About Hamilton's fracture

Old July 25th 03, 11:08 PM
James Annan

Default About Hamilton's fracture

Paul Southworth wrote:

From what I've heard, his collarbone is not separated and not broken
through, only cracked. If he fell on it, there's a good chance it
would separate and he might be having it screwed together. Furthermore
sometimes people break a collarbone and find that it doesn't knit
back together easily or quickly. In his current condition I predict
he will heal up easily without surgery or other complications - no
guarantee of that if he falls again.

I agree it is not a career-threatening injury, and I'm not calling
him stupid for riding the tour, just pointing out that if he really
bashed it good he'd probably regret the decision.

So there seems to be a small risk that by continuing riding, he might
end up with a worse injury that would take a few months rather than
weeks to heal. If the tour is the most important event to him, then I
still don't see how that makes it sensible to give up on this major
event, just to slightly reduce the risk of missing out on some more
minor stuff over the next couple of months.

James

Old July 26th 03, 07:09 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
James Annan wrote:
So there seems to be a small risk that by continuing riding, he might
end up with a worse injury that would take a few months rather than
weeks to heal. If the tour is the most important event to him, then I
still don't see how that makes it sensible to give up on this major
event, just to slightly reduce the risk of missing out on some more
minor stuff over the next couple of months.

What's better for him, 5th or 6th in the Tour or 1st in the Vuelta?

But it's his life, this is just his choice, he wants to ride.

--Paul