From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Old July 18th 03, 12:04 PM
hippy

Default From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Fledge wrote:

Hmm, mountain bikes, interesting....and what about road familiarity,
general fitness etc.? How good do you have to be ability-wise to
make it as a courier? Surely not A-grade material as #215 put it?
*crosses fingers*

(x-posted to rec.bicycles.misc for some international opinions)

I've been watching this thread and I'm curious...
I've got a nice cushy office job that I'm not about to let go of,
BUT if there was one job I'd like to try before I retire it's always
been a bike courier. Ever since I saw some kids-ish show on
the ABC about a bunch of pommie couriers I've been fascinated
with the whole scene. If you don't mind, here's some questions:

What are the hours like?
What are the pay rates like? (performance based, yeah?)
Actually.. do you know of any "courier diaries" that would
outline a 'day at the office' so to speak?
What is your day like? How HARD is the riding and the
lifestyle generally?
Do any Aussie couriers do like the NYC dudes and ride
fixies or is it mostly mtb's? (most of Melbourne's seem to
be on mtb's..)
Do you have courier races?
Is it true that your hearts pump, not blood, but coffee? :-)
Why the tape all over the bikes? What's the point in
protecting the paint if you never see it? Is this just
so you can sell it after 100, 000k's to some sucker
as "near new"? :-)
What would you say if you were offered an easy office
job for double or triple the money you make now?
Given that you ride all day every day (I guess) - do you
ride "for fun" on weekends or anything?

thanks to any couriers for answering these...
i've genuinely been thinking about your job
as a career choice, although sanity has so far prevailed
and i've stuck with the office-bound lifestyle...for now ;-)

tipsy hippy

Old July 18th 03, 01:56 PM
Luther Blissett

hippy wrote:

[...]

Hopefully #215 can help out with this one

1 - Hours:
Monday to Friday, generally 08:00 to 17:30, unless you have a regular
early run (ie 07:00). Some time on maintenance at home.
2 - Pay:
For the majority, it's 100% comission based, no retainer. A decent
pushie pulls $1,000/wk or more + super. Bike + parts + repairs are tax
deductible (yay!).
3 - Courier Diaries/blogs:
No, I don't know of any, and most web sites appear to be dead links.
4a - A days riding.
It's very up and down. Some days you don't even get a chance to have a
slash, some days you sit on your arse all day waiting for work.
The most frustrating part of the riding is when you have real urgent
work, you bust your arse and take silly risks to save a few seconds, the
n you have to get in an elevator that stops at EVERY ****ING FLOOR.
Rain sucks, but you get used to it. Cold sucks, you never get used to
it. Goretex is priceless.
4b - Lifestyle?
Being physically very tired every night is not too crash hot, tends to
restrict the nightlife a bit. But there is a good sense of cameraderie,
a you do feel like you a part of a sub-culture (I don't think community
is the right word). It's always entertaining sitting in Martin Place at
going home time and watching the suits walk past on the way to the
station. They go out of their way to avoid us and even try not to make
eye contact. It's really weird, and sort of fosters an "us against the
world" mentality. Every now and again you nature throws up one of those
rare creatures best described as a "pushie groupie". Generally an older
office girl looking for some rough .. not good for ones self respect.
5 - Fixies
Everything is ridden, except dualies (unless the work bike is broken).
Single speed is not uncommmon (less maintenance). Suspension is a bit
pointless in the CBD as their is not much in the way of bumpy
roads/potholes to contend with. My Cannondale is good because I can turn
the suspension off, but sometimes I wish I had the gearing of a roadie,
particularly going across the Harbour Bridge.
6 - Courier Races
Yes, every now and again. The last round was at Helensburgh, behind the
pony club. Excellent weather, excellent day. We sometimes have drag
races in the city, where everybody dresses up in drag (don't ask).
Sometimes it is suit day, where we wear suits (Luther is dressed by St
Vincents).
7 - Blood
As a group - coffee, red cordial, Vitamin T, and magic herbs. There is
"community use" bongs secreted in various locations throughout the CBD.
I also have a fondness for Space Food sticks (I should hassle Whitewings
for a sponsorship).
8 - Tape
All pushies love their bikes, and nobody wants to **** the paint job. So
tape, then stickers. Favourites are "Cops are tops", "No root no ride",
"If you don't like my driving stay off the footpath". It also makes the
bike less tempting to casual theives as a $2000 bike can look like a
piece of ****. All second hand courier bikes are "near new". Just like I
"nearly" got my end in the other night. Honest!
9 - Money
Of course we would swap jobs for more money. After a while the body
starts to wear out, and sweet office job (with regular money + holiday
pay + sick pay) seems real tempting. Many go over to the Fark Side. Then
return. The leave again. Then return. Then leave again ...
See, riding around produces endorphins of some sort, and you do feel
good. And it is nice being free (in a way), and getting around. But a
normal life can be so tempting. It is also (nearly) impossible to pick
up decent girls when you tell them what you do. Can't compete with the
doctors, lawyers or "marketing consultants".
10 - Riding for fun
Most pushies spend their weekends riding, whether it be in roadie clubs,
or single-tracking or whatever. Strange but true.

In conclusion:
I reckon if you have just finished school, or have been politely asked
to take a year off uni, then have a crack at it. But remember - it's not
a career, and these days you need a career path by your mid twenties
(flame away boys!). Thus speaks the voice of hard, bitter experience.

Hippy: I hope this goes some way towards answering your questions!

--
Cheers
(A not so tipsy) LB

BTW: I saw Terminator 3 tonight - much better than I expected, I laughed
my head off!

Old July 22nd 03, 01:46 AM

Hippy, sounds like you'd be happy running your own bike courrier service,
maybe taking a run or two yourself. Sounds like a good idea . . .

Clean bicycle shoes? TekBuf General 3 July 14th 03 05:05 PM
Commuter Bicycle with fenders, chainguard, rack, etc., Any available in the U.S.? Steven M. Scharf General 3 July 13th 03 04:40 PM
Bicycle Courier Business Plan http://www.businessplanning-4-you.com General 0 July 12th 03 12:41 PM