Dominant foot questions

Old December 13th 03, 06:58 AM
samuel

Default Dominant foot questions

Right Handed, Right footed, Right eye is dominant.

I start my mounts with my left foot (Rollback, static, forward, running,
step over, reverse step over) except for my kick up mount which I have
my right foot on the pedal to start and kick with my left.

Freemounting a giraffe is left foot on the bottom.

I idle with my left foot down, feels like i have more control from my
dominant foot on top.

In running, I always put my right foot back to start.

In hopping on the uni, I'm a bit strange. I hold the seat with my right
hand and hop with right foot forward. I learnt to crank/pedal grab and
grind this way. My dominant hopping direction is to the left - im
hopeless to the right and can get hardly any height.

And while I dont see how prfering manuals or automatics has anything to
do with preference for feet, I'm a manual man....uses less fuel and
feels like I have more control over the vehicle.

--
samuel - TROGDOR!! TROGDOR!!!

Gazzaloddi - Who says three inches can't be satisfying?
samuel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3535

Old December 13th 03, 01:43 PM
brian.slater

Klaas Bil wrote:
*Nor do I, but I noticed that if I read for some time, I have more
trouble with far focus as compared to when I have been out in the
open
(looking farther away). This is a temporary effect but a tiny little
bit of it may be remnant.*

Actually, this is one of the common ways to become nearsighted: doing a
lot of close work -without- reading glasses. I wore glasses for
distance (nearsighted) from when I was about 11 or 12 until I was in my
thirties, when I had some bio-feedback training to learn to relax the
focusing muscle, and now don't need glasses for -distance- at 54.

The way it was explained to me was, I had over-excited the focusing
muscle (singular) with close work, and it then, as with any muscle,
would stay excited. All I know is the bio-feedback worked and it gives
me a perfect excu . . . uh, reason to fly kites, travel to pretty
scenery, and watch beautiful women (and 99.9999%+ are beautiful in
someway). I convinced my wife to try weak reading glasses while she was
doing computer work and she said that she had less headaches and her
distance vision was better when she looked up from the monitor (instead
of being blurred for a few seconds).

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old December 15th 03, 03:09 AM
Klaas Bil

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:43:33 -0600, brian.slater
.com wrote:

I had some bio-feedback training to learn to relax the
focusing muscle, and now don't need glasses for -distance- at 54.

My distance vision has improved with age too. I have wondered around age
30 whether I needed glasses for driving, doctor said no after testing.
Now at age 50 my distance vision has improved and I'm sure I don't need
them. And this was without biofeedback, meaning that it can be a natural
drift in focal length of the eye lens. If I would have done biofeedback
for the purpose I would of course credit it for the improvement!

I now have cheap reading glasses but I seldom use them. I think that if
you use them regularly, your focusing muscles become lazy. That's the
other side of the coin (the coin being your argument).

fly kites, travel to pretty
scenery, and watch beautiful women

The inclusion of beaufitul women in that lists seems to imply that you
look at them only from a distance. Is that age-related too? :-))

Klaas Bil

reposted directly on the forum. after almost 24 hours my newsgroup post
still didn't show up.

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old December 15th 03, 09:15 AM
wobbling bear

there was a previous post recently about lefties:

being very clumsy I suppose I have two left hands!

I am right handed but:
fire pistol with left hand (fairly well)
play tennis with left or right hand (changing hands when needed, same
applies for backstrokes) though I do not know to serve with left hand.

when I was younger and practising 100meters dash I started with my left
foot
when I did high jump I used any foot (the same while jumping fences)

my right foot is dominant with uni (I can't do anything starting wiht my
left foot)

I drive a car with a stick (I used to *hate* automatic gear until I
broke my left achille's tendon)

so.....

bear

--
wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

Old December 15th 03, 05:44 PM
brian.slater

Klaas Bil wrote:
*fly kites, travel to pretty
scenery, and watch beautiful women

The inclusion of beaufitul women in that lists seems to imply that you
look at them only from a distance. Is that age-related too? :-))

Klaas Bil *

No, I enjoy watching at any distance, of course it gets more interesting
when you get -really- close, but that doesn't help my distance vision.
My biggest vision problem is when I'm doing tango or waltz
(international style ballroom - body contact), I have to look were we're
going instead of at the woman in my arms.

Old December 15th 03, 07:59 PM
onewheelwizzard

My stats:
Right-everthing-ed.
Hop with right foot forward using left hand on handle, I have serious
trouble going to my left.
Mount with right foot on pedal first, but I can side mount either
direction.
Idle, 1-foot, etc. right foot down or ... just better with right foot.
Write with right hand. Play tennis with same. Kick with right foot,
etc ... as I said, right-everthing-ed.

--
onewheelwizzard - Rincewind, Wizzard Inept

What, my name? Well, usually people call me "Get him!" Of course, when
they want to be formal they'll say "Don't let him get away!"
onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

Old December 16th 03, 12:58 AM
TheObieOne3226

I:

write right
throw right
learned to mount right down
perform 1 foot skills with right on pedal
hop to left with right crank forward(can hop to right but not as well)
hold seat with right hand(or left, again right feels better)

I have no clue what this says about me or does to the list. However i
think in unicycling the body part you start with(when learning to ride
or a new skill) is the one you will almost always use. That is unless
you make a concious effort to switch.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

Old December 16th 03, 01:39 AM
supertones

I think it's discouraging to learn a trick you already know on the other
foot. I can freemount keeping the wheel still ( forget what thats called
) left foot on floor, right on pedal. A couple times I stood there and
switched feet, and i'm like " how can I do that". I think i'd have to
forget I can do it the other way and learn it over again. It's kinda
like that with riding backwards for me, forwards I can just go, but
backwards I have to start back at the beginning.

Andrew

--
supertones
supertones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4499