ONE PAIR USED ALL-WOOD-SOLED DETTO PIETRO CYCLING SHOES FOR SALE $50 obo includes shipping to you in lower cont. U.S.

Old May 24th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Default ONE PAIR USED ALL-WOOD-SOLED DETTO PIETRO CYCLING SHOES FOR SALE $50 obo includes shipping to you in lower cont. U.S.

One pair used all-wood-soled, Detto Pietro cycling shoes for sale: $50
obo includes shipping to you in lower 48. Description below taken from
discussion of the shoes on another mailing list:

--- Joe Starck wrote:

--- anonymous bikelist member wrote:

Joe inquired about his Detto wood soled track

racing shoes...The all wood soled ones are pretty cool, some trackie may have a serious jones for 'em and be willing to spend all his lunch money for the week on 'em.

I have a NOS pair of those same shoes in my hand
now, though the suede strip
on the back of mine is blue to match the blue in

the
"DETTO" logos. Mine
have no labels or markings other than the "DETTO",
but I think these are one
of the variants of the Art.74. The uppers are
essentialls the same as the
NOS Detto Art 74's I listed for sale on the list a
few hours ago. Don't
laugh, but for a while I was collecting vintage

NOS
cycling shoes, so I have
these same Detto's in the polished wood track

racing
sole, the leather
outter sole w/ wood inner sole, full leather sole
and molded plastic sole.
They're actually quite comfortable, with the very
soft and thin leather
uppers conforming instantly to your foot.

I tried them on last night and they do feel as you
say
above, and though I wrote last night below about the
sad look of these shoes -- because the leather
doesn't
stand up sittin' in the closet -- once they were on
my
feet they came alive. Thanks for the info.
-Joe Starck

Best to
not have wide feet
though, as these all run pretty narrow. My former
tandem stoker used a NOS
pair of the leather outter / wood inner soled

track
shoes for many miles and
found them very comfortable -- though I did remove
the slotted cleat so she
could sort of walk around. IN NOS condition the
full polished wood soled
track shoes would probably fetch a good price on
eBay...

Joe Starck wrote:

I couldn't find any pics of these shoes anywhere

on
the net, and so I have no idea if these are
desirable
for collectors or not; maybe someone can post a

pic
or
tell me what these shoes generally sell for. The
black leather, faded, and extra-faded where you'd
expect it, is all intact. The wood is dark-blonde
colored with detto #78 cleats; "Yellow Jersey" has
these same cleats pictured in their "classic

cleats"
website section. Thin leather uppers with little
diamond perforations throughout. There's a

one-inch
wide strip of grey leather up the heel backside.
The
leather on these shoes are of a thinnness such

that
it
all pretty much lays down flat atop the soles, but
did
these uppers ever stand upright when new? (dunno,
myself) There's a 1.25in by 3.5in leather strip
"DETTO" logo sewn on one side of each shoe; these
letters are upper case, and the larger "D" and "O"
ahve centers colored in blue with a lowercase "dp"
centered in the "O" and a lowercase "dettopietro"
circling the inside of the "O" from six to noon.
These labels are scuffed. There's a small
green/white/red lowercase "detto" label tab near

the
laces on each shoe. I've typed all this

description
not because I'm trying to hype a sale here but so
that
maybe someone can recognize these shoes and tell

me
what they are, maybe model no. and year of
manufacture
and whatnot. There's no size no. on them but they
fit
me, a 9ish, 42ish. So, if someone wants them make
me
an offer. The way the leather lays flat, and

being
old and used, they have a pathetic look to them;

"I have a pair of these that I still wear. The limp condition of the
leather is an indication of excellent condition. Mine used to be this
way, but now they have dried out a bit and are a bit stiffer, and
almost retain their shape when removed." -anon. bikelist member

but
on the foot, toeclips & straps do what the uppers
don't, right? Did roadies as well as trackies

wear
these in their heyday?

Joe Starck
Madison, WI

Old May 26th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

They fit me: a 9ish, 42ish.
-Joe Starck

ONE PAIR USED, ALL-WOOD-SOLED, DETTO PIETRO CYCLING SHOES FOR SALE $50 obo includes shipping to lower cont. U.S. [email protected] Racing 0 May 24th 06 02:08 AM
Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM