Spinning

Old July 19th 03, 11:22 AM
Tom Blum

Default Spinning

I have been working at spinning for some time now.

Following Cletus Lee's advice, I got a tachometer. I am an avowed
cheapskate, so I used the cyclometer conversion method, where a cheap or
extra computer can be used. (search Google for details) .

You do have to have a cyclometer that reads tenths of a mph or kph. (Ask me
how I know that. ). I like the "sports car" look of the two gages on my
bars.

I concentrated on pedaling rpm, beginning in ridiculously low gears and
spinning to over 100 rpm before shifting. I wound up staying on the 28 tooth
ring of my triple crank. 105 rpm gives 18 mph in 28/13.

With the new spin speeds, I have to say "MY ASS IS KILLING ME!!!". The top
of my ham strings and the bottom of my glutes get sore. I'm beginning to
believe that the "recumbent butt" we write about is mainly due to
underdeveloped glutes. It all fits. Soreness after a while would be due to
lactic acid build up, due to a lack of capillary development. This is the
first stage of conditioning.

My theory is that old running adhesions are being stretched and broken loose
(this is a Good Thing tm). I just hope I break through soon.

Now, I find when I relax and just ride, I'm still spinning 85 to 90 rpm and
it seems comfortable. That's amazing to me, a masher by nature.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone
High Racer Clone (in progress-now a rolling chassis)
www.gate.net/~teblum

Old July 19th 03, 09:21 PM
Tom Blum

As a musician, I use the 'Stars & Stripes' spinning method. If I am
spinning at the beat of Sousa, I am 120 rpm .

I have a bicycling friend who is also a musician, He does the same thing.
Must be nice to have a built in metronome. I thought I did until I got my
"tach".

It turns out, my internal tach varies with resistance. If peddling is hard,
my percieved cadence is higher than actual.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Spinning Guide? Roger Zoul General 22 July 26th 04 06:00 AM
Thinking of Becoming Spinning Instructor &Roo General 3 July 22nd 04 01:11 PM
Spinning Shoes? What are they? HardwareLust Techniques 2 July 11th 04 02:37 PM