Inflatable boat in bike trailer?

Old June 14th 09, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

Default Inflatable boat in bike trailer?

I noticed recently that you could get a two or three person inflatable
boat suitable for quiet waters such as canals which weigh several kg
and could be easily carried in a bike trailer. I'm wondering about the
possibilities of carrying the bike and its trailer in such a
boat. That would allow me to make boat trips which didn't have to
return to the place where I'd locked up the bike and trailer.

The bike is a full size city hybrid, and the trailer is a one-wheel
Edinburgh bike co-op thing rather like a Bob Yak except for the price.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old June 14th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_6_]

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:14:01 +0000, Chris Malcolm wrote:

I noticed recently that you could get a two or three person inflatable
boat suitable for quiet waters such as canals which weigh several kg and
could be easily carried in a bike trailer. I'm wondering about the
possibilities of carrying the bike and its trailer in such a boat. That
would allow me to make boat trips which didn't have to return to the
place where I'd locked up the bike and trailer.

The bike is a full size city hybrid, and the trailer is a one-wheel
Edinburgh bike co-op thing rather like a Bob Yak except for the price.

One of these:
http://pics.equinoxtrailers.com/Floating%20Trailer/
or have a look he
http://www.bikeforest.com/?m=200308
or he
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32907

If you ask he
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/

you'll probably find someone that's already done it.

Cheers,
Mark

Old June 19th 09, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

Mark wrote:
[...]

Look into a lightweight powered parascender as well and you'll have
covered all the options.

TerryJ
Old July 21st 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_6_]

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:03:28 -0500, Mark wrote:

[...]

Here's a good example but without the trailer:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...300#post196300

Cheers,
Mark
Old July 21st 09, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV19ISy_V0M
Old July 22nd 09, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

wrote:

I noticed recently that you could get a two or three person inflatable
boat suitable for quiet waters such as canals which weigh several kg
and could be easily carried in a bike trailer. I'm wondering about the
possibilities of carrying the bike and its trailer in such a
boat. That would allow me to make boat trips which didn't have to
return to the place where I'd locked up the bike and trailer.

The bike is a full size city hybrid, and the trailer is a one-wheel
Edinburgh bike co-op thing rather like a Bob Yak except for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV19ISy_V0M

That shuttle bike is a very nice idea. Two inflatable outriggers hold
your bike out of the water with a propeller driven by the back wheel,
a water bicycle. It all fits in a backpack and is claimed to assemble
and disassemble quickly. The only downside is the price, which seems
to be at least several hundred pounds. You can get standard inflatable
dinghies which will carry a bike at less than 10% of that price.

--
Chris Malcolm