Tube vending machines

Old September 13th 14, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Tube vending machines

Folks,

When a relative in Germany (serious bike rider) told me that he bought a
tube via a vending machine after he blew a tube I thought he was pulling
my leg. Then someone else said "No, no, we have those machines" and
actually showed me one. Looked almost like on this photo, except that
the price has now gone up to 7.50 Euros:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30845644@N04/8118581596/

Stores are normally closed on Sundays over there which is why they have
so many cigarette machines. But I have never seen a tube machine until
early this week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 13th 14, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:50:16 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

When a relative in Germany (serious bike rider) told me that he bought a
tube via a vending machine after he blew a tube I thought he was pulling
my leg. Then someone else said "No, no, we have those machines" and
actually showed me one. Looked almost like on this photo, except that
the price has now gone up to 7.50 Euros:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30845644@N04/8118581596/

Stores are normally closed on Sundays over there which is why they have
so many cigarette machines. But I have never seen a tube machine until
early this week.

Ummm...
http://www.bikefixtation.com/products/high-security-vending-machine
http://www.bikefixtation.com
http://popupcity.net/vending-machines-for-bike-parts/
http://www.rideyourbike.com/vendingmachine.html
http://www.expressbiker.com
and plenty more. Seems to be a common and popular idea, although I
have yet to see one anywhere in my area (Santa Cruz CA USA).

For a while, the local coffee and sandwich dispensary on Hwy 9 had a
box of bicycle repair parts available. I forgot the name of the
company. It looked fairly well equiped for the typical emergency
repairs. The hardware store across the street has a bicycle trivia
section, so the parts box went away. A floor pump, patches, and a few
tubes are still available.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 13th 14, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

I came across several in Germany. Last cycling week in the Alpes and
Dolomites a friend snapped his RD cable. We were in Viggo di Fassa Italy
a larger and also in the summer busy town so I said to him lets find a
bike shop and get a new one. It was around noon but the shops were
closed until 14.30 u. WTF? I really don't understand the opening hours
in Italy. Wish they had a RD cable vending machine ;-).

Lou
Old September 13th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/sm1eYw

there's a basic psycho-social law operating here....

I'm running out of space packing muh truck.....

the lathe may fit sideways under the amp area...
Old September 13th 14, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/13/2014 4:50 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

I came across several in Germany. Last cycling week in the Alpes and
Dolomites a friend snapped his RD cable. We were in Viggo di Fassa Italy
a larger and also in the summer busy town so I said to him lets find a
bike shop and get a new one. It was around noon but the shops were
closed until 14.30 u. WTF? I really don't understand the opening hours
in Italy. Wish they had a RD cable vending machine ;-).

My rear derailleur cable vending machine is my saddle bag.

It also vends inner tubes, patches, a few 5mm screws and nuts, some zip
ties, and a few inches of baling wire.

I suppose I could save several ounces by leaving that stuff home, but it
gives me comfort to have it along.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 13th 14, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/13/2014 8:39 AM, wrote:

http://goo.gl/sm1eYw

A great American institution!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 15th 14, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

We have one in Portland. http://bikeportland.org/2014/08/07/c...ortland-109875

But there are enough bike shops in the downtown core and close-in environs that you don't need a machine, except maybe after hours. The vending machine at Green Zebra is just another Portland novelty item. Along with the bicycle bars, etc. I'm trying to think of any PDX bicycle novelty item that has really become a necessity or even a real convenience. I let you know if I think of anything.

-- Jay Beattie

Old September 15th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NO RAIN ADAPTS or inventions ?

http://gearjunkie.com/bike-fixtation-kiosk
Old September 15th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Well, I get roadside bicycle service with my AAA membership in Oregon. Assuming I have a stroke and forget how to fix a flat, I'll give them a call -- if I remember how to use a phone.

http://www.oregon.aaa.com/membership...mail.yahoo.com

Other than that, no kiosks except the one at Green Zebra. I don't know how I've gotten along without a kiosk all these years! Or the AAA, for that matter.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 15th 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/15/2014 2:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Well, I get roadside bicycle service with my AAA membership in Oregon. Assuming I have a stroke and forget how to fix a flat, I'll give them a call -- if I remember how to use a phone.

http://www.oregon.aaa.com/membership...mail.yahoo.com

Cool. I tried "Better World Club" instead of AAA for one year but it was
not good. Glad to see AAA offer something similar.