handlebar width

Old March 14th 04, 12:46 PM
Callistus Valerius

Default handlebar width

I've always gone with narrow handlebars due to aerodynamics, but wide bars
were in vogue at one time. What was the rational for using wide bars? I
think Lance uses wide bars.

Old March 14th 04, 12:53 PM
psycholist

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
link.net...
I've always gone with narrow handlebars due to aerodynamics, but wide bars
were in vogue at one time. What was the rational for using wide bars? I
think Lance uses wide bars.

It opens up your chest/lung area for easier breathing. I've got shoulders
like a gorilla and the first bike I got came with narrow bars. I rode with
them for a long time. When I finally changed them out, the difference was
quite noticeable ... at least in terms of comfort, if not necessarily
performance. It did really seem to help me improve my climbing on smaller
hills where I wasn't inclined to put my hands on the tops of the bars.

Bob C.