WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

Old August 26th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

On 8/26/2019 5:48 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 26 August 2019 18:14:12 UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:12:12 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Frank, stop showing your engineering inability. Did I not talk about the Octalink BB? Is that the same diameter? And since you seem to think that mild steel and Chrome Moly have the same torsional strength why do they make drive shafts on high performance cars out of chrome moly instead of mild steal since the cost difference is 200%? They do no increase the diameters.

Hey TOM! we're taking bets on what you will change the subject to when
Frank replies to you (and shoots you down again). Care to get in on
the wager? Right now $0.10 gets you $10.00 if you guess the subject
correctly.

I wish that this thread was still about someone having a Suntour Cyclone bottom bracket spindle they would be willing to part with. ;(

Sure doesn't take long here for a thread to be hijacked. That's what it is even though Frank insists it's just topic drift.

Cheers

Here's a vintage chromed one for only twice the price of our
new black finish spindle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-1990-s-...AOSw2k9co4G S

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 27th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Thanks again Andrew. I already have a few Shimano bottom bracket spindles I could use. However, I really do want to restore this bike to all Suntour Cyclone components which is why I bought the NOS Suntour Cyclone BB cups when I saw them at a nice low price.

Cheers
Old August 27th 19, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I'll look, because I still have a Cyclone crank -- but I bet the BB is long gone.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 27th 19, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Thanks and much appreciated.

Cheers
Old August 27th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/26/2019 5:04 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Tom Kunich writes:

Frank, stop showing your engineering inability. Did I not talk about
the Octalink BB? Is that the same diameter? And since you seem to
think that mild steel and Chrome Moly have the same torsional strength
why do they make drive shafts on high performance cars out of chrome
moly instead of mild steal since the cost difference is 200%? They do
no increase the diameters.

It would help if you quoted the stuff you're objecting to. Frank's
point, if I understood it correctly, was that strength != stiffness.
Chalo commented on a lack of stiffness in some obsolete bottom bracket
format or another, not a lack of strength.

I believe Frank would say that CrMo and mild steel have approximately
the same stiffness, and also that he would be right.

Correct.

I don't think Tom understands the difference between strength and
stiffness. And as usual, he's misstating my points in general.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 27th 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

No joy. I got rid of a lot of my really old stuff, so I'm not surprised. I did find a 113mm Phil BB. Kind of rusty with somewhat rough bearings. A classic from the 70s-80s.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 27th 19, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for looking Jay.

Cheers
Old August 27th 19, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 2:04:35 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
Tom Kunich writes:

Frank, stop showing your engineering inability. Did I not talk about
the Octalink BB? Is that the same diameter? And since you seem to
think that mild steel and Chrome Moly have the same torsional strength
why do they make drive shafts on high performance cars out of chrome
moly instead of mild steal since the cost difference is 200%? They do
no increase the diameters.

It would help if you quoted the stuff you're objecting to. Frank's
point, if I understood it correctly, was that strength != stiffness.
Chalo commented on a lack of stiffness in some obsolete bottom bracket
format or another, not a lack of strength.

I believe Frank would say that CrMo and mild steel have approximately
the same stiffness, and also that he would be right.

While it is easy to say that the Young's modulus of ferrous materials is "about the same" it isn't the same and the higher grade materials are indeed stiffer if not by much. But these higher grade materials allowed for large improvements in power transfer.
Old August 27th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Tom Kunich writes:

[...]

"Is that true"? Always a valid question when dealing with Tom, so just
let us in on your reference so we can determine whether this time Tom
is telling us the truth; or just another lie?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 28th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Tom Kunich writes:

[...]

Now that you've googled "modulus of elasticity," why not give values for two
alloys we were talking about? And why not give the percent difference? Quantify!

I ask because in reality, the differences are tiny.

But these higher grade materials allowed for large improvements in power transfer.

Explain. If you take a bottom bracket axle made of steel with yield strength
100,000 psi and replace it with an identical part made of steel with yield
strength 120,000 psi, will it transfer more power from the same rider?

- Frank Krygowski