Sydney: Driver charged over cyclist's death

Old November 6th 05, 05:42 AM
cfsmtb

Default Sydney: Driver charged over cyclist's death

Not pleasant news.

Driver charged over cyclist's death
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/....html?from=rss

November 6, 2005 - 1:17PM

A man has been charged over the death of a teenage cyclist on Sydney's
northern beaches.

An 18-year-old woman was cycling along Barrenjoey Road at Palm Beach
about 4.45am today when she was hit by a four-wheel-drive towing a
boat.

The woman, from Palm Beach, died at the scene but her male cycling
partner escaped injury.

Police allege the four-wheel-drive failed to stop, continuing north
along Barrenjoey Road.

A 47-year-old Terrey Hills man later attended Mona Vale Police Station
and was questioned by police.

Officers have charged him with negligent driving occasioning death and
failing to stop after an accident.

The man, whose driving licence has been confiscated, was granted bail.

He will appear in court on a date to be fixed.

--
cfsmtb

Old November 6th 05, 06:13 AM
ritcho

cfsmtb Wrote:
Not pleasant news.

[...]

I heard this on the radio... so the guy failed to stop? I wonder if he
knew he'd taken someone's life?...

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old November 6th 05, 11:13 AM
Alan Erskine

"ritcho" wrote in message

Not pleasant news.

Doesn't matter; the ******* failed to stop.

--
Alan Erskine

Old November 6th 05, 03:44 PM
Berry

Alan Erskine wrote:
"ritcho" wrote in message

cfsmtb Wrote:
Not pleasant news.

[...]

i think that was little boy asshole marty mallace sister- that will
teacher
to ride in the bike in her next life.

Old November 6th 05, 08:05 PM
scotty72

ritcho Wrote:
I heard this on the radio... so the guy failed to stop? I wonder if he
knew he'd taken someone's life?...

Ritch

Yes he did; He later turned himself into police.

You don't ram a cyclist from behind and bounce over her, destroying the
bike, without knowing.

--
scotty72

Old November 6th 05, 09:31 PM
Sir Lex

Alan Erskine wrote:

cfsmtb Wrote:

Not pleasant news.

Driver charged over cyclist's death
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/....html?from=rss

snip

Doesn't matter; the ******* failed to stop.

Failing to stop after an accident means up to 15 years in the naughty
boy house in SA. This should be the case all over the nation.
Old November 7th 05, 12:54 AM
cfsmtb

scotty72 Wrote:
Yes he did; He later turned himself into police.

You don't ram a cyclist from behind and bounce over her, destroying the
bike, without knowing.

The big clue here is that he was a 4WD owner...

QLD: Driver jailed for maiming triathlete
http://tinyurl.com/7ky58

Quote from Kellie Moule:

"The laws are fairly tough . . . but I think if the attitude of people
changes and there's a lot of pressure put on them to have respect for
cyclists, then we have really won," Moule said. "Even if, as a
motorist, you are angered at a cyclist you think has done the wrong
thing, just remember how big and how powerful your car is and how
small, fragile and unprotected the cyclist is," she said. "The cyclist
is always going to come off second-best, and you don't just impact the
cyclist, you impact their friends, their family, everyone."

--
cfsmtb

Old November 7th 05, 02:17 AM
suzyj

Just sent the following letter in to the SMH:

"Another 4wd hits a cyclist. Another human being left at the side of
the road to die. Another demonstration, as if we needed it, of the
callousness inherent in the people who choose to drive these
monstrosities in the city. Soon to be followed by yet another example
of the court's complete disregard for human life."

I'm not expecting them to publish it, but it felt good to vent.

Regards,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old November 7th 05, 02:45 AM
Tamyka Bell

suzyj wrote:

Just sent the following letter in to the SMH:

"Another 4wd hits a cyclist. Another human being left at the side of
the road to die. Another demonstration, as if we needed it, of the
callousness inherent in the people who choose to drive these
monstrosities in the city. Soon to be followed by yet another example
of the court's complete disregard for human life."

I'm not expecting them to publish it, but it felt good to vent.

Regards,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Suzy,

you are a poet.

Tam
Old November 7th 05, 03:14 AM
cfsmtb

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Suzy,

you are a poet.

Tam

Brilliant stuff, I tend to vere wildly btw either sweary or too
politely 'objective' (rather than subjective). Tried to blog about it &
related stuff. Dunno if the entry made me feel any better, it's with the
young womans family & friends where my thoughts are.

--
cfsmtb

Why SMIDSYs happen Tony Raven UK 104 October 30th 05 02:36 PM
Police in London attack critical mass David Hansen UK 223 October 15th 05 05:11 PM
US cyclist charged after pedestrian death. PiledHigher Australia 6 September 13th 05 08:54 AM
A better article about Alan Liu and Jill Mason (cyclists struck by drunk driver Easter Sunday) Marian Goldeen General 2 April 14th 04 11:51 PM
Mutual respect - long-ish vernon levy UK 4 January 31st 04 07:04 PM