Folding Tire too Tight for Rim

Old May 31st 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Folding Tire too Tight for Rim

On May 31, 3:17*am, bicycle_disciple
wrote:
Hi all,

I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
"pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
out?

B.D

A little dish-soap helps sometimes. Makes grabbing the rest of the
wheel hard if you get it all over the place, though. Nice supple tires
like those tires will loosen up a bit after they have been mounted.

Flat tires like those (and Veloflex, etc) go on nicely if you get the
first bead toward the middle, and fold the tread over in a way. So it
sort of looks like an uninflated tubular.

Make sure with nice wheels and tires like those you have tubes that
are fast too. It would be a shame to waste a combo like that with slow
tubes.

Joseph
Old June 1st 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
bicycle_disciple wrote:
Hi all,

I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
"pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
out?

B.D

Three things usually work:

1) Try fitting it without the tube first, using tyre levers. Sometimes
this stretches the bead slightly.

2) Get loads of talc on the tube.

3) Before the final push, check the beads are in the middle of the rim
everywhere else round the wheel.

The good news is that kevlar beads always become much looser after a
couple of weeks on the rim, so subsequent puncture repair isn't the
nightmare you'd expect.

....and as a coda to this, I removed a Vredestein Fortezza - the tightest
tyre I've ever had to fit - using two hub QR levers yesterday. No problem.
Old June 1st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Nearly all folding tires are built undersized because, unlike steel, the
kevlar used for the bead stretches somewhat. One good tip I've heard is
to mount a new foldy on a spare rim and store it slightly over inflated
for a while. this pre-stretches the bead a little, making mounting
easier. It's actually an old tubular (sew-up) trick.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old June 1st 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

bicycle_disciple wrote:
Hi all,

I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
"pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
out?

B.D

Lots of good tips posted already, but if and when they aren't enough for
you, /the/ tool, IMHO, is the VAR tire tool. It's #425 on this page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/var/pages/var0051.html

It works, period.

I've got several and wouldn't be without it, having several tight
tire/rim combinations in my stable. (True, most tires need no levers at
all, but some /do/)

My US sources for this tool have dried up (Terry bicycles, third hand,
etc.), and a quick Google only found me UK sources, but I'm sure you can
find them if you want to spend more than a few minutes looking.

Best of luck,

Mark J.
Old June 2nd 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BFWG

www.SharonFund.com

"bicycle_disciple" wrote in message
Hi all,

I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
"pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
out?

B.D

Rim tape can occupy lots of room you might need to make installation of a
tight tire easier. Try VeloPlugs from Velocity (I think they'll work on a
HED wheel), or the very thinnest tape (Zipp makes nice thin but protective
tape and I like Ritchey snap-on rim bands for tighter rims) to free up every
micro-mm of space possible. Velox rim tape takes up quite a bit of room and
is not my first choice when tires are twight (like tiger)... I think HED
rims have no channel in the center of the rim bed which makes installing
tires tough... Watch this vid and see if it helps...
http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?vie...ntent&Itemid=3

Old June 2nd 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 2, 3:14*am, "BFWG" wrote:

*Watch this vid and see if it helps...http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?vie...how-to-change-...

No offense intended, but I'd like to shoot this vid over and give Mr.
Beefy the old (cheap, wire bead) Conti tire and Campy rim combo I had
back in the day.

"Heel of the hand", my ass.

Yeah, let's show all the ladies how to take a flying locker lip on
that valve stem! Hey, some candle light, a little wine... --D-y
Old June 2nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 2, 2:14 am, "BFWG" wrote:
[...]

tires tough... Watch this vid and see if it helps...http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?vie...how-to-change-...

The video shows the installation of a tire which is pretty loose. If
the tire is tight, he wont be able to get it in so quickly. He will
need to go around the whole tire to get the beads in the middle of the
rim. Once he does that, it may still be very tight. He will need to
try to roll the tire in with his palms, but he won't get enough force
to do so from that position. He will probably have to put the valve
side of the wheel on the floor, and the opposite end facing up. Using
his weight and a lot of strength he may be able to massage and roll
the tire into the rim.

Andres