Converting coaster brake to hand brake

Old January 15th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
cmcanulty

Default Converting coaster brake to hand brake

I have a speed coaster brake junker I want to convert to fixed gear by
removing the brake and adding hand brakes. Does anyone know what parts
of the brake to remove and what to leave in for the one gear to work?

Old January 16th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Coaster brakes really don't work that way. If you took the arm that
attaches to the frame off, it would simulate a "fixed" effect until you
started pedaling again and the it would loosen up and ride normal. The
poormans way is to take a freewhll hub and weld or jb weld a bmx
freewheel cluster to the hub so it won't ratchet anymore. These methods
are crude at best, I suggest doing it right if you want the right
performance.

Old January 16th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On 15 Jan 2007 06:55:05 -0800, "cmcanulty" may
have said:

I have a speed coaster brake junker I want to convert to fixed gear by
removing the brake and adding hand brakes. Does anyone know what parts
of the brake to remove and what to leave in for the one gear to work?

In the two that I've taken apart with an eye toward such a result, it
became obvious that trying to modify them by merely "taking something
out" would not work. Mostly, that's because the same bits that engage
to drive the wheel forward are also the bits that disengage the
sprocket from the hub and couple the pedal force into the brake. In
other words, it's not that the coaster brake hub is not designed to do
what you want to do, it's that the coaster brake hub is designed to
not do what you want to do.