
though they weren't really used for 6 years??

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Old July 30th 05, 02:36 PM
Lee

Andy,

*Any* Campagnolo indexing derailleur will work with your 8 speed. Pick up an
8, 9 or 10 speed derailleur on ebay and you'll be fine.

With regard to the tires...I'd replace them with new ones. You'll have
better performance from the latest generation of tires...and there are a lot
of great choices available. Me, I use Vittoria, Michelins and Contis.

And keep your beautiful XA stem. Nothing wrong with it and no, you will gain
absolutely nothing from using a quill adapter and a threadless mount stem,
aside from 2 hours down the toilet removing and remounting your bars, and
some wasted bar tape.

I've got a beautiful mid-90s Cinelli Super Corsa hanging on my wall, waiting
to be built up as a fixxie. My every day rider, until recently, was an '89
Colnago Spiral Conic SLX (replaced by a C40), and I'm curious to see how the
two compare.

Lee

Old July 30th 05, 02:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Andy & Denice Katz wrote:
Hey -

I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
the loop a few times a week.

Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
since I've been out of the loop for so long.

I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
XA stem last another 10 years?

If it fits ya, no reason to switch. These things do not wear out.

I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
shifters?

No need to do anything but put the 10s rear der on. No need to swap
pulleys ir anything else. a 10s rear derailleur will work with an 8s
chain without problem.

Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
though they weren't really used for 6 years??

If they are not cracked, pump them up and go ride!! Congratulations on
getting back on that really nice ride. As you get more into it, do not
be swayed by the new crappola out there. None match the sweet ride of
your Cinelli. They may be a few pounds lighter but remember lighter is
just lighter, not better.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Old July 31st 05, 01:55 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:23:09 GMT, Andy & Denice Katz wrote:

[...]

Actually, the tires are the least of it. The alloyed steel in the frame will
have crystallized by now that the bike is too dangerous to ride. If you ship it
to me I can safely dispose of this potential disaster before it can harm you or
anyone who might sue you.

Ron

Old July 31st 05, 09:51 PM
A Muzi

Andy & Denice Katz wrote:

[...]

Yes, yes, yes, why?, why?
There are simple inexpensive adapters which allow use of AH
type stems, those stems come in all the same angles and
lengths as quill stems, modern quill stems are made with or
without face plates ( AH stems come both ways too). And
there's wider selection in bars too - wide, narrow, curved,
truncated curves, silver, black, etc

So, if your bike doesn't fit well, by all means change your
bar, your stem, or better yet, both. But since you can get
every size shape and feature in a quill stem, I don't see
any advantage of more weight and expense of buying the
adapter _and _ a stem.

Derailleurs don't care how many cogs you have. Since 8 is
poorly supported, choose any current Campagnolo rear
changer. I have not seen a case of incompatibility but
theoretically pre-2000 derailleurs have a slightly different
geometry than current. For best performance, adjust the
limits and then set your cable tension in a middle gear so
any variance is spread between high and low. I have not seen
any cage width issues but in theory ten rollers are skinnier
than eight. Your 8 rollers will fit in a new changer if you
feel they are necessary. Finally, 8 chain with snaplinks is
plentiful and cheaper than your nine chain without snaplink.
8 chain will shift better, last longer, cost less and
changing your chain more often will extend cassette tooth life.

Modern tires are mostly nylon which doesn't rot so unless
your 6 year old tire is cut or bruised it's useful.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org